Apartment living, loud neighbors (Advice needed)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Sounds like you have some assholes in your midst Doc.

All the talk of fighting fire with fire from other posters is all well and good, but I guarantee you that a stiff letter from a soliciter and/or the landlord will be the most effective measure - college students generally have zero money, so any fear of homelessness and legal expenses will probably do the trick.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Igosplut
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Shoes, Sensible
      I"m so sorry your friend has intestinal issues and is stuck in the bathroom. Maybe if you gave him some immodium? Poor guy.
      Silly girl..

He got 55 years, I BET he wishes he was stuck in a bathroom....
      Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Anonymous
        Banned
        • May 2004

Originally posted by binnie
        Sounds like you have some assholes in your midst Doc.

All the talk of fighting fire with fire from other posters is all well and good, but I guarantee you that a stiff letter from a soliciter and/or the landlord will be the most effective measure - college students generally have zero money, so any fear of homelessness and legal expenses will probably do the trick.
        And to make that letter extra stiff, be sure to write it in cardboard.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
          Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Igosplut
          Silly girl..

He got 55 years, I BET he wishes he was stuck in a bathroom....
          That's a LOT of diarrhea!

Oh dear.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

In my neighborhood, there's a house across the street that was apparently taken over by a national reality company and was rented to college students--and not just any college students--but super special community college students that drove really nice cars even though they were going to a local community college on the road to nowhere. In any case, I have no idea how many actual tenets there were. But they had huge parties every weekend night with cars going down the suburban block, and no mom and dad to break things up.

Their music didn't really bother me and I didn't notice much as far as empties and loud rap shit. But the crime rate in the cul-de-sac fucking SOARED!! My car (which I previously often left unlocked since it was worth nothing and had the stock OEM stereo system LOL) was gone through; and anyone silly enough to leave their GPS or iPod in their cars had the windows popped and everything of value looted. Mind you, this was suburbia you could once leave the doors unlocked and your car open with a neon sign on saying "rob me."

Anyhoo, my understanding is that several neighbors made it a local issue, and began religiously calling the cops and complaining at town meetings. Eventually, the kids were forced to stop having parties and couldn't even have guests over. They apparently trashed the place and the reality company had a hard time selling the otherwise nice house in this market. After like a year, the house has been sold as of last December and is undergoing extensive renovation.

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

I suspect I have a similar issue here -- these kids most likely go to SMU and are having their tuitions and their rent here paid by mommy and daddy.

I walked by their apartment today and their windows were opened. Looked inside to see an alcohol collection that would put some bars to shame. An entire wall lined with shelves filled with bottles of hard liquor.
              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                In my neighborhood, there's a house across the street that was apparently taken over by a national reality company and was rented to college students--and not just any college students--but super special community college students that drove really nice cars even though they were going to a local community college on the road to nowhere. In any case, I have no idea how many actual tenets there were. But they had huge parties every weekend night with cars going down the suburban block, and no mom and dad to break things up.

Their music didn't really bother me and I didn't notice much as far as empties and loud rap shit. But the crime rate in the cul-de-sac fucking SOARED!! My car (which I previously often left unlocked since it was worth nothing and had the stock OEM stereo system LOL) was gone through; and anyone silly enough to leave their GPS or iPod in their cars had the windows popped and everything of value looted. Mind you, this was suburbia you could once leave the doors unlocked and your car open with a neon sign on saying "rob me."

Anyhoo, my understanding is that several neighbors made it a local issue, and began religiously calling the cops and complaining at town meetings. Eventually, the kids were forced to stop having parties and couldn't even have guests over. They apparently trashed the place and the reality company had a hard time selling the otherwise nice house in this market. After like a year, the house has been sold as of last December and is undergoing extensive renovation.
                Where did these scholars attend school? E.C.C.?

You have to be living someplace else now, I cannot see the Eden PD taking care of this. Or the town board.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

To the one that suggested a guitar amp -- I do have a half-stack and I have thought about using it. I had a similar problem with a guy in college playing rap music at 4 am. The RA wouldn't do shit about it, either. One day before I went to class from 9 am - 11:45 am (and then lunch) I turned on my guitar/amp, turned that shit and set it against his wall, cranked it up and let the guitar feedback and then left it.

When I got back he and the RA were outside pounding on my door. We had a small chat between the three of us and that was never a problem again.

Thought about doing that here but there'd be a lot of collateral impact, and I'm not looking to compete for the biggest douchebag award with the rest of my neighbors.
                  I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

I had only two instances of neighbors being loud. Both at the same address.

I lived in a duplex in the early 80s. My best friend (after 31 years STILL my best friend) lived on one side, I lived on the other.

1. At some point, some gypsies moved into a house across the street. Every Sunday without fail at about 10 AM, they would crank the stereo and play this goddam soundtrack album from the movie "Where The Boys Are" (1960). After about 2 months of it I could not stand it anymore. One Sunday, it began as usual. I had been up until 6 in the morning driving a taxicab, and was awakened by the sound of that fucking music coming from across the street. At the time, I had a Marshall JCM800 2 X 12 50-watt combo amp. I hauled it out onto the porch and faced it squarely towards the house across the street. I plugged a shit cassette player into the hi-input, put in a tape of Judas Priest's "British Steel" (made sure it was set to the song "Rapid Fire), and turned every fucking knob up to 11.

I Pushed Play.

"POUNDING THE WORLD...LIKE A BATTERING RAM!....."

After the song was over, I noticed the fucking music from across the street had stopped.

They never played it again for the remaining time they lived in that house (that I could hear anyway).

2. My best friend was allowing a friend of his named Carl to stay with him for a week or so until he found a job/place to stay.
                    Here is a pic of that very duplex (thanks to Google Maps). I lived on the left, my friend lived on the right:

So my Dad had given me a Fisher stereo power amp that was no longer working. I sold it to Carl staying with my friend for like 20 bucks or so. He knew someone at an electronics shop who fixed it for free. I should not have sold it to him.

That year in 1986, Motorhead released Orgasmotron. Carl (with the now functional power amp) bought it. That night, he was drunk, and blasting it out. I had pulled a 2-day shift in my taxi, and was trying to crash, but could not.

I went next door.
                    BAMBAMBAM!
                    Door opens.

"Dude, please turn it down, I'm trying to sleep!"

"Ok"

2 Minutes later it is back to full volume.

BAMBAMBAM!

"TURN IT DOWN! I AM TRYING TO SLEEP!"

"Ok".

5 minutes later it starts again. Believe me, I love Motorhead, and love that album, but godammit! NOT WHEN I WANT TO SLEEP!

This time I banged on the wall separating our apartments.

BAMBAMBAM!!!

Carl walks out the front door, over to my front door and knocks on the door. I open it and scream at him:

"MOTHERFUCKER TURN THAT SHIT DOWN OR I AM CALLING THE POLICE!"

He then tried to throw a punch at me. I intercepted it and got behind him with my arm wrapped around his throat in a headlock. My back was to the street. You can see the front wall of the porch is made out of concrete blocks. The top of the wall is about 2 feet above the level of the floor. So I dragged him backwards until I felt the wall against the back of my knees, and with my arm still around his throat, I purposely fell backwards.

Flipped him over my head. I flipped over 180 degrees, and landed on my knees, he was laying in the middle of the yard flat on his back, kind of dazed, wondering what the hell happened. So I jumped onto his chest with my fist raised and screamed at him:

"GODDAM YOU IF YOU DO NOT TURN THAT SHIT DOWN I AM GOING TO BEAT THE FUCKING SHIT OUT OF YOUR FACE!"

He promised he would not play it anymore.

He didn't.

The next day he apologized.

Christ!

Never have had any situations like that again. My best friend said the guy was drunk and would turn the stereo up even though my friend knew it was only asking for trouble (me).

These days, I can only see one neighbor, and his house is 1,000 feet away. Not only that, my house is so soundproofed, I can turn the stereo up loud enough to have shit in my living room vibrating off the shelves, but if I go outside, you can hardly hear it standing 100 feet away.

I have never lived in an apartment complex. Would not want to. All it takes is one fucking idiot falling asleep with a cigarette burning, and all MY shit goes up in flames! Not to mention stuff like the good Dr. Love is having to deal with.
                    Last edited by Hardrock69; 03-29-2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
                      Homeless bums shitting on the lawn usually do.....
                      You're very mean. Stop doing that. I have feelings.

j/k.. fukkov!

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                        Anyone have advice that doesn't involve vandalism or an ass-whooping?
                        PLEXI or JCM Justice !!!!
                        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                          Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

I want Hardrock to soundproof my next house. All I have to mute are barking dogs.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

LMAO!

Ooo baby! And you will pay me how?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Shoes, Sensible
                              Where did these scholars attend school? E.C.C.?

You have to be living someplace else now, I cannot see the Eden PD taking care of this. Or the town board.
                              Yes, it was that fine institution whose sports teams can't play in certain zones because the school is little more than an excuse for political hackery, and yes, I fled that cow patch years ago...

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                                Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                                LMAO!

Ooo baby! And you will pay me how?
                                Well I have quite seriously been considering barter, if you know what I mean, but my self image is such these days that I'd seriously check out the realities of this situation before you sign on.

On top of this, I don't have a house.

Oh dear.

Comment

Working...