X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    The number 14 million was direct from WWII in HD in the episode where they discuss the liberation of the kamps.
    I'm not sure, but they might just mean those in captivity...

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

I SAID......that was how many the Germans murdered. NOT how many they killed in battle.

They were talking about the number of people killed in the koncentration kamps.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Sounds too high for just the camps.

Maybe that's how many they killed if you include Russian civilians.

Comment

• letsrock
          Veteran
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          The United States can't afford any more wars. We have to borrow money from China to keep the wars we have now going. Maybe the Chinese are using our own stupidity to wear us down and ruin us economically. Then they will demand repayment of their loans and that could start another war. It won't be terrorizing third world countries the next time. I think the powers that be got too confident on our weapons superiority possibly thinking we will just borrow their money and if they want it back well, we still have nuclear first strike capability. What worries me is where we are going once all this money printing and borrowing plays out and destroys itself.
          Let them demand repayment. We are Americans, when they call us out on it, we'll just say: "call back next week when i get paid"

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

It's hard to say. Remember the second largest grouping to be murdered in terms of numbers were Soviet POWs (at least 3.3 million)--who were essentially just penned into fields and allowed to die of starvation, disease, and exposure...

Comment

• standin
              Veteran
              • Apr 2009

That reminds me of a song...
              <object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BAqP35A9Oi8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0 xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BAqP35A9Oi8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0 xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>
              I really like Al Stewart's music... :heart:
              To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
              MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

Regardless of the actual number of people who died in WWII, it was too many.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

If one even suggests that Russian civilian deaths might have approached the numbers of Jews murdered in concentration camps, one sometimes runs the risk of all kinds of backlash...like, to even express the opinion that there were ethnic or religious groups besides the Jews who didn't exactly have a picnic during WWII, sometimes people will go fucking bananas.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                    Regardless of the actual number of people who died in WWII, it was too many.
                    Controversial stuff...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      If one even suggests that Russian civilian deaths might have approached the numbers of Jews murdered in concentration camps, one sometimes runs the risk of all kinds of backlash...like, to even express the opinion that there were ethnic or religious groups besides the Jews who didn't exactly have a picnic during WWII, sometimes people will go fucking bananas.
                      Without checking, I'm pretty sure than Soviet civilian deaths far exceeded the Jews in the camps. I'm also pretty sure the line is blurred here because many of the first Soviet citizens murdered were Jewish and more then six million Jews died in the Holocaust...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Remains of five Nazi soldiers killed on D-Day are discovered in France

By Peter Allen
                        Last updated at 3:41 PM on 20th May 2009

The ghostly remains of five Nazi soldiers gunned down by the British on D-Day have been uncovered in northern France.

Still surrounded by their World War II German helmets and ammunition clips, they were found almost exactly 65 years to the day since Allied forces stormed ashore on June 6th 1944.

Scraps of camouflage smocks and tunic buttons also adorn the mangled skeletons, which were all hastily placed face down in a shallow grave ten feet long and four feet wide.
                        The remains of five Nazi soldiers were discovered near Bavent, in northern France. The bodies were placed in a shallow grave

The remains of five Nazi soldiers were discovered in a shallow grave near Bavent, in northern France

All retained their ‘dog tags’ – small aluminum plates on a chain inscribed with name, rank and number – which would normally have been removed by their comrades and sent home to the Fatherland.

Rifles and machine guns were all taken, possibly by British parachutists who had lost their own weapons during the night-time landings before D-Day.

‘The bodies weren’t covered before being buried which was unusual,’ said local council director Jean Deloges.

‘The presence of identity tags also suggests that they were buried extremely quickly by English or Canadian parachtists who were operating in the sector. All the Germans were clearly killed in the early hours of June 6th 1944.’

Tunic buttons have revealed that one of the men was an officer, with artifacts also including gas mask bags, gold teeth, and even a Berlin-made fountain pen.

The grave was found on May 8th by an amateur historian investigating the battlefield around Bavent, seven miles north east of Caen.

The town is even closer to the fabled Pegasus Bridge, where the first troops to land on D-Day were from D-Company, 2nd Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, in a 6th Airborne Division glider.

Their commander, Major John Howard, led his men against an onslaught of enemy fire, including an attack by the 21st Panzer Division.

It will now be up to archeologists to establish whether the newly discovered Germans died fighting airborne soldiers, or in a combined air and sea bombardment.

Commandos of the 1st Special Service Brigade, led by Lord Lovat, eventually arrived in Bavent after landing on Gold Beach.

In Bavent the Commandos experienced World War One-style trench warfare, with the Germans well dug into their positions.

Today a green tent covered the burial site, with a permanent guard watching over it.

An exhumation will soon take place, with the soldiers likely to be buried in the German military cemetery at La Cambe , near Bayeux. Efforts will also be made to trace any surviving family.

American President Barack Obama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy will be among those commemorating D-Day in Normandy next month.

DailyMail

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm confused.

Speilberg taught me that it was only Americans that took the beaches on D-Day...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Well, someone had to take care of our light work.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I'm confused.

Speilberg taught me that it was only Americans that took the beaches on D-Day...
                              That's because Tom Hanks doesn't have a British accent and probably couldn't load an Enfield stripper clip properly.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'm confused.

More seriously, to be fair though, he missed a lot in that film in the Normandy landing part--basically making it seem as if a Ranger captain was responsible for the breakthrough of the German defenses when the US and Royal navies had a lot to do with it. Three destroyers came in close and nearly risked running aground to pepper the German forts and trenches with 5-inch gunfire. There was also no one singular breakthrough. It was a number of guys, sometimes privates taking charge, that broke through the seawall in horrible terrain where basically they were fucked...

I find Band of Brothers to be a much better view of the War, and even though it was about an American airborne regiment, they took pains to show the British during the "Market Garden" sequences, and even a scene Free French executing German soldiers...

Comment

Working...