X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

Irwin's Dad Says He Lost His "Best Mate"
    Posted Sep 6th 2006 8:06AM by TMZ Staff

The fond remembrances of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin continued to flow in after his tragic accidental death over the weekend, but perhaps the most touching of all came today from his father, Bob, in Queensland. "Steve and I weren't like father and son, we never were," said Bob Irwin, outside Australia Zoo, the animal park that Steve made famous and that Bob had owned himself and handed over to his son. "We were good mates. I'll remember Steve as my best mate ever."

Bob Irwin also said that Australian authorities have offered to give his son a state funeral but that his family was unlikely to accept. "The state funeral would be refused ... because he's an ordinary guy, he's just an ordinary bloke." Prime Minister John Howard interrupted Parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute to Irwin.

Wearing a khaki shirt and shorts in the same way that Steve did, Bob Irwin also told reporters that he and his son were natural risk-takers. "Both of us over the years have had some very close shaves. We made jokes of it. That's not to say that we were careless but we treated it like it was just part of the job."

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Stingrays are very non agressive. Stupidity killed him because he swam too close and the ray defended itself.

Steve Irwin was a showman taking stupid risks for attention. A glorified crockodile wrestler. Something was going to get him sooner or later.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

Shit happens....people don't usually "plan" on getting into an accident...

"Rather one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb..."

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I feel sorry for his family and turning down the big funeral shows what class his dad has. He was a well liked entertainer but he had a screw loose. Probably no worse than other entertainers.

The beef I had with Steve Irwin was taking his newborn child into the crockodile pit to get attention. That's crap. I fly fully aerobatic airplanes for a hobby but I never push the envelope if I'm in a plane with passengers in it and I don't fly crazy in populated areas. If I crash a plane because it got away from me, I kill myself only.

I appreciate risk taking but endangering others is no cool. Irwin seemed too nutty to buy any credability with me.

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            I feel sorry for his family and turning down the big funeral shows what class his dad has. He was a well liked entertainer but he had a screw loose. Probably no worse than other entertainers.

The beef I had with Steve Irwin was taking his newborn child into the crockodile pit to get attention. That's crap. I fly fully aerobatic airplanes for a hobby but I never push the envelope if I'm in a plane with passengers in it and I don't fly crazy in populated areas. If I crash a plane because it got away from me, I kill myself only.

I appreciate risk taking but endangering others is no cool. Irwin seemed too nutty to buy any credability with me.
            So the fact that Steve was raised this way, and loved his family
            even more than his beloved crocs, escapes you.

Steve was introduced to Crocodiles by his father (Bob)
            the same way he introduced his own children to them. (Bindi and Bob)
            It was the way of their family, passing it on down through the
            generations. Steve also bought up his daughter and she
            is now well learned about these creatures. In fact Im hoping
            this big part of Steve (Bindi) continues his dream.

Are you one of these braindead media devotees
            who tried to compare that incident to Michael Jackson ?
            What did MJ do with his millions ??? Build a molestation
            kiddies palace and buy the Beatles catalog to ensure
            he would never be without his molestation castle..

I saw an interview tonight with the dudes that looked after
            Steve Irwin Inc.. (The financial people)
            Did you know that his dream was to keep earning
            money so he could buy back as much land as
            possible to allow animals to keep their homes ?
            He was buying up tracks of land in shitholes where
            they were basically bulldozing the places. (Not
            what you would call prime investment.)
            He had a dream, save as much land as he could,
            in turn he would save the animals homes.

That stirs passion in my heart..

Yet he never mentioned this once in public.
            Its all coming out now after his death...

Can one man change the world ? Yes..
            Throughout history there have been
            special people like this.

Now in these modern times,
            we are all realizing that Steve
            was one of these men.

Dont know what ya got until its gone...
            Let the children tell you ...

Look to the sky and be thankful that you shared
            the same time on earth as a genuine hero.

On a daily basis Im feeling less of a human being
            for knowing this dude's dream, and how he had
            it happening. (and how it was cut in its tracks)

As for your stringray comment, I must be the biggest
            media attention whore in history, as Ive swum over
            the same Rays in 3 feet of water...

As I posted previously, you would have every right
            to think that way if he got killed by a crocodile, snake,
            shark etc.. But he didnt, so shut the fuck up.

Or humble me. What have you done for our world ?

What we are learning now is extremely humbling.
            Im a total piece of shit human compared to this guy.

What would you do with millions of dollars Nitro ??
            Buy land for animals ?

Thankgod Steve was never ever stopped by
            misinformed ignorance. But dont let it stop
            you, Nitro.
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• thome
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Mar 2005

Excellent Statement.

I grew up in the creeks and fields around where i lived.

I followed the creek to school every morning and home in the
              afternoon.

I usually checked in after school, but didn't need to till dinner,
              then out the door till dark.

I grew up somewhat like Steve-o not in Croc country but danger was similar.

When i was at home the TV was on PBS picking up any and all Nature shows. I could call out 95% of all species shown faster than Marlin Perkins.

So .If you have a somewhat adventurous upbringing and similar
              Interests of discovery and chance.When one of the -Pro's- at it
              Bites the Big Last Bit..

You feel it as a kindred spirit a Mate a Bro a Bud .and it doesn't strike well inside.

I've been all around the Net Global positioning Satt to see, Brisbane,
              Beerwah,Batt Reef ,Port Douglas, everywhere trying to understand
              a guy who busted his ass from school age to become a world traveler,
              i would say a good guy and worth 500 million within the next ten years.
              Father of two and the ,Bam! No More, Just work, no real time to enjoy
              and survey all he built..

A good legacy for his kids..? and his family knows his vision and dreams and will carry on.
              So, he will always be helping and remembered .

Comment

• thome
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Mar 2005

Here is a self serving little strory

One Morning on the way to Elementary School ( i was 7 or 8 yrs old)
                I was -slide skateing- the 1/4 mile to school (like speed skateing)on
                my frozen leather soled shoes.
                The Ice started cracking in front of me and the crack progressed to a big circle around me ,i could usually beat it, but once i fell striaght
                thru the ice and was swept under and back the way i was headed.

I am completely under being swept downstream and freezing only
                thru luck and skill was i aware that if i held onto the bottom and
                crawled towards the shore would the ice become thinner and i could smash my skull up and break thru.

It worked and i went onto school stood in front of the teacher and principal in -concrete hard fozen clothes- and for the hundredth time
                swore up and down i hadn't been in the creek. I got the whip.

A difference between school now and then.whatever!

Nature Shows and familiarity with my surroundings enabled me to created and prosess what to do to survive.

Wild Boys are the best and i am proud to have been one and that ,-Steve-o- took this enjoyment of the world, to the masses.
                Book learning is excellent but as you see from my writeing abilities
                i didn't spend as much time in the classroom ,as i did staring out the window..lol

Steve-o-
                also showed the world that standing on your back porch with a pair
                of binocs is as much or more fun that standing in studio 54 watching
                -entertainment paris's- earths freek animals, monster show.

:eek:

Comment

• Douglas T.
                  Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I fly fully aerobatic airplanes for a hobby but I never push the envelope if I'm in a plane with passengers in it and I don't fly crazy in populated areas. If I crash a plane because it got away from me, I kill myself only.
                  That's AWESOME! I am slowly catching up with ya! I have six whole hours in! 494 more and I get my license!

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Fucking flying those pissy little under-maintained
                    prop planes is far more dangerouse than swimming
                    amongst stringrays..

Lets see, how many of these light planes crash each
                    and every day globally ??

How many people in written history have died from
                    a stingray ???

Nitro do you take passengers up with you ???
                    Well statistically you are a fucking prick and
                    are putting your passengers lives at risk...

Yet you want to shit on a good person who just got
                    killed tragically, because he wanted his son bought up
                    the way he was....
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Good Luck DT on those hours !!
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• bantonelli
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Nov 2004

I wholeheartedly agree with Panamark and Thome. I grew up watching Marlin Perkins and Bill Burrud as a kid and neither had the enthusiasm on their show to keep my attention regarding the animals.

Steve Irwin walks in as a ball of fire enthusiasm and gets our attention in a huge way! The way he presented and introduced nature to all (kids and adults) was simply a part of his soul...nothing fake.

I agree that Steve Irwin's passing is not a simple one to get over like an actor celebrity. The mere fact that he was purchasing land to save wildlife is incredible. Also, Steve said in an interview that the only animal he was frightened of was not a snake, croc or Kimodo Dragon....he said it was "MAN" and bullets. He is RIGHT!

Whether man kills each other or trying to poach wildlife. Steve will continue to be a blessing to this Earth and someday I'll get to the Australian Zoo to pay homage to this incredible hero from down under.
                        "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• Douglas T.
                          Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by Panamark
                          Fucking flying those pissy little under-maintained
                          prop planes is far more dangerouse than swimming
                          amongst stringrays..

Lets see, how many of these light planes crash each
                          and every day globally ??
                          Tell me about it! can I take a moment to tell you the story about the millionaire enviromentalist that burned up behind my studio one day?
                          His name was GEORGE BARLEY and I was the first one one the scene as the plane almost crashed on my roof!

RIP GEORGE! I wish I could have done something!

I picked this resteraunt out of a coupon book and get there and staart reaading the menu and learn the place is dedicated to GEORGE! Now I eat free here because they know me! I couldn't save GEORGE if I had on a firesuit!http://www.evergladesrestaurant.com/...dedication.htm

I had thought a Arron Rents truck had backed into the fence at first and we laffingly looked out the back doors! We are right by the airport so planes are always going over rather close. When I saw the flames I knew just what it was! I'll get to the rest of the story after work! Here's one of the first photos I took ... after seeing no way to save anyone I ran over and got my camera! I got about 35 pictures and all were subpoena'd by the courts and the firestation requested a set for their training as I was standing over their shoulders taking pictures, after they arrived 10 minutes later! Some of the pictures are taken before they arrived! Tell ya more about it later!

BLUE arrow is PILOTs arm I'll post the burnt up pilot and passanger pics after some contemplation. their respect I have to keep!
                          Last edited by Douglas T.; 09-07-2006, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Douglas T.
                            Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Well I guess I can be a little late back to work since I'm the boss!

The story goes and Nitro tell us your feelings on the wheels down part! Months later! I'm eating my lunch indoors for a change at Slotzki's however it was spelled they closed up now damnit! I over hear two people talking about a plane crash! welcome to my world of coincidences! so i have to ask which one they are discussing and ends up being the same one. I ask what became of the lawsuits and they said! One of the planes engines quit because it had a fuel line from a diferant kind of plane all together! They also said the plane crashed becasue the pilot put the wheels down and tried to land ... in the field by my studio. He said if the pilot had kept the wheels up he could have flown all the gas out and landed in a lake! The newspaper says "PILOT DEEMED HERO!" and mentions the weekday school and buildings he avoided however I guess he could be alive today if he didn't try to land so soon! Here he is all crispy! I figure I can post his picture since it was his fault! Does that seem fair? See him there at the base of the tree, he's bent backwards looking up the tree! All black with cracked skin! Rest in peace Pal! Thanks for missin' me and my neighbors!

Notice the telephone cable tangled in the props!

Last edited by Douglas T.; 09-07-2006, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Douglas T.
                              Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

I know I'm steering a bit away from Steve here other than the fact that an Enviromentalist was killed in this crash! this picture shows where the airplanes propellers choped the ground like a mighty sword! At this point the plane was going sideways and about to go TAIL FIRST betwen those two Maples there in the background! Two engines ... one on each wing ... both slamming into it's own maple tree!
                              Last edited by Douglas T.; 09-07-2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Holly hell! Don't say anything remotely negative about Jesus Christ Irwin! I think the media brainwashed ones are the people who claim to know everything about the guy and his family that never really knew the guy.

Sounds like he wasn't a greedy bastard but whether a person is a saint or not only the big guy upstairs knows. Maybe God took him quickly so he wouldn't have to live on this shithole planet we are ruining. Maybe he's in a big waterbed with 72 virgins surrounded by a wilderness full of crocks and snakes now.

Comment

Working...