Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I wouldn't say that flying aircraft is particularly dangerous, but I think airshows are.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, it's not so much the planes themselves but rather the closeness of the audience. If you get a mechanical fuckup in your "trim tab" (part of the tail) that causes the plane to go vertical, then the pilot can pretty much kiss his ass goodbye, and that sucks for him, but, absent an air show, he wouldn't have taken 8 others with him.

At the very least, I'll bet they don't have "box seats" at this event in the future. Had the entire audience been in the bleachers when this crash happened, I doubt there would have been any other casualties at all, since the flying debris didn't seem to go that far, from the videos I've seen.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

After watching the Ukraine air show disaster on line a few months ago I vowed I would never go to one of those things.

Absolutely horrific.

I realise that statistically there is an argument that hundreds of them go off with no problem but the footage of bits of the 19 dead kids strewn all over the place was pretty convincing that standing underneath planes doing acrobatics with your family was taking a needless risk.
        Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-18-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          I wouldn't say that flying aircraft is particularly dangerous, but I think airshows are.
          Flying an aircraft low to the ground and pushing it hard is dangerous. Flying in the Reno air races is dangerous. The most dangerous part of flying is take off and final approach. If you lose an engine then you don't have time to restart it. Being up higher buys you time.

Air shows can be made safer by distancing the crowd from where the planes are flying. Notice at Reno the plane crashed into the VIP section. Why? Those were the seats closest to the action.

The closer you are the more thrilling but the plane might just crash where you are observing from. Maybe they should have general seating in a safe distanced area and then post it that you may be hit by airplane wreckage past a certain point. At least let the people know the risk they are taking.

I ski in avalanche areas and they post the dangers and let everyone know past that point you are on your own. I know how to read the snow and there are some days you do it and other days it's suicide to go in there. The fabulous untouched powder is worth the risk. I've done it for years.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• fifth element
            Commando
            • Nov 2010

kudos to all of you pilots ...you're all doing something that i would have loved to try, but never got around to.
            “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by fifth element
              kudos to all of you pilots ...you're all doing something that i would have loved to try, but never got around to.
              ya need one of these?

Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Flying has always been expensive but right now it's really expensive and it's all about flight hours. The more the better. What's funny is my flight instructor said so many beginning pilots use a flight simulator program to learn the instrument panel that when you get them into a real plane you have to tell them to look out the fucking window instead of being fixated on the instruments all the time.

He said before those programs became available you were always trying to get the newbies to learn their instruments and stop relying on visual references so much. Now he says instruments are no longer the challenge they were common sense seems to be missing. LOL!

Really if you want to start flying get you one of those flight simulator programs and go to it. You can actually learn a lot from them and will be better prepared than if you just showed up to a flight school with zero experience. You can learn the instrument panel, how to navigate, how to do a controlled turn. You can kill yourself many times over without actually dying. That's where I would start.
                Last edited by Nitro Express; 09-19-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• fifth element
                  Commando
                  • Nov 2010

thx, Nitro, my son actually has one of those Simulator programs, given to him from a friend of ours who is a pilot....
                  I'll have to give it a shot one day.
                  “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

thx, Nitro, my son actually has one of those Simulator programs, given to him from a friend of ours who is a pilot....
                    I'll have to give it a shot one day.
                    You can actually get real flight hours on simulator now. I got real stick time very young. My dad would let me fly his plane. He would tell me the compass heading and the altitude. I always went up in altitude though. I wasn't even big enough to reach the rudder pedals with my feet or see over the instrument panel. My job during the pre flight was to go under the wing and bleed the tank bottoms. I was short enough that I could get under the wing of a Piper Cherokee no problem.

Comment

• lesfunk
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Some pics just before impact
                      Attached Files
                      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

With the G's that plane was pulling I'm sure the pilot blacked out before it crashed. He barely had time to shit his pants. If he was up higher he probably could have recovered from it and landed the plane. Pushing things that hard that low is extremely dangerous. Flying the air races is also very taxing on your body because of the high G load.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • May 2010

The fight of flight goes on:

Harrowing new details have emerged from the last moments of Air France Flight 447 which crashed into the Atlantic in June 2009, killing all 228 aboard.
                          Last edited by SunisinuS; 10-16-2011, 05:51 AM. Reason: On the lighter side: http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/topvideos/2011/10/13/pkg-couple-has-sex-while-skydiving.kget#/video/to
                          Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

Working...