Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

I used to see him play corporate heavies in TV crime dramas back in the late 60s/early 70s.

This is fucked up. The Police Squad stuff had me laughing on the floor until my sides hurt.

Funny how Airplane! really sort of re-invented him as a comedic actor. He deserved all the success he had.

Goddamit. This fucking sucks!

REST IN PIECE LESLIE. WE WILL MISS YOU MORE THAN YOU WILL KNOW.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

HA! The board is lying to me now. I CAUGHT IT IN THE ACT!

Note the post above.

Now, check out this screen cap of what appeared in my browser right after I posted:

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

R.I.P. Mr. Drebin...
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

I wish I could find a clip of Nielsen appearing on SNL. He did a "commercial" for a company that created a series of products including Bung King Hemorrhoid Creme ("The only suppository with my face on the box!") and Dripmaster adult diapers ("That's why I wear Dripmaster, the undergarment from Geritech that takes the worry out of walking around. In fact, I'm relieving myself right now!").

And when he showed up on Letterman (while Dave was still at NBC) with a farting device which he used with his typical deadpan, straight face, it was comedy genius.

RIP.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Mar 2009

UGH!!!!!!!!! The many hours I laughed at this guy! From Airplane to Naked Gun....RIP Leslie Nielsen...you will be missed

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Airplane was twice as funny as any of the Naked Gun movies, by the way.....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qo7qoonzTCE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qo7qoonzTCE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  Airplane was twice as funny as any of the Naked Gun movies, by the way...
                  Yep. The original Police Squad (In Color!) show was just as good as Airplane!, but failed on tv because you had to pay attention to it or you'd miss something going on in the background. ABC only ran something like 3-4 episodes and canceled it, which sucked because before anyone could spread the word, it was gone.

Last edited by chefcraig; 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah I liked Police Squad best. I thought the comedy was better suited to the short format rather than the full length movies.

They only made a season of 6 which is common in the UK but unusual in the US.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It is always funny when you see some of his pre Airplane work.

I was watching TV one night and came across a film called 'Incident in San Francisco' from the early 70s where he plays a character identical to Frank Drebin except it's not meant to be a comedy. I never realised for about 20 minutes.

He was also in a couple of episodes of Columbo.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Airplane was twice as funny as any of the Naked Gun movies, by the way.....
                          I guess at 84 he had a decent innings.

Then you realise he was younger than Va when Airplane came out.

I hope that's set you up on a nice positive note for the week...

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

One of the greats no doubt... I actually saw him about a year ago at a steakhouse in downtown Lauderdale..
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              I guess at 84 he had a decent innings.

Then you realise he was younger than Va when Airplane came out.

I hope that's set you up on a nice positive note for the week...
                              Says the person who doesn't show his age....
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

Says the person who doesn't show his age....
                                Sesh just turned 21...
                                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

Working...