X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
    Jay gave up the Tonight Show years ago. He knew he was leaving in 2009. Everyone expected him to leave in 2009. Why he got this abortion of a show at 10 pm I'll never know. Well, it didn't work out so Jay should just walk away. The only skit I liked from him anyways was "Headlines". And Letterman does that bit better anyways.

As for Conan. I never really liked him much. But I didn't hate him. After this debacle, I find myself squarely in his corner.
    The way I understand it, NBC was afraid of losing both Conan and Leno to FOX or ABC. The Tonight Show job was given (as you said) to O'Brien years ago to prevent this, yet NBC was apparently far too shortsighted to realize that Leno could do the exact same thing. So this weird compromise of a 10PM show was dreamed up. For one thing, it is much cheaper to produce as opposed to a scripted series, which must be filmed on location over several days with a large staff of actors and film crews. By filling the slot with a variety show, the network saved a boatload of cash.

What they didn't count on was the fact that nobody would watch the damned thing, which pissed off affiliates that needed the 10PM hour to lead into their local newscasts, which make money through advertising rates. If no one is watching the newscast, these rates drop and the affiliate loses money. When several affiliates told NBC they'd be pre-empting Leno with their own shows, NBC caved in for fear of all of it's affiliates doing the same thing. Gigantic sums of money would be lost in the event this happened, so NBC bit the bullet.

To make matters worse, O'Brien has been hinting that he might just quit before NBC can get Leno squared away after the Winter Olympics (yet another thing NBC is expected to take a bath on). This will be interesting to watch, particularly how NBC squirms out of what has obviously become a very uncomfortable position.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Word is that Conan will do his last show next Friday, January 22nd.

Very sad and very sudden.

Jay Leno and the NBC brass really look like FUCKTARDS on this one.
      Originally posted by perilouspete
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• thome
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Mar 2005

I heard that Conan thru breach of contract will be blackballed non-compete or whatever it is for 4 years the time remaining on his contract and due to this breach by the contract holders he will also recieve 80 million dollars over that 4 years...?

Lets see.... not my fault and I get 80 million to retire ,,,hmmm......

Not to bad of a deal if you ask me.

Comment

• JJ Hobson
          Full On Cocktard
          • Jan 2010

Can Anyone Say "Intellectual Property Rights"? ...

Fox would be a good fit for Conan. Why it would take "months" I have no clue. ...
          Remember way, way back to when Letternman left NBC? ... Due to NBC claiming intellectual property rights, Letterman had to change everything--the name of his show, the name of characters ("Larry Bud Melman" ring a bell?--LOL!), and had to completely revamp his show skits, etc., etc. ...

Conan will now--in all likelihood--have to do the same thing when he finally makes the switch to a new network ...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Conan getting $30 M's?

Report: NBC to pay Conan $30 million
            Jan. 15, 2010, 7:27 PM EST

Deal brokered by Universal CEO Ron Meyer after all-night negotiations

By Sharon Waxman
            TheWrap.com

NBC has its way out of the Conan Crisis.

The network has agreed to pay O'Brien $30 million to vacate the 11:35 p.m. "Tonight Show," individuals involved in the negotiations have told TheWrap.

The deal, which still has to be formally signed, could be announced as early as Friday.

Individuals in O'Brien's camp declined to comment.

NBCU President and CEO Jeff Zucker, NBCU Television Entertainment Chairman Jeff Gaspin and Co-Chairman NBC Entertainment and NBC Television Studio Marc Graboff were involved in the final all-night negotiations. The deal was brokered by Universal COO Ron Meyer, who was brought in on Tuesday, after talks had reached an impasse.

Also: NBC Exec Slams Conan As 'Chicken-Hearted, Gutless'

Key terms to the agreement were worked out between Meyer and Rick Rosen, Conan's agent at WME.

The deal came following a battle between the two camps over whether O'Brien's contract specifically guaranteed that "The Tonight Show" must air at 11:35 p.m.

^^Conan takes shots at NBC, Leno
            View more MSN videosGo to TODAY

As TheWrap previously reported, Team Conan was insisting that NBC has breached O'Brien's contract because, it argued, the deal had a timeslot guarantee.

NBC's response: No, there is no such guarantee of a specific timeslot for "Tonight." So as long as we keep something called "The Tonight Show" on the air, there is no breach.

If NBC had been in breach, it would have owed Conan around $40 million (and as much as $50 million, according to some reports, as a penalty.

People close to NBC insisted the network would not yield on this point-- it wouldn't admit it had breached O'Brien's deal.

One solution that had been on the table Friday, according to TheWrap's Josef Adalian: Agreeing to disagree over the timeslot issue and instead settling on a pay or play fee.

Under this proposal, the sooner O'Brien starts a new gig -- if he starts one -- the less money it would have to pay. So if Conan managed to land a new job at Fox within a year, the Peacock might shell out less than the full $30 million.

It's unlear if that's how the two sides settled out.

As TheWrap first reported, NBC had also been looking to enforce some sort of non-compete period in which Conan couldn't work for anyone else, period. The parties had been looking at a time as early as September or as late as next January for O'Brien to be free.

With talks entering the final stages, positioning over what led to this crisis started heating up.

Team NBC started the assault by putting sports czar Dick Ebersol on the phone with the New York Times, who tore into O'Brien in a Friday interview. Then, Conan's camp made it clear Friday that it was "absolutely untrue" that O'Brien's deal didn't have timeslot protection.

NBC responded by questioning the abilities of O'Brien's legal teams in the same sort of language Ebersol had used to slam O'Brien's hosting skills.

"All the chatter is just his reps covering up for their massive f--- up," an NBC insider said. "Leno had timeslot protection in his deal, Letterman has it in his. But Team Coco never negotiated for it."

O'Brien's lawyer, Leigh Brecheen at Bloom Hergott, could be quite embarrassed if it turns out there was no timeslot guarantee.

But O'Brien's camp believes NBC was just trying to change the subject from its own massive mishandling of the late-night mess.

In any case, that's now all for historians to figure out.

Report: NBC to pay Conan $30 million - MSN TV News

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Jay retired from the Tonight Show. He should have walked away with dignity and on top. Why he agreed to do the 10 pm show I couldn't understand. Since it didn't work out, he should have then retired again. In NO WAY should he take the 11:35 slot back, or the name "Tonight Show". I hope this haunts him and his ratings tank. And when he finally does retire for good, I hope he leaves as a wash-up.

Fuck you Jay!
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Little Texan
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Conan used to be pretty funny at times when he had the Late Night show, but he has sucked ass as the Tonight Show host...he hasn't been a bit funny, and he would've been better off leaving the lame and unfunny Andy Richter out of the show. I figured Conan would have been better than he's been, but his stint on the Tonight Show has been a huge disappointment, to say the least. I'm probably the only one here that likes Leno, and I don't get all the Leno hate in this thread. None of the other late night hosts are a bit funny, IMO. I tried watching Letterman for about a week after Conan's show turned out to be a dud, and he just isn't funny at all, and to me, never has been. Jimmy Fallon sucks ass, Craig Ferguson is lame (what's up with the stupid puppets?), and Jimmy Kimmel isn't a bit funny, either...he wasn't funny on The Man Show...I don't get the appeal. Leno is the only one out of them all that is even remotely funny. The only thing I haven't liked about his show is that it is in a Primetime slot when there are better shows on to watch at that time. Just my two pennies on the subject.

Comment

• High Life Man
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2004

Heard Stern and Letterman will be Conan's guests this week. Should be interesting.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Jay retired from the Tonight Show. He should have walked away with dignity and on top. Why he agreed to do the 10 pm show I couldn't understand. Since it didn't work out, he should have then retired again. In NO WAY should he take the 11:35 slot back, or the name "Tonight Show". I hope this haunts him and his ratings tank. And when he finally does retire for good, I hope he leaves as a wash-up.

Fuck you Jay!
                    The "Tonight Show" name and what it once meant evaporated a long time ago..maybe as far back as Carson's retirement, although possibly even a year earlier than that (Arsenio was beating Carson in the youth demos).

The Tonight Show now is just one among the pack.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
                      Conan used to be pretty funny .
                      Never was.....

But Leno was no better.....

Letterman is watchable still, and Ferguson is a riot.

But as far as the Tonight Show Brand?

The Peacock should retire it along with SNL.

Fukk, give thome the 11:30 slot for that matter...
                      Originally posted by Kristy
                      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                      Originally posted by cadaverdog
                      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                        The "Tonight Show" name and what it once meant evaporated a long time ago..maybe as far back as Carson's retirement, although possibly even a year earlier than that (Arsenio was beating Carson in the youth demos).

The Tonight Show now is just one among the pack.
                        Maybe it's time to bring Arsenio back?

It's not like he's really done anything since then.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by High Life Man
                          Heard Stern and Letterman will be Conan's guests this week. Should be interesting.
                          the NBC site shows "TBA" for Conan's guests Wed-Fri. wonder if NBC would just pull him off early if his jokes turn more vicious, or maybe they addressed that in the contract release. Letterman's not in re-runs this week, but he tapes two shows one day so maybe Friday he'd be on Conan.

the general consensus on Stern Fan Network is that Stern won't bother flying out to LA. i hadn't heard the Letterman thing yet.

Originally posted by FORD
                          Maybe it's time to bring Arsenio back?

It's not like he's really done anything since then.
                          i think Arsenio was doing on-location bits for Jay's Tonight Show.
                          Last edited by twonabomber; 01-17-2010, 08:52 PM.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Anyone, kidding or not, who advocates for the return of Arsenio Hall to network or cable television, will be brought to the town center, and flogged.

fuckheads
                            Originally posted by Kristy
                            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                            Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Unchainme
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2005

Fallon is auctually not so much bad..as he's moreso in the wrong element as having a late night talk show.

I caught a bit of his show and he had a GREAT impersenation of Neil Young, so much so that I thought I had accidently switched to VH1 classic and they were showing an old video of him.

YouTube - Pants on the Ground Jimmy Fallon

He's better at doing impersenations, not at reading monologues, though to give him a bit more leanecy, Conan was terrible the first couple of years he was on, but he ended up becoming really good after he was given more time.

I am bummed that Conan is getting cancelled though, he got screwed hard.
                              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                                Fallon is auctually not so much bad..as he's moreso in the wrong element as having a late night talk show.

I caught a bit of his show and he had a GREAT impersenation of Neil Young, ....
                                No, he's bad. And Fallon wasnt really that great at impersonations either....

Comment

Working...