Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cMb
    Head Fluffer
    • Feb 2007

The film kind of fell flat for me in the second half. The first hour was a great build-up, but then after Michael escapes, I didn't really care who lived or died. It started off as a twisted story, but then lost the 'story' part.

I can't really compare it to any of the others. It's far more brutal & graphic than any other in the series.

I haven't seen the original in probably about 2 or 3 years, but the 2 films seem to have little in common other than a few 'tip-of-the-cap' scenes.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cMb
      The film kind of fell flat for me in the second half. The first hour was a great build-up, but then after Michael escapes, I didn't really care who lived or died. It started off as a twisted story, but then lost the 'story' part.

I can't really compare it to any of the others. It's far more brutal & graphic than any other in the series.

I haven't seen the original in probably about 2 or 3 years, but the 2 films seem to have little in common other than a few 'tip-of-the-cap' scenes.
      Downside of the film is in spite of taking the first half of it to try and explain why and how Myers grew up to do what he did, it kinda fell short. It's like, okay, in this version Mike came from a white-trash, dysfunctional family and was picked on a lot as a kid, which led to him first killing animals and eventually people. That's pretty much the explanation. It also skipped over about a decade and half of his stay in Smith's Grove; how exactly did this movie's Myers grow up to have the physique of a professional wrestler after spending years in a cell making paper mache Halloween masks?

Also, how in this one does Myers even find out Laurie Strode is his sister?

The original theatrical release had Myers coming from what appeared to be a middle-class family, Strode was just a random victim (none of this sibling business was slipped in until Halloween 2 and the simulatneous reshoots for the first televised Halloween version) and there really wasn't anything by way of explanation as to why Myers did what he did. Much scarier, because it basically let the viewer fill in the backstory and motivations via imagination.

But after the abominations of Halloween 5 through Halloween Resurrection, the series turned out something decent with Zombie's Halloween (even if half of the kudos is only by comparison to the aforementioned sequel suckfests).
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• jharp84
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Terry
        [B]Saw it today as well.

Overall ranking of the series in terms of interest:
        1. Halloween (1978)/Halloween 2 - tie
        2. Halloween H20 (first 15 minutes and last 5 minutes only)
        3. Halloween (2007)
        4. Halloween 4 / Halloween 6 (Producer's Cut)
        5. Halloween 3
        6. Halloween 6 (Theatrical release)
        7. Halloween H20 (the rest of the movie)
        8. Halloween 5
        9. Halloween Resurrection

Have to disagree with ranking 1 and 2 as a tie? One was a CLASSIC ORIGINAL, with Scenes that scared even the "I can't be/don't get scared" crowd as I witnessed! Part two, to me, seemed like a quick "cash-in" based mostly on gore/death with the plot "sketched together" in rush mode to capitalize on sequels, etc.etc. at the time! However, thanks to all for the early reviews!!

Comment

• cMb
          Head Fluffer
          • Feb 2007

I have to agree with that ranking of Halloween 5 though... I watched that yesterday... No boobies, the kills are fair, but who is the fucking 'silver boots' guy? WTF? Michaels twin brother?? Looks more like Sebastian Bach!

As for H07, the most graphic & disturbing parts occur in the first 2/3rds of the flick. The last third just wasn't suspenseful enough to put the movie 'over the top'. I don't know if it was the soundtrack, the plot, the pacing... or what. Maybe it was the fact that I knew he was going to kill everybody until he got to Laurie. But then what? I still don't understand that part. Was it just 'Michaels coming home & wants to see his sister', but then she pisses him off instead? Umm....OK.

The first 70 minutes were so violent & gritty that a BANG ending was necessary & I just didn't feel it delivered. Fuck it, maybe I'm just getting old.

I watched the workprint floating around the net & it is pretty amazing to see all the changes that were made in the last couple of months before the premier of this movie. Not just little soundtrack changes, but entire segments of the movie are entirely different, including the last 15 or-so minutes. Neither ending was particularly good, but the theatrical one was better IMO.

Anyway, I'll watch the original at some point this week to see exactly what scenes Zombie lifted.
          Last edited by cMb; 09-04-2007, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• cMb
            Head Fluffer
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Terry

Also, how in this one does Myers even find out Laurie Strode is his sister?
            Danielle Harris screaming out Laurie's name as she's topless & bleeding is the best I can figure.

Comment

• tajmahal
              Head Fluffer
              • Mar 2007

Now I know where Michael Myers got the mask idea - from Kiss!! The King of the Night time World.

Comment

• jharp84
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by tajmahal
                Now I know where Michael Myers got the mask idea - from Kiss!! The King of the Night time World.
                Actually! It was a William Shatner mask!!

Comment

• jharp84
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2004

Sorry! Thought you meant the origin of the Myers mask!!

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Certainly had a big fucking opening...people were all over that shit.

Pretty well establishes Rob has arrived. House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects laid some good groundwork, but with the new Halloween's opening take, I imagine he'll be able to write some pretty big tickets in the future...
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Isaac R.
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                      Certainly had a big fucking opening...people were all over that shit.

Pretty well establishes Rob has arrived. House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects laid some good groundwork, but with the new Halloween's opening take, I imagine he'll be able to write some pretty big tickets in the future...
                      Yep.
                      I read something aboot a two picture deal with Dimension (I think) and the next movie won't be a Halloween sequel...might not even be horror:eek:

Comment

• Fairwrning
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

I thought it was an Ok remake..I did like the extended time spent on Myers as a kid but it took away from all any lengthy suspense at the later part of the movie..just about a 2 hr film as it is.
                        The original was better at scaring you..Zombie makes things happen a bit too quick in this one.
                        Somebody compared it to JAWS earlier because you are left wondering when the guy is gonna..OH SHIT ..HES IN THE CAR....
                        Not a bad movie but NOBODY will outdo the original .

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cMb
                          I have to agree with that ranking of Halloween 5 though... I watched that yesterday... No boobies, the kills are fair, but who is the fucking 'silver boots' guy? WTF? Michaels twin brother?? Looks more like Sebastian Bach!

As for H07, the most graphic & disturbing parts occur in the first 2/3rds of the flick. The last third just wasn't suspenseful enough to put the movie 'over the top'. I don't know if it was the soundtrack, the plot, the pacing... or what. Maybe it was the fact that I knew he was going to kill everybody until he got to Laurie. But then what? I still don't understand that part. Was it just 'Michaels coming home & wants to see his sister', but then she pisses him off instead? Umm....OK.

The first 70 minutes were so violent & gritty that a BANG ending was necessary & I just didn't feel it delivered. Fuck it, maybe I'm just getting old.

I watched the workprint floating around the net & it is pretty amazing to see all the changes that were made in the last couple of months before the premier of this movie. Not just little soundtrack changes, but entire segments of the movie are entirely different, including the last 15 or-so minutes. Neither ending was particularly good, but the theatrical one was better IMO.

Anyway, I'll watch the original at some point this week to see exactly what scenes Zombie lifted.

H20 I saw in the theater, and I remember the whole audience gasping at the beheading; nobody expected that.

At some point I'm gonna snag a copy of the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 - have seen the deleted footage here and there on the net, but when I saw THAT one in the theater, am not ashamed to admit I didn't have the slightest clue WHAT the fuck was supposed to be going on story-wise throughout the whole thing...then Paul Rudd beat up Myers with a lead pipe (even more cringeworthy than Busta Rhymes kung fu fighting in Resurrection), and 6 just kinda ended ubruptly...it was like "o-KAY??".
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jharp84
                            [B]
                            Originally posted by Terry
                            Saw it today as well.

Overall ranking of the series in terms of interest:
                            1. Halloween (1978)/Halloween 2 - tie
                            2. Halloween H20 (first 15 minutes and last 5 minutes only)
                            3. Halloween (2007)
                            4. Halloween 4 / Halloween 6 (Producer's Cut)
                            5. Halloween 3
                            6. Halloween 6 (Theatrical release)
                            7. Halloween H20 (the rest of the movie)
                            8. Halloween 5
                            9. Halloween Resurrection

Have to disagree with ranking 1 and 2 as a tie? One was a CLASSIC ORIGINAL, with Scenes that scared even the "I can't be/don't get scared" crowd as I witnessed! Part two, to me, seemed like a quick "cash-in" based mostly on gore/death with the plot "sketched together" in rush mode to capitalize on sequels, etc.etc. at the time! However, thanks to all for the early reviews!!
                            Have looked at 1 and 2 as pretty much one flick for awhile now (at some point am gonna make my own seamless copy of 1 and 2, probably using H1 Extended Widescreen Edition, H2 Theatrical Widescreen edition and editing in the H2 pan and scan scenes shot for tv in the appropriate places).

Sure, H2 lost some of the suspense in exchange for gore and showed Myers more than the first flick did, but it's the same as any other horror sequel; the element of the unknown is gone after the first movie is made. H2 is actually one of my favorite sequels of any genre. True cliffhanger opening.

Same goes for H4 and H5, which I tend to look at as one flick due to the fairly seamless transitions between the endings and openings, in how the flicks were tied together (although in both H1/H2 and H4/H5, the amount of gunshots at the end of H1 and H4 weren't consistent with the amount of shots at the beginning of H2 and H5.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Isaac R.
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Dec 2006

DVD quality rip of the "Workprint" recently leaked to the torrentz...quite an improvement over the theatrical version imho.
                              The escape sequence is totally different and a few of the kills are a little more mean spirited.
                              Endings way changed for the better to...

Password : rslinks.org
                              If you're intrested you better grab it asap...somebody's been nuking the links within days of them being posted.

Comment

Working...