X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
    And just what the fuck is so difficult about translating a tv series to film? Aside from The Untouchables, The Fugitive and a few Star Trek films, can anyone here name even one that was worth a shit?

Miami Vice movie broke my heart. Yes, I was one of those dorky kids in the 80's that LOVED that show. Crockett living on a boat with a pet alligator = bad motherfucker. I really loved that show and a show called Crime Story that came on after it for a season. And Hollywood fucking ruined it!

Um......Twilight Zone movie was pretty cool. The Simpsons movie was entertaining. But no more than any regular episode of the show. It just seemed like a long special episode rather than a movie.

But you're right Chef. I am having a hard time thinking of anything else that was good. It's just as bad when they go the other way and make a movie into a TV series. Young Indiana Jones anyone?
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Anonymous
      Banned
      • May 2004

WHAT MIAMI VICE FILM??? THERE WAS NO MIAMI VICE FILM.

And what's more, I can backup that claim by stating before god, king & country that I have never watched any film labelled as such, nor will I ever.

Crime Story was two seasons & it KICKED ARSE! Ray Luca was one stylish, bad muthafucka.

"I'm a-walkin' in the rain... tears are fallin' n' I feel the pain...

Fuck yeah.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
        Miami Vice movie broke my heart. Yes, I was one of those dorky kids in the 80's that LOVED that show. Crockett living on a boat with a pet alligator = bad motherfucker. I really loved that show and a show called Crime Story that came on after it for a season. And Hollywood fucking ruined it!
        Crime Story was outstanding, and was produced by Vice's Michael Mann. (Still can't get my head around how badly he screwed up the movie of his own show.) This might interest you: Remember when Paul Michael Glaser was directing all of those Miami Vice episodes? During a break in the shooting schedule, he gathered up a bunch of folks from the television crew that Mann regularly employed on either Vice or Crime Story, and shot a pilot about a group of young punks that are forced to work together as part of their jail sentence. All of the networks passed on it, so it was released as a feature film. If you can find it, it's called Band Of The Hand and is really quite good.

And I still believe that Michael Mann's version of Red Dragon (called Manhunter, unbelievably filmed and released in 1986, the same year as Band Of The Hand and Crime Story) is ten times better than the crummy 2002 version. In fact, all the films that came after Silence of the Lambs seemed to be rip-offs capitalizing on the popularity of Hannibal Lector. Mann's film was first, and therefore untainted by any of that greedy baloney.
        Last edited by chefcraig; 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Dan
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Looks Too Sweet As To Miss.
          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Anonymous
            Banned
            • May 2004

And I still believe that Michael Mann's version of Red Dragon (called Manhunter, unbelievably filmed and released in 1986, the same year as Band Of The Hand and Crime Story) is ten times better than the crummy 2002 version. In fact, all the films that came after Silence of the Lambs seemed to be rip-offs capitalizing on the popularity of Hannibal Lector. Mann's film was first, and therefore untainted by any of that greedy baloney.
            Brother, you have no idea. Are you aware that "Hannibal Rising" only came to life because the De Laurentiis pressured Thomas Harris to write one more book? For the love of fuck, the man was more than done with this truly excellent character, in fact going a bit overboard at times in "Hannibal".

And THAT is why "Hannibal Rising" is a wankfest of myth destruction as it mercilessly ravages the most brilliant character of the twentieth century in a spiral of exposure that renders the character more & more bland as the "story" unveils what should've been kept a secret: Lecter's life.

Sure, it has it moments... but they certainly don't make up for the unveiling of answers that shouldn't've been asked in the first place.

At least the films "Red Dragon" & "Hannibal" had been based off brilliant books - and "Hannibal" had Julianne Moore - so, while they were obviously done to capitalize on Hopkins's portrayal of Lecter, there was some solid back story to it... as for which version is the best, well, honestly, I'm glad there's two of 'em, since they're so different.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Allright my army brothers & sisters.....I am really getting fired up for the Green Lantern film. Fuck! 2 months I gotta wait? Damn!

New TV spots. Kinda cool. But that 4 min version in post 1 is by far EPIC!

FUCK ME RUNNIN! this shit is gonna rock!

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Sorry to the mods here. I like to keep all my Green Lantern clips here in 1 thread. Easier for me than cruising all over YouTube

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

There was a front page article in Sunday's USA Weekend section of our local paper, featuring the actors from next month's Thor and July's Captain America: The First Avenger. The one bit of interest was the mention that both were getting in shape for filming the long suspected Avengers movie, which will be released around this time in 2012.

USA Weekend Summer Movie Preview: Superhero Mash-Up

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Looks like they're going to flood the market with comic book films this summer. Just means that it will get old very, very quickly.
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

For me it got old around the time of the second Batman film...

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                        Looks like they're going to flood the market with comic book films this summer. Just means that it will get old very, very quickly.
                        Not just in 2011, either. LINK

* Thor (2011)
                        * Green Lantern (2011)
                        * The First Avenger - Captain America (2011)
                        * X-Men First Class (2011)
                        * Deathlok (2011)
                        * Luke Cage (2011)
                        * Ghost Rider 2 (2012)
                        * Nick Fury (2012)
                        * The Avengers (2012)
                        * Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam (2012)
                        * Superman - Man of Steel (2012)
                        * Venom (2012)
                        * The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
                        * Deadpool (2012)
                        * X-Men Origins - Wolverine 2 (2012)
                        * The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
                        * Flash Gordon (2012)
                        * Runaways (2012)
                        * Justice League - Mortal (2013)
                        * The Flash (2013)
                        * Iron Man 3 (2013)
                        * Teen Titans (2013)
                        * Lobo (2013)
                        * Silver Surfer (2014)
                        * Ant-Man (2014)
                        * Sub-Mariner (2014)
                        * Wonder Woman (2015)

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

So which wins?

Avengers or Justice League?

Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc... are some serious mofos. Not a fan of Wonder Woman, but they are filming it now.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

* Superman - Man of Steel (2012)

They better do him right this time God dammit!

Superman is my 2nd favorite superhero of all.

Hey Sad, who is #1?

Last edited by sadaist; 04-18-2011, 08:45 PM. Reason: Yes! Indy counts. Fuck you anyhow....

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

I'd have to agree that comic book / tv superhero movies making a leap to the big screen is very mixed in terms of results.

The problem is all the A-grade heroes have been plundered to the point where all we have are the second string characters to choose from.

Thor? Really? He needs a movie?

The Green Hornet? Ugh.

Iron Man?

Why not just make a Shazzam! movie while they're at it...or a Goober & The Ghostbusters feature-length flick...or a Hong Kong Phooey live action film...

I mean, even the Batman series overall wasn't THAT great of a shakes. The first two Burton flicks were average-to-good, the Schumacher ones sucked, Batman Begins was decent and the Dark Knight was excellent. Did we really need another Superman reboot several years back? Or a sequel to the Hulk? The Spiderman series started off strong but got weaker with each new release. Loved Watchmen...now we got a new Wonder Woman project starting up, but they're gonna make the WW uniform less revealing? Fuck that. I say get Lynda Carter back into that outfit, aged wrinkles and all...she had such lovely honkers.
                              Last edited by Terry; 04-20-2011, 11:12 AM. Reason: Lick My Love Pump
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• chefcraig
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Apr 2004

Believe it or not, Shazam is reportedly in development.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...