Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

It doesn't concern me how old the plane is so much. An airframe can pretty much last forever as long as it's maintained. Look at the B-52's still flying and will fly until the middle of this century. To keep a plane FAA certified requires going over everything. Most crashes are the result of pilot error. I've seen people do some stupid shit. I've seen too many people load up a small plane with people and luggage and then try to take off on a hot day. They stall the plane and crash. I've seen people take off without topping their tanks off thinking they can make it to the destination and then they run into a headwind. A friend of mine ran out of fuel on final approach and plowed through a barbed wire fence. He was in a hurry to get home and didn't want to mess with waiting for the fuel truck. If you are going 150 miles you can get there faster just driving. By the time you do your pre flight check, top the tanks off, warm up the engine, taxi and takeoff you are well on your way in a car. Then you have to land, find a tie down spot (getting expensive these days) and rent a car. In a small plane if bad weather rolls in you are grounded because you can't get above it. Small planes are just glorified toys and not serious transportation. Unless you can get up above the weather you are seriously handicapped.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I grew up in central Idaho so I'm used to landing on some scary airstrips. We had quite a few bush pilots in our town including my dad.

Comment

• SunisinuS
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • May 2010

I have my mountain checkout. All you have to do is to check and follow the charts, communicate, ask locals. Speak! Listen for that stall horn! Look for deer and the rabbits following them. hehe. Courtesy car baby...then you just take a tarp and drape it over the wing. Camping camping campin. Lewiston was part of my cross country solo. Walla Walla.

Tell your dad if he is still kicking hello.

Went up to CDL just to go golfing for the weekend with two buddies. Got fogged in.....didn't get out until Monday right before classes.

My neck of the woods Currently:

This one is a pilot killer for those who do not know the area.
        Last edited by SunisinuS; 09-16-2011, 11:02 PM. Reason: Nitro...nice to see another pilot on here.
        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by SunisinuS
          lol Nice Orion. Man the whole cavalier shit is so military. Everyday is a good day to die! Was fun watching this crew...thanks nitro.

Gotta love the hula gal. Think I will have to add her to my flight collective. For those that watch this video, at :49 you will see how I used to pass beers back to the people in the back seat as we flew on our way to a Grateful Dead Concert. Let it float out of my hand and then push the nose back down and watch it gracefully travel back to the person that needed one. Me I was flying...so no beer for the pilot. Only for the drummer when I was back on the ground. It was also how I used to pass the boombox after starting My Tunes in it. Lol this huge boombox would float back over the headrest and just float down in their lap. Comedy.

Roth On!
          Glad you liked it. It's the Marines flying the Blue Angel's transport plane. Flying by the numbers to say the least. Grateful Dead? Were you flying one of these with wings?

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

It's all in the takeoff baby...without that...there would be no landing.

Let me roll up on the sidewalk and take a look!
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I have my mountain checkout. All you have to do is to check and follow the charts, communicate, ask locals. Speak! Listen for that stall horn! Look for deer and the rabbits following them. hehe. Courtesy car baby...then you just take a tarp and drape it over the wing. Camping camping campin. Lewiston was part of my cross country solo. Walla Walla.

Tell your dad if he is still kicking hello.

Went up to CDL just to go golfing for the weekend with two buddies. Got fogged in.....didn't get out until Monday right before classes.

My neck of the woods Currently:

This one is a pilot killer for those who do not know the area.
              We used to have a cabin not too far from an old forrest service strip. My dad put in a windsock and we used it. Then at the cabin we had an old Willie's Jeep we would bring up for the summer. Man, I was always scared that old Jeep would break down and leave us stranded but it never did. The horn was just a piece of wire on the steering wheel hub and it would shoot sparks all over the place if you honked the horn. Some good memories there. I remember if we had a plane full of people he would wait until right before sunset to take off to take advantage of the cold air so we could miss the big ass mountain at the end of the runway. Fun but scary at times. What scared the shit out of people that never flew with us before was the signal going off from the end of runway beacon flying into our home airport. That thing was loud as hell and would make the unnacustomed shit their pants thinking it was an engine alarm or something. Most my friends dads had their pilots licenses. Different times. If you were middle class you could have a plane and boat in those days.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

It's all in the takeoff baby...without that...there would be no landing.

Let me roll up on the sidewalk and take a look!
                If you have some good acid man yeah you deffinately can take off. Sometimes those landings are rough though.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • May 2010

Yea. Man Yea. Times are always going forward. The sports license now. All I can hope for now is a personal amphibious X plane that I can fly off of John Denver's ashes. I will not stop though. So like you and your dad.....we will continue to fly. Period.

Last edited by SunisinuS; 09-16-2011, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Every now and then I will see Harrison Ford's DeHavilland flying above the valley here.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Yea. Man Yea. Times are always going forward. The sports license now. All I can hope for now is a personal amphibious X plane that I can fly off of John Denver's ashes. I will not stop though. So like you and your dad.....we will continue to fly. Period.

The real flying junky is my brother in law. He's been a commercial pilot for about 30 years. He's flying for Delta now. If he's not flying for work he is flying some kind of cool small plane. He flys everyday whether it's for work or fun. I will be flying and we will be going up and down and I turn the yoke over to him and it's dead steady. He makes it look easy.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2007

http://news.yahoo.com/3-dead-56-inju...020656982.htmlhttp://http://news.yahoo.com/3-dead-...020656982.html
                        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• SunisinuS
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • May 2010

You know that this is the nation recognized for doing flight...Wright?

So even when the world hurts....and the chances we take seem to be leading towards death.....without Flight....where would this country be?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Kudo to a fellow pilot. Cherokee 6528Charlie says hello.
                            I spent many hours in a Piper Cherokee myself. Kind of gave the tail end some gravel rash from landing it on gravel runways though. I'm flying a Mooney now. Too nice to land on gravel and oh yes retractable gear is nice unless you forget to put it down. Got to have that on the checklist. LOL!
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 09-16-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

You know that this is the nation recognized for doing flight...Wright?

So even when the world hurts....and the chances we take seem to be leading towards death.....without Flight....where would this country be?
                              What amazes me about the Wright Brothers is modern technicians and engineers try to recreate their planes and what they did and always end up failing. They can't do it as well as the Wright Brothers did. Also, that simple wing lift mechanism they designed is very accurate. You don't realize how gifted and brilliant those guys were until people today try to copy what they did.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • May 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                I spent many hours in a Piper Cherokee myself. Kind of gave the tail end some gravel rash from landing it on gravel runways though. I'm flying a Mooney now. Too nice to land on gravel and oh yes retractable gear is nice unless you forget to put it down. Got to have that on the checklist. LOL!

Envious of the Mooney. Sweet sliding well designed airplane. Please always do your checklist and fear the weather ok?

Comment

Working...