X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ashstralia
    where i come from, being called 'slick' is a great compliment.

in fact in some circles, it's one of my nicknames. now my cuntribution to the thread... don't fucking write yourselves off on those two wheeled widowmakers, as my bro barney nearly did (through no fault of his own)
    you be careful in your 4 wheeled widowmaker as well
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2007

Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Igosplut
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
        plugs on the right side of a shovel, have i seen that before?
        Dual plugging was very big with Shovelheads as they had such a huge piston dome, There was an un-quenched side of the piston. That bike is dual plugged, multi-spark (35 before, TDC, and 5 after) and single fire. Plus the coils are 120.000 volts. Wild stuff in the 90s. And those heads are billet aluminum from the Netherlands, hand machined with a handful made.
        Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• clarathecarrot
          Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by Igosplut
          Dual plugging was very big with Shovelheads as they had such a huge piston dome, There was an un-quenched side of the piston. That bike is dual plugged, multi-spark (35 before, TDC, and 5 after) and single fire. Plus the coils are 120.000 volts. Wild stuff in the 90s. And those heads are billet aluminum from the Netherlands, hand machined with a handful made.
          I think I got this right ...it is obvious that dual spark plugs is to create more burn of the fuel and O2 mixture that is simple math to anyone who has some knowlege of a combustion chamber.

It seems after doing some reading about "Quenching" that this is mainly because of a section of the cylynder head that isn't completely burning all of the mixture and it can create Hot Spots instead of a even heat of the cylnder chamber above the piston were the valves are.

It seem this dual spark method is also for the lower octane feuls that are still prevelant (especially the 1980's) to create more energy with less octane. Unleaded type of thing as opposed to leaded fuels.

It is interesting that one fires before TDC and the other after TDC .

That explainds the two large coils.
          2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
          clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2007

so the birds are flyin' home today, they ended up talkin' us in to ridin' with them sat. night to westworld. thirdeyeblind was the band lame show, but cruisin' home in a group of 7 scoots was alotta fun.

Comment

• Igosplut
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
              I think I got this right ...it is obvious that dual spark plugs is to create more burn of the fuel and O2 mixture that is simple math to anyone who has some knowlege of a combustion chamber.

It seems after doing some reading about "Quenching" that this is mainly because of a section of the cylynder head that isn't completely burning all of the mixture and it can create Hot Spots instead of a even heat of the cylnder chamber above the piston were the valves are.

It seem this dual spark method is also for the lower octane feuls that are still prevelant (especially the 1980's) to create more energy with less octane. Unleaded type of thing as opposed to leaded fuels.

It is interesting that one fires before TDC and the other after TDC .

That explainds the two large coils.
              No TWO sparks BEFORE TDC and one after (5 ATDC) . With stroker pistons (short/high pin) it straight'ens the piston out so the down stroke doesn't drag the piston skirt cocked down the bore. Short pistons don't last long as they are unstable in the bore.....
              Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                Full Member Status

• May 2010

Cool Igo,

I get it.. the short piston cap length and large bore size, tends to make it ride down the cylinder cockeyed..probably due to the gap and play that is needed for the rings and what they do to protect the cylinder sleeve.

The dual spark and dual possition of the spark plug and the before and after ignition, correct the play in the piston cap.

Perhaps, the motor is well designed for long slow puts, but not throwing the meat to it on a drag strip?

I guess you could install and longer sleeved piston and that head configuration may be benefitial on a drag strip due to it's dual spark combustion efficiency..?

No need to answer these statements of mine I am just wondering outloud...lol.

thanks.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

Cool Igo,

I get it.. the short piston cap length and large bore size, tends to make it ride down the cylinder cockeyed..probably due to the gap and play that is needed for the rings and what they do to protect the cylinder sleeve.

The dual spark and dual possition of the spark plug and the before and after ignition, correct the play in the piston cap.

Perhaps, the motor is well designed for long slow puts, but not throwing the meat to it on a drag strip?

I guess you could install and longer sleeved piston and that head configuration may be benefitial on a drag strip due to it's dual spark combustion efficiency..?

No need to answer these statements of mine I am just wondering outloud...lol.

thanks.
                  a longer skirt would probly have clearance issues at the crank. not code

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                    Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                    a longer skirt would probly have clearance issues at the crank. not code

I would just have to get the rod adjusted, to fit the skirt.

But, isn't that always the way it is ?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I would just have to get the rod adjusted, to fit the skirt.

But, isn't that always the way it is ?
                      This is word for word what they said last time I bought a kilt...

Comment

• Igosplut
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Tear down down down...

Wrong time of year for this shit..
                        Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2007

such a good lookin' pan. what is wrong?

Comment

• Igosplut
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Between shitty materials in the 50s, and age both heads developed cracks. Glassbeading over the years reduces thins castings (already casted thin) to limits that weaken them further. I found a set of virgin 57 heads in Austria of all places, and they're coming back from the machine shop in a few weeks. The old heads are fixable, so they're going down the road as these are two-year only and factory (FLH only) ported so they are extremely rare....

Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2007

kick ass well, except for havin' a scoot down for a bit

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                                Full Member Status

• May 2010

When I am, confused (wrong word..lol) more like unable to diagnose a problem with one of my bikes, I get so steamed. (breakdowns)

But, just working on one to improve it or pulling maintenance, I love that.

What I am leading onto here is what a pleasure it would be to wrench on that Pan Head, Igo.

I would go buy shiny new tools out of respect for the bike..lol.

* (the last kick start I had I sold back in 1982 I miss those days.)*

Comment

Working...