• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

No...you are imagining things.

Better is in the eye of the beholder.

HOWEVER....John Wayne had already been a MOVIE STAR for 20 years before Clint even got his first bit part in a cheesy flick in the 50s....

I say John Wayne is more legendary than Clint as far as Westerns go.

But they each had their different styles....and Clint surely ranks up there in the top 5....Clint is a better actor I feel....he has certainly taken on a larger variety of roles.....and Idon't think the Duke ever directed...
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 08-23-2006, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• EbDawson
      Veteran
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
      ..John Wayne had already been a MOVIE STAR for 20 years before Clint even got his first bit part in a cheesy flick in the 50s....

There's a western that pops up from time to time on the western channel. Ambush at Cimarron Pass. 1958. It's got a very young Clint in it, must have been before his Rawhide days.
      Last edited by EbDawson; 08-23-2006, 03:52 AM.
      "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

He was a contract actor at Universal by something like 1955 or 56. His first role was (uncredited) as a lab technician in "The Revenge Of The Creature" in 1955.

John Wayne's first film role was (also uncredited) as a Yale football player in "Brown Of Harvard" from 1926. So he got his start 29 years before Clint, in the silent-film era.

His first starring role was in "The Big Trail" in 1930.

The Big Trail:

Last edited by Hardrock69; 08-23-2006, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• bastardog
          Commando
          • Feb 2004

In terms of legendary I agree 100% that Wayne is da man.
          But comparing just the westerns......do you think that Wayne was better actor than Eastwood? or that the movies were better?

Maybe I have only seen the Wayne bad movies and the Eastwood good ones.......but Eastwood movies give me that feeling that makes you want to be a forbiden cowboy......while Wayne movies just entertainme a lot
          Bastardog

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Post #31:

Clint is a better actor I feel....he has certainly taken on a larger variety of roles.....and I don't think the Duke ever directed...

Comment

• bastardog
              Commando
              • Feb 2004

port #34
              Originally posted by bastardog

But COMPARING JUST THE WESTERNS......do you think that Wayne was better actor than Eastwood? or that the movies were better?
              So you wanted me to post the question again...?
              Bastardog

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

No I wanted you to read the statement I made in post #31...it is the answer to the question...before you even asked the question....

Comment

• bastardog
                  Commando
                  • Feb 2004

Sorry, I was angry again

Anyway since all this posts about John Wayne, I'm more aware to the Western channel movies looking for Wayne movies
                  Bastardog

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                    You lucky bastard....

One of his co-stars used to own a fairly large ranch about 60 miles north of Wichita. Dammit I cannot remember his name right offhand, but he was in many westerns and many movies with John Wayne.

A friend of mine met John once, as John used to occasionally fly out to Kansas to stay at the ranch for a week or two at a time just to hang out and get away from it all....I forget the details.

How cool it would be to meet such a legendary actor!

I found this thread again by accident...and to answer my own question (I musta had amnesia that day) Ben Johnson was the actor who owned some land north of Wichita, KS where the Duke used to hang out sometimes to get away from it all...

Also this thread is worthy of bumpage just on general principle...

Comment

Working...