Khruangbin

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004
    • 16382

    #76
    Oh, you're one to talk. You root kangaroos and think Toto is still relevant.


    Toto.

    Comment

    • Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004
      • 16382

      #77
      Bitchin'

      Comment

      • Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

        • Oct 2003
        • 35276

        #78
        Who sticks Joe Elliot's face on their album cover?

        Comment

        • Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004
          • 16382

          #79
          French band, Swiss singer, impossible album to get. I don't do digital downloads

          Comment

          • Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004
            • 16382

            #80
            Los Bitchos is another band I greatly admire. Love Serra Petale's guitar work.



            By the way, you cretins, here's what Serra had to say about her guitar "hero" Edwardo Van Halen:

            "“Unfortunately, I'm not Eddie Van Halen – may he rest in peace – but his guitar sound and style of playing are forever one of my influences. I've always tried to emulate him, even though I can’t go that fast. It was the fact that he could make me feel just by the guitar, that's what we go for."


            Story here:

            The guitarist explains her love for ‘80s chorus and retro Italia guitars, and how the Cumbia quartet roped Franz Ferdinand's Alex Kapranos into production duties for their debut album, Let the Festivities Begin!

            Comment

            • FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

              • Jan 2004
              • 58920

              #81
              Interesting mix of influences in there. A little bit of reggae... a little bit of funk... a little bit of surf guitar. Not really hearing Eddie's influence in there at all, but they seem like a decent band... even if none of them apparently want to sing.

              Eat Us And Smile

              Cenk For America 2024!!

              Justice Democrats


              "If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

              Comment

              • Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

                • Dec 2003
                • 7516

                #82
                Twonabomber will get a boner when he sees that Keytar!

                I like how she is influenced by Ed, but doesn't sound or play exactly like him. I'd like to go see this band in a small venue. I have to believe I'd be blown away seeing them up close and personal, live.

                I was a fan of Larkin Poe, before seeing them live, but seeing them in a super small venue, just blew me away. One of the best live shows I saw that year.

                It's funny Kristy likes this, as they are pretty much a jam band, yet she claims to hate jam bands like Tedeschi Trucks. With TTB you get an amazing jam band and a great voice with Susan Tedeschi, as well as some of the others they let sing. But hey, we all know she's a weird "girl".

                I wonder if Kristy likes Billy Strings?

                Comment

                • Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 16382

                  #83
                  Originally posted by Von Halen

                  I like how she is influenced by Ed, but doesn't sound or play exactly like him. I'd like to go see this band in a small venue. I have to believe I'd be blown away seeing them up close and personal, live.
                  I do. There will never be another Eddie and although there are numerous guitar players out there who not only do their best to steal Eddie's style but his tone as well. I think Eddie's chorus tone was more prominent during the S P A M M Y years and I can hear that "influence" in Serra Petale's playing. What I don't hear is much of Robin Guthrie's of the Cocteau Twins playing. Robin was known for layering a lot of chorus to the point of overkill like doubling Fender 12 string Strats with Fender Jazz Masters through various amps to the point of overkill. Personally, I would not wipe my F A T American ass with a Cocteau Twins album and Guthrie's playing is so monotonous and boring to me although Liz's voice made up for it.

                  Serra Petale's playing at least to me sounds like she came straight out of the school of Ennio Morricone you know, the guy who did those great Clint Eastwood soundtracks such as 'For A Few Dollars More' and 'The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly.' Los Bitchos are from London but they don't sound at all limey. "Cumbia" music with a tinge of a Turkish groove is refreshing compared the majority of shit like Olivia Rodrigo and Gracie Abrams and all that other throwaway "bad girl with an attitude" Disney Princess pop nonsense. Give me real musicians playing real instruments any day. I don't think they are jam band either. Far from it. No six-hour long guitar solos and unlike Derek Trucks they bathe themselves once in a while. I love to see them play live in a small venue as well. They are currently doing a small tour of the U.S. after doing South by Southwest but they are not coming to Denvoid this time around. They are coming to Seattle but slave FORD is too Koch-funded to care about quality music anymore.

                  Surprised you like Larkin Poe. Thought they sucked not because they weren't any good but because they were on stage with Elvis Costello who can't sing worth a shit and walked all over Rebecca and Megan's vocal harmonies. He ruined that show.

                  Comment

                  • Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 11984

                    #84
                    Originally posted by Kristy
                    I do. There will never be another Eddie and although there are numerous guitar players out there who not only do their best to steal Eddie's style but his tone as well. I think Eddie's chorus tone was more prominent during the S P A M M Y years and I can hear that "influence" in Serra Petale's playing. What I don't hear is much of Robin Guthrie's of the Cocteau Twins playing. Robin was known for layering a lot of chorus to the point of overkill like doubling Fender 12 string Strats with Fender Jazz Masters through various amps to the point of overkill. Personally, I would not wipe my F A T American ass with a Cocteau Twins album and Guthrie's playing is so monotonous and boring to me although Liz's voice made up for it.

                    Serra Petale's playing at least to me sounds like she came straight out of the school of Ennio Morricone you know, the guy who did those great Clint Eastwood soundtracks such as 'For A Few Dollars More' and 'The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly.' Los Bitchos are from London but they don't sound at all limey. "Cumbia" music with a tinge of a Turkish groove is refreshing compared the majority of shit like Olivia Rodrigo and Gracie Abrams and all that other throwaway "bad girl with an attitude" Disney Princess pop nonsense. Give me real musicians playing real instruments any day. I don't think they are jam band either. Far from it. No six-hour long guitar solos and unlike Derek Trucks they bathe themselves once in a while. I love to see them play live in a small venue as well. They are currently doing a small tour of the U.S. after doing South by Southwest but they are not coming to Denvoid this time around. They are coming to Seattle but slave FORD is too Koch-funded to care about quality music anymore.

                    Surprised you like Larkin Poe. Thought they sucked not because they weren't any good but because they were on stage with Elvis Costello who can't sing worth a shit and walked all over Rebecca and Megan's vocal harmonies. He ruined that show.
                    Looking back, I think the most distressing thing about Eddie's influence - at least among most of the more known/'name' players who Eddie influenced - is that they really only seemed to take the flash aspect of Ed's style, and didn't really latch onto the fact that Ed was a great all-around rock player. Not just the soloing and the licks, but the riffs/chords/songs.

                    Would readily agree there is only one Eddie. It always seemed weird to me - even more so circa early 2000s when all that EVH signature gear came out - that guitar players would run out and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars scooping up all that EVH gear, then learning Eddie's stuff note-for-note, then youtubing themselves trying to approximate what Eddie did:

                    It had already been done.

                    Early 1980s, hearing a player in a guitar store doing Eruption? Impressive.

                    Thirty years later on youtube? Boring.


                    Would be more impressive at this point to hear/see a youtuber guitarist doing something original that was good, rather than replicating someone else's licks.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

                    Comment

                    • twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

                      • Jan 2004
                      • 11212

                      #85
                      Originally posted by Von Halen
                      Twonabomber will get a boner when he sees that Keytar!
                      Nah. That's a cheap Yamaha. I got my vintage Casio!
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

                      Comment

                      • Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

                        • Dec 2003
                        • 7516

                        #86
                        06E34140-485E-42FA-A26F-00C45FA4F953.jpg
                        Originally posted by Kristy

                        Surprised you like Larkin Poe.
                        I love Larkin Poe. Took this pic.

                        Comment

                        • Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 32814

                          #87
                          Originally posted by Von Halen
                          Twonabomber will get a boner when he sees that Keytar!

                          I like how she is influenced by Ed, but doesn't sound or play exactly like him. I'd like to go see this band in a small venue. I have to believe I'd be blown away seeing them up close and personal, live.

                          I was a fan of Larkin Poe, before seeing them live, but seeing them in a super small venue, just blew me away. One of the best live shows I saw that year.

                          It's funny Kristy likes this, as they are pretty much a jam band, yet she claims to hate jam bands like Tedeschi Trucks. With TTB you get an amazing jam band and a great voice with Susan Tedeschi, as well as some of the others they let sing. But hey, we all know she's a weird "girl".

                          I wonder if Kristy likes Billy Strings?
                          Ed was influenced by Eric Clapton. He never sounded like Eric. Playing guitar is like signing your name. Some players are good forgers. Some aren’t. But if you just relax and play your own unique style comes out.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

                          Comment

                          • Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004
                            • 32814

                            #88
                            Originally posted by Terry
                            Looking back, I think the most distressing thing about Eddie's influence - at least among most of the more known/'name' players who Eddie influenced - is that they really only seemed to take the flash aspect of Ed's style, and didn't really latch onto the fact that Ed was a great all-around rock player. Not just the soloing and the licks, but the riffs/chords/songs.

                            Would readily agree there is only one Eddie. It always seemed weird to me - even more so circa early 2000s when all that EVH signature gear came out - that guitar players would run out and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars scooping up all that EVH gear, then learning Eddie's stuff note-for-note, then youtubing themselves trying to approximate what Eddie did:

                            It had already been done.

                            Early 1980s, hearing a player in a guitar store doing Eruption? Impressive.

                            Thirty years later on youtube? Boring.


                            Would be more impressive at this point to hear/see a youtuber guitarist doing something original that was good, rather than replicating someone else's licks.
                            I play mostly Fenders and Gibson’s. Always have. My main amp is a Marshall small box head modded by Dave Friedman. I also use a tricked out Deluxe Reverb if I’m playing rockabilly and surf stuff.

                            I can knock a few VH tunes out when I’m in the mood but yeah I rarely finger tap and do all that 80’s stuff. It’s all over done.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

                            Comment

                            • Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004
                              • 32814

                              #89
                              I was never into guitar wankery. It’s always been about the song for me. It’s about doing your part to make the song interesting. I play other instruments so I guess I have a broader view. Each part of a band is very different.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

                              Comment

                              • Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 11984

                                #90
                                Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                I play mostly Fenders and Gibson’s. Always have. My main amp is a Marshall small box head modded by Dave Friedman. I also use a tricked out Deluxe Reverb if I’m playing rockabilly and surf stuff.

                                I can knock a few VH tunes out when I’m in the mood but yeah I rarely finger tap and do all that 80’s stuff. It’s all over done.
                                I readily admit back in the early 1980s when I was hitting my teen years, me and two other buds started playing guitar around the same time - 1982 - and we were scrambling to learn Eddie's licks. Eddie was the hottest rock player going back then, without question.

                                I suppose I really started to notice the pervasiveness of Eddie's influence and flash guitar in general around 1984 or so (kicked into higher gear with guys like Vai and Malmsteen), and then for the rest of the 1980s with any given rock band - be it bands who had national exposure or local/amatuer bands - every single song had a guitar solo where the guitarist would throw everything and the kitchen sink into it. Rock guitarists in general terms became more concerned with flash solos than constructing great rock songs.

                                Last time I ever really played a lot of Van Halen stuff was maybe in the early 2000s, when VH guitar tab books that were reasonably accurate came out. Went out and got the 6 pack tabs, sat down and learned how to play all that CVH stuff I couldn't figure out by ear in the early 1980s (I can't read sheet music). Which was kind of neat, in terms of finally learning how to play something like Top Jimmy, which I could never figure out by ear because it had this weird tuning.

                                These days, when I do dust off one of my guitars and play it, I find I'm not even plugging into my amp any more.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

                                Comment

                                Working...