Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Good looking puppy. There is a cute stray that lives somewhere by the McDonalds here. A fenced off & closed movie theater is where he lives in the overgrown bushes i think. Can't even get close to him but he seems very nice & smart. I think a lot of people try to catch him every morning & feed him from a distance. Something is wrong with his paws but no one can get to him. A few weeks ago I saw animal control using nets to try & catch him but he was too fast. I was hoping he would get away because they'll just kill him. At least out here he has a chance. A small chance but thats better than none.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• vh rides again
      Commando
      • Dec 2006

Here's a pic of some fish I raised this past year .

I posted them earlier in this thread some months back, they are quite a bit bigger and have developed a lot more color.

They are about as big as a grapefruit or a large orange.

They are called discus and come in dozens of different colors variety.

I have the parents too.

Roth And Roll

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Wow! Those fish are awesome. I could watch a fish tank all night. So soothing. All I've ever had myself is a beta. Fucker lived for like 3 years too.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Angel
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vh rides again
          Here's a pic of some fish I raised this past year .

I posted them earlier in this thread some months back, they are quite a bit bigger and have developed a lot more color.

They are about as big as a grapefruit or a large orange.

They are called discus and come in dozens of different colors variety.

I have the parents too.

Roth And Roll
          Tahiti has loads of these. They swim in huge schools and bump into you. Freaks you out at first, but you get used to it.

Sent from my GS2, bitches
          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• vh rides again
            Commando
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Angel
            Tahiti has loads of these. They swim in huge schools and bump into you. Freaks you out at first, but you get used to it.

I've never been to Tahiti, Darnit!

I can assure you these fish weren't there. The wild type of this fish comes from tributaries of the amazon river in South America .

They do get confused with being a saltwater fish but are not.

They are the king of the aquarium and through extensive breeding come in many colors.

They are the most colorful freshwater fish.

Roth And Roll

Comment

• katina
              Commando
              • Mar 2012

What a very beautiful fish!!! I have a friend who is working in the Amazon Triple Frontier (Brazil, Colombia, Perú), I will ask her about Discus.
              It should be great to watch them in their natural habitat.

Comment

• katina
                Commando
                • Mar 2012

I never had a fish tank, I always thought that it would be very complicated. Trying to learn about Discus, I found this very informative video about Discus Aquarium Tips, from Jacobs Aquarium.
                Discus seems no very complicated to rise, and check Jacobs t-shirt and little bird, I don´t know the name in english, but it looks like a little parrot.

Comment

• Angel
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

I've never been to Tahiti, Darnit!

I can assure you these fish weren't there. The wild type of this fish comes from tributaries of the amazon river in South America .

They do get confused with being a saltwater fish but are not.

They are the king of the aquarium and through extensive breeding come in many colors.

They are the most colorful freshwater fish.

Roth And Roll
                  Whoops, it's clown fish and angel fish that bump into you in Tahiti...same shape as these, does that count?

Tahiti is INCREDIBLE! Once you've been there it's easy to see why Dave loves it so much. I've only been once, but my brother has been 5 times. I hope to make it back one day, but I would need to win a lottery first.

"Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• katina
                    Commando
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by sadaist
                    Good looking puppy. There is a cute stray that lives somewhere by the McDonalds here. A fenced off & closed movie theater is where he lives in the overgrown bushes i think. Can't even get close to him but he seems very nice & smart. I think a lot of people try to catch him every morning & feed him from a distance. Something is wrong with his paws but no one can get to him. A few weeks ago I saw animal control using nets to try & catch him but he was too fast. I was hoping he would get away because they'll just kill him. At least out here he has a chance. A small chance but thats better than none.
                    Pancho is a very nice dog, he is always playing and chews everything he finds.
                    I hope that the stray dog would survives, we don´t have animal control here, and animals have a terrible life and death, but you can´t imagine the number of abandoned animals we have living in the streets, most of them are killed by cars. There are some private shelters who rescue the injured animals, and they heal them, they don´t euthanize any dog, they have the "Disabled Club", there are dogs with only two legs, quadriplegic, blinds. etc. It´s heartbreaking, but the dogs are so happy!!! And some good people adopt them. Here is a photo of a volunteer and some of the disabled dogs.

Comment

• vh rides again
                      Commando
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by katina
                      What a very beautiful fish!!! I have a friend who is working in the Amazon Triple Frontier (Brazil, Colombia, Perú), I will ask her about Discus.
                      It should be great to watch them in their natural habitat.
                      Yep they are in those areas.

They are very different looking as a wild fish but still neat looking.

There is a lot of history regarding discus fish, they are near impossible to breed as wilds.
                      Only a few people have done it with the heckles.
                      The domestics are much easier to breed but still require huge upkeep.

They require huge water changes daily to keep them healthy and growing.

Any slacking will result in football shaped fish, they are supposed to be round, which is where the name discus comes from.
                      If you ever plan on trying to keep them go to a website named daah discus as a hobby, and talk to John Nicholson or Liz, they give good advice.
                      They are easy to keep but require lots of new water, I use 300 gallons of water a day.

Thanks for the compliment

Roth And Roll

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                        Full Member Status

• May 2010

I never had a fish tank, I always thought that it would be very complicated. Trying to learn about Discus, I found this very informative video about Discus Aquarium Tips, from Jacobs Aquarium.
                        Discus seems no very complicated to rise, and check Jacobs t-shirt and little bird, I don´t know the name in english, but it looks like a little parrot.
                        I have some old aquarium books from back in the day when I was into fish and they mentioned about Discus fish that in the begining of these fish as pets they couldn't figure out why the offspring kept dying and it took years to figure out how to raise them in captivity.

Collectors would and still often immediately remove the parents from the tank to protect the baby fish from canibalism.

But, it seems that the Discus adult parent fish have a slime coat on thier bodies that the fry live off of and without it they won't survive to the age where they can accept other foods.

I never had Discus fish they aren't a community type fish with the agressive species I also had...they are cool looking.
                        2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                        clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• vh rides again
                          Commando
                          • Dec 2006

Here are a few pics and video's

This is the adult female guarding her eggs.

This is a picture of the fry hanging on the parent fish's sides.
                          They eat the secretion that the parents secrete on their bodies, they must eat it to survive. they are the only fish that do this.

Heres a video of the fry and parents, they were about 2 days free swimming. There were approximatly 170.

Another at 10 days

This was them at about 1.5 months

Ill post pics in about 6 months when they are adults and have developed their full colors.

Comment

• katina
                            Commando
                            • Mar 2012

What a wonderful experience to have those fishes and raise and watch the fry grow up

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Pancho is a very nice dog, he is always playing and chews everything he finds.
                              I hope that the stray dog would survives, we don´t have animal control here, and animals have a terrible life and death, but you can´t imagine the number of abandoned animals we have living in the streets, most of them are killed by cars. There are some private shelters who rescue the injured animals, and they heal them, they don´t euthanize any dog, they have the "Disabled Club", there are dogs with only two legs, quadriplegic, blinds. etc. It´s heartbreaking, but the dogs are so happy!!! And some good people adopt them. Here is a photo of a volunteer and some of the disabled dogs.

That's awesome. My friend has a 3 legged dog that is just as happy & healthy as any dog I have ever seen. It's so sad how animals are living abandoned out there. I wish I had a huge ranch in Montana & could just get them all. Some animals have never even had a moment of love in their lives and that is awful. Cruel world we live in.

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

This is a picture of the fry hanging on the parent fish's sides.
                                They eat the secretion that the parents secrete on their bodies, they must eat it to survive. they are the only fish that do this.

Now that is fucking insanely cool! thanks for sharing. I never knew that. And look how tiny they are. wow.

*I've seen welfare moms at the Walmart with their kids that look kinda like that too.

Comment

Working...