X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

The Hobbit Movie News

Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen confirmed for The Hobbit: Who's next?

Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen confirmed for The Hobbit: Who's next?

The casting news keeps coming for The Hobbit! Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen have officially signed on to reprise the roles of Gollum and Gandalf—and even more familiar faces may be returning as well.

According to Deadline, a deal has been closed for Serkis to once again don the motion-capture suit and perform the role of Gollum for director Peter Jackson's two-part adaptation of The Hobbit. Serkis' portrayal of the doomed creature in The Lord of the Rings was a breakthrough both for him and for the art of motion capture, bringing Gollum to life almost entirely through CG.

Meanwhile, EW.com has confirmed that Ian McKellen has also officially signed his contract to portray Gandalf the Grey, one of the few characters who plays a major role in both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

The news comes on the heels of last week's spectacular revelation that Elijah Wood was also coming back as Frodo Baggins for scenes that will frame the story and provide a link to the earlier Rings movies.

But more names from the Lord of the Rings trilogy may be returning as well. Deadline says that Christopher Lee is in talks to reprise the role of the wizard Saruman, and that Ian Holm may cameo as the older version of Bilbo Baggins, which he played in the Rings movies (the younger Bilbo will be played by Martin Freeman in The Hobbit). Both Cate Blanchett's Galadriel and Hugo Weaving's Elrond are expected to show up in the films as well, and Orlando Bloom as Legolas may also make an appearance.

As noted before, Jackson and his co-writers (Fran Walsh, Phillippa Boyens and one-time director Guillermo del Toro) may have stretched their adaptation of The Hobbit to fit some of these characters into that novel's storyline. But we would be lying if we didn't admit that the thought of seeing these actors playing their beloved roles again almost overrides any concerns about liberties taken with the text.

Will Charlize Theron kick Alien butt in Ridley Scott's prequel?

Guess which Oscar-winning female star has backed out of a role in Clint Eastwood's new movie—and may now possibly star in the Alien prequel?

According to Vulture, Charlize Theron has dropped out of Eastwood's upcoming biopic of J. Edgar Hoover, which might just leave her schedule open to star in Ridley Scott's highly anticipated prequel to his original 1979 film Alien. Actually, it seems that Theron's agents had said she would do the Hoover film before she actually agreed to it. Although that left her in the position of having to apologize to Dirty Harry, it also left a large space in her calendar—which 20th Century Fox is eager to fill.

Scott, for his part, is apparently determined to have Swedish actress Noomi Rapace (the Swedish-language The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Sherlock Holmes 2) play the female lead, Elizabeth Shaw, in the Alien prequel. However, there is another female character named Vickers, described as a "fortysomething, tough-but-sexy crewmember," which he wanted to give to Michelle Yeoh (Tomorrow Never Dies).

But with the budget for Alien said to be skyrocketing, Fox wants a better-known name in there. That's where Theron might come in. Fox is reportedly having the role of Vickers rewritten to make it bigger and more appealing to the actress, who will get the new script this week and decide whether she wants to do it soon after.

There's been a slew of Alien rumors in recent months, with a number of them debunked, and Vulture has published its fair share of them. So for now we'll treat this as a rumor, too.

• PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

hurry with the hobbit flick!!!
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Jeez, at this point does anyone care about the Alien franchise?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

the predators do i think
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
          hurry with the hobbit flick!!!
          If they don't hurry up Christopher Lee will be dead.

I hope they aren't paying Orlando Bloom good money when a cardboard cut out would be as convincing.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Jeez, at this point does anyone care about the Alien franchise?
            The fact it's Ridley Scott making it does make a big difference though. That and it's a prequel so they can ignore all the children comic stuff that came later.

RS has made as many turkeys as hits in recent years though like Robin Hood, A Good Year and Kingdom of Heaven along with some pretty boring stuff.

I guess it will all come down to whether there is a good script. I would wait to see what the reviews are like, less than a 50-50 chance of it being good I think.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

The hobbit is perhaps my favorite novel of all time, and I could give two fucks less about any of those shitheels (with the exception of gollum and gandalf) showing up. What a fucking joke, to tamper with a movie that already has a fucking tie-in...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

I'm sick of the fucking Alien movies at this point...although...a prequel could have something worth offering...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  The hobbit is perhaps my favorite novel of all time, and I could give two fucks less about any of those shitheels (with the exception of gollum and gandalf) showing up. What a fucking joke, to tamper with a movie that already has a fucking tie-in...
                  I read the trilogy long before the movies came out, yet for some reason never got around to The Hobbit. I'll probably do so now, so that when it hits theaters (and then shows up every other weekend on TNT), it won't be tainted by some film maker's "interpretation" of the material.

Oddly enough, after reading those books, a whole bunch of early Zeppelin lyrics started to make more sense.
                  Last edited by chefcraig; 01-11-2011, 09:13 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

As I remember The Hobbit is a much better read than the LOR and doesn't have all the pointless fucking songs.

I probably won't go to see it, by the 4th or 5th ending of the last LOR movie I was bored out my mind.

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      I read the trilogy long before the movies came out, yet for some reason never got around to The Hobbit. I'll probably do so now, so that when it hits theaters (and then shows up every other weekend on TNT), it won't be tainted by some film maker's "interpretation" of the material.

Oddly enough, after reading those books, a whole bunch of early Zeppelin lyrics started to make more sense.
                      The Hobbit is a must read, Craig.
                      Originally posted by vandeleur
                      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                        I have had the damned thing sitting on my bookshelf and collecting dust for several years now, so I might as well get on with it.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by kwame k
                          For a 12 year old or a drummer

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I mean come on guys...

The Hobbit is a tale of high adventure, undertaken by a company of dwarves, in search of dragon-guarded gold. A reluctant partner in this perilous quest is Bilbo Baggins, a comfort-loving, unambitious hobbit, who surprises even himself by his resourcefulness and his skill as a burglar. Encounters with trolls, goblins, dwarves, elves and giant spiders, conversations with the dragon, Smaug the Magnificent, and a rather unwilling presence at the Battle of the Five Armies are some of the adventures

Description
                            The Hobbit is a tale of high adventure, undertaken by a company of dwarves, in search of dragon-guarded gold. A reluctant partner in this perilous quest is Bilbo Baggins, a comfort-loving, unambitious hobbit, who suprises even himself by his resourcefulness and his skill as a burglar. Encounters with trolls, goblins, dwarves, elves and giant spiders, conversations with the dragon, Smaug the Magnificent, and a rather unwilling presence at the Battle of the Five Armies are some of the adventures which befall Bilbo. But there are lighter moments as well: good fellowship, welcome meals, laughter and song.

Reader's Reviews

It is a complete and marvellous tale in itself, but it also forms a fantastic prelude to The Lord of the Rings series.

Parental Guidance
                            Reading Age: 11+
                            Reading Aloud Age: 10+

There are lots and lots of monsters in this book, and also plenty of peril.
                            Gandalf, the wizard, is skilled in the use of magic; however there is a clear distinction between good and bad characters.

Bilbo finds a magic ring which, when he puts it on, makes him invisible.

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              For a 12 year old or a drummer
                              I guess I should of put the caveat in there and the thing you forgot to list................................

A must read if you are higher than a kite
                              Last edited by kwame k; 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM.
                              Originally posted by vandeleur
                              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

Working...