X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

What is the best bargain you ever got?

Yesterday I stopped by this garage sale that had some nice end tables that I spotted while passing by. I got one of them and started looking around and spotted this tv they wanted a $1 for. They said it didn't work, then told me it would turn on and the sound worked perfect, but there was no picture. So, I figured what the hell, it's worth a dollar if it'll turn on. It's a 28 inch RCA tv, and it was made in 2002 so it's practically new. I dropped it off today at this guy's house that repairs tv's in his spare time, and he's going to charge $45-$50 to fix the problem, so I figure even with the repair cost I'm still getting a pretty good deal cause the tv was practically given away. Also, I spotted a 17 inch computer monitor that looks brand new, and they wanted $2 for it and let me have it for a $1, also. I plugged it up and it turns on, but I haven't hooked it up to see if it'll work yet. I figured, hell, it's worth buying for a dollar, the people said it works, so even if it doesn't work all I've lost is a dollar and I can chunk it in the landfill. That was the best garage sale yesterday I've been to in a long time.
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Discount sale at a clothing store. 8 cool looking shirts for the price of two.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

(Price of one shirt being 15$...)
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• diamondsgirl
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2004

I love vintage clothing and get great stuff by the pound rather than per item. Considering I have to get everything dry cleaned before I'll wear it...it ends up not being such a great bargain. But still cool and unusual stuff.
        “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Last_Child
          Commando
          • Oct 2004

That bargain oughta be Vinyl.

ALAE & the ALAE Single for 'round 70-100 NOK.

Cheap!
          "With a rate of fire of over 20 rounds per second, the IMI Micro Uzi is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, and 25.4 times more musical"

Worst of all... It's true..

Comment

• Little Texan
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: What is the best bargain you ever got?

Originally posted by Little Texan
            Yesterday I stopped by this garage sale that had some nice end tables that I spotted while passing by. I got one of them and started looking around and spotted this tv they wanted a $1 for. They said it didn't work, then told me it would turn on and the sound worked perfect, but there was no picture. So, I figured what the hell, it's worth a dollar if it'll turn on. It's a 28 inch RCA tv, and it was made in 2002 so it's practically new. I dropped it off today at this guy's house that repairs tv's in his spare time, and he's going to charge $45-$50 to fix the problem, so I figure even with the repair cost I'm still getting a pretty good deal cause the tv was practically given away. Also, I spotted a 17 inch computer monitor that looks brand new, and they wanted $2 for it and let me have it for a $1, also. I plugged it up and it turns on, but I haven't hooked it up to see if it'll work yet. I figured, hell, it's worth buying for a dollar, the people said it works, so even if it doesn't work all I've lost is a dollar and I can chunk it in the landfill. That was the best garage sale yesterday I've been to in a long time.
            Update: Got the tv fixed for $55, and it's got a very clear picture! Also, I hooked the monitor up and it works perfectly! It's even clearer than the monitor I'm using!

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
              Commando
              • Apr 2006

A few years back while on vacation in the Outer Banks, I was searching for tiki mugs to expand my collection. Sparkie and I decided to check out this thrift shop as I was having no luck. As soon as we walked in, she spied one lone mug. She asked me if I wanted it, but I wasn't too sure as it was kinda ugly. She said fuck it and got it anyway. Paid fifty cents for it. Two little quarters. Turns out, that ugly little mug is a Tiki Bob from the early fifties, the creme de la creme of tiki mugs. I've seen it on Ebay go for well over two hundred bucks, but I ain't selling mine. Needless to say, he's not so ugly anymore

[

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

I got a BJ for giving a girl a lift home once, so I'll go with that. Especially goes her house was on my regular route home anyway....
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• smaz
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2004

My Dads girlfriend bought a few music videos from a car boot sale once, then showed me & my ex what she'd bought and if I wanted any. She picked up the Van Hagar vid (whatever it's called, I forgot. Right here right now? no... ) and knowing I liked Van Halen (She's even seen my Got Roth? shirt! ) gave it to me. Not having a VHS player, I gave it to my ex to take home so we could watch it at hers. Not seen it since. Now that's a bargain.
                  Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by smaz
                    My Dads girlfriend bought a few music videos from a car boot sale once, then showed me & my ex what she'd bought and if I wanted any. She picked up the Van Hagar vid (whatever it's called, I forgot. Right here right now? no... ) and knowing I liked Van Halen (She's even seen my Got Roth? shirt! ) gave it to me. Not having a VHS player, I gave it to my ex to take home so we could watch it at hers. Not seen it since. Now that's a bargain.
                    LOL!!

Fantastic bargain!
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                      • Jan 2004

Anything received for free is the best bargain yet!

Other than that, I guess a 25 cent brand new cassette tape found in a budget bin that I enjoy.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

I bought a Star Trek comic book in 1967 for 12 cents.

Turned out it is Volume 1, #1, and is worth several hundred bucks these days.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                          • Jan 2004

But I presume you are going to treasure that than sell it.
                          Lucky duck.
                          sigpic

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

I'm stripping aluminum off a tent trailer I picked up cheap to make a toy-hauler (I got a great welder, Herrera's off Fern & Rosemead doing it) and take the stuff in for recycling and picked up a vintage PA horn, with a good driver, all original for $25 bucks or roughly $2 a pound.

I think I have a buyer for it at $400. My best score like that was for $5 I picked up a vintage Zildjian Istanbul 20" ride with a signature inside the bell that had been run over by the forklift truck. I got it home and hammered the bell with a sledge and the damn thing just went POP came out perfectly. I got over $1000 for it on Ebay about 5 years ago.

Another time at a yardsale for $7 I picked up an Optipot, it looks like a wah pedal but is actually just an optical photocell foot-operated controller for the Mutron BiPhase and sold it on Gbase for $175 plus shipping. At the same yardsale the remote footswitch enclosure was also there I paid $4.50 for it and sold it to Future Music in Hollywood for $35 cash plus a pair of nonworking pedals.. some Arion piece of crap.

I've had alot of exploits like that because I look for them.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Five minutes with Bob's sister for a chocolate/vanilla mixed cone.....

Comment

Working...