Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

I will post an image that is a bit unusual. Went outside about 5:30 or so. Starting to get light out. Got my camera and stuff and brought it inside. Looked through the images.

Apparently I caught an image of a small meteor at 5:17 AM. As I was doing 20-second exposures, the sky seems brighter than it actually was, due to the accumulation of light over 20 seconds.

Anyway, I cropped it at about 1/4 the size of the entire image:
    Attached Files

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2007

thought hr might like this

Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 08-30-2011, 07:37 PM. Reason: boobs
      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Saw that! Really cool!

If you wanna see more time-lapse video of the Milky Way (which are sort of scary as they truly give you a feeling of the fact we are just a speck of dirt hanging out in an eternity of nothingness), go to www.timescapes.org and check out their user forums.

Ugh...I just now went to check it out and got this error message, so you will have to try back later most likely:
        Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
        The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
        But there is a sub-forum there that is for users to show their work, and there are many videos similar to that one.

Check this vimeo page out:

Purchase "TimeScapes" the movie here: timescapes.org/products/default.aspx Purchase the film on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/movie/timescapes/id523328712 This…

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Picture of one from the International Space Centre.
          So this got me thinking - what's stopping the space station from getting pelted?
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Good question.

Found this:

Radar.

Large objects can be detected from the ground or from the space station, and the station is moved out of the way.

The space station and the shuttle are designed to take hits from objects too small to detect from radar and still survive.

......................................…
            ...Larger particles (objects greater than 10-cm in diameter) are being tracked and catalogued by USSPACECOM radar. Spacecraft and satellites can avoid collisions by maneuvering around the larger debris. For example, when a space shuttle is in orbit, the USSPACECOM regularly examines the trajectories of orbital debris to identify possible close encounters. If a catalogued object is projected to come within a few kilometers of the space shuttle, it will normally maneuver away from the object.

Particles less than 1 mm in diameter are not tracked by radar. Fortunately, small particles pose less of a catastrophic threat but they do cause surface abrasions and microscopic holes to spacecraft and satellites.

The greatest challenge is medium size particles (objects with a diameter between 1 mm to 10 cm) because they are not easily tracked and are large enough to cause catastrophic damage to spacecraft and satellites.

Why simulate particle impacts on spacecraft?
            Spacecraft must be designed to withstand hypervelocity impacts by untrackable particles. Conducting hypervelocity impacts on spacecraft and satellite components assesses the risk of orbital debris impacting operating spacecraft and satellites. Developing new materials and designs from HVI impact data provides a better understanding to protect spacecraft and satellites from the debris in the space environment.

One concept of spacecraft shielding recently developed, termed multishock, uses several layers of lightweight ceramic fabric to act as "bumpers," which repeatedly shock a projectile to such high energy levels that it melts or vaporizes before it can penetrate a spacecraft's walls. Lightweight shields based on this concept are used on the International Space Station (ISS)....

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Hardrock69
              Cool! Thanks... now i feel slightly smarter...
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

a few thousand kph. that's almost impossible to predict.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Not almost. It IS impossible to predict.

With that Space Station in orbit, it is like a Cosmic Crapshoot.

Comment

• Little Texan
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Not to mention all of the space junk floating around up there.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Riding on the ISS looks cool...

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/D79EgWVN_is?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/D79EgWVN_is?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Comment

• SunisinuS
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                        Not almost. It IS impossible to predict.

With that Space Station in orbit, it is like a Cosmic Crapshoot.
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• fifth element
                          Commando
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                          lol...
                          “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Little Texan
                            Not to mention all of the space junk floating around up there.

The ESA Space Debris Accumulation represents the junk putted in the space from 1957 through 2000. According to ESA’s resident space debris expert, Walter Flury, the 10,000 pieces of space litter catalogued at the end of 2003 break into the following categories:

* 41% — miscellaneous fragments

* 22% — old spacecraft

* 13% — mission related objects

* 7% — operational spacecraft

* 7% — rocket bodies

It means that there’s 93% pure junk and only 7% useful satellites circling the earth…

Comment

Working...