X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FORD
    Dark chocolate bars with peppers in them have been around a little while now.....

Had no idea there was an ice cream like that though. Sounds like something crazy enough for Ben & Jerry to try......
    the bride has brought those home before, good..yet...whoo, bit-o-heat
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Angel
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Fruit and maple oatmeal. One of the few healthy choices on the McD menu...
      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Angel
        One of the few healthy choices on the McD menu...
        You're silly...

The 21 Ingredients in McDonald’s Fruit & Maple Oatmeal

Link!

So why is McDonald’s oatmeal so unhealthy? It starts with the fact that their new “bowl full of wholesome” contains 21 ingredients.

“A more accurate description than “100% natural whole-grain oats,” “plump raisins,” “sweet cranberries” and “crisp fresh apples” would be “oats, sugar, sweetened dried fruit, cream and 11 weird ingredients you would never keep in your kitchen.”

So what is actually in the oatmeal? McDonald’s first ingredient list shows: Oatmeal, Diced Apples, Cranberry Raisin Blend, Light Cream. Wow, only 5 easy-to-understand and simple ingredients; sounds good, right? But then as you look down the page a bit you realize that each of those ingredients have sub-ingredients:

Oatmeal:
        Whole grain rolled oats, brown sugar, food starch-modified, salt, natural flavor (plant source), barley malt extract, caramel color (the oatmeal without brown sugar does not contain brown sugar, but adds maltodextrin).

Diced Apples:
        Apples, calcium ascorbate (a blend of calcium and vitamin C to maintain freshness and color).

Cranberry Raisin Blend:
        Dried sweetened cranberries (sugar, cranberries), California raisins, golden raisins, sunflower oil, sulfur dioxide (preservative).

Light Cream:
        Milk, cream, sodium phosphate, datem, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium citrate, carrageenan.

Out of curiosity, where is the maple in their “Fruit & Maple Oatmeal?” Apparently, that is a whole other topic as McDonald’s was sued by State Officials in Vermont for using the word maple without the product actually containing real maple syrup. While the oatmeal can be ordered with or without sugar, the amount of calories this breakfast dish contains in quite shocking. As Bittman so eloquently states:

The aspect one cannot argue is nutrition: Incredibly, the McDonald’s product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)

This a classic example of a food company taking a healthy food, adding a bunch of chemicals, colorings, preservatives and sweeteners to make it “better” (read = cheaper and lasts forever on the shelf). Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick to my boiled rolled oats with fresh apples, unsweetened raisins, cinnamon, cooked with good old water.

Comment

• Angel
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          You're silly...

The 21 Ingredients in McDonald’s Fruit & Maple Oatmeal

Link!

So why is McDonald’s oatmeal so unhealthy? It starts with the fact that their new “bowl full of wholesome” contains 21 ingredients.

“A more accurate description than “100% natural whole-grain oats,” “plump raisins,” “sweet cranberries” and “crisp fresh apples” would be “oats, sugar, sweetened dried fruit, cream and 11 weird ingredients you would never keep in your kitchen.”

So what is actually in the oatmeal? McDonald’s first ingredient list shows: Oatmeal, Diced Apples, Cranberry Raisin Blend, Light Cream. Wow, only 5 easy-to-understand and simple ingredients; sounds good, right? But then as you look down the page a bit you realize that each of those ingredients have sub-ingredients:

Oatmeal:
          Whole grain rolled oats, brown sugar, food starch-modified, salt, natural flavor (plant source), barley malt extract, caramel color (the oatmeal without brown sugar does not contain brown sugar, but adds maltodextrin).

Diced Apples:
          Apples, calcium ascorbate (a blend of calcium and vitamin C to maintain freshness and color).

Cranberry Raisin Blend:
          Dried sweetened cranberries (sugar, cranberries), California raisins, golden raisins, sunflower oil, sulfur dioxide (preservative).

Light Cream:
          Milk, cream, sodium phosphate, datem, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium citrate, carrageenan.

Out of curiosity, where is the maple in their “Fruit & Maple Oatmeal?” Apparently, that is a whole other topic as McDonald’s was sued by State Officials in Vermont for using the word maple without the product actually containing real maple syrup. While the oatmeal can be ordered with or without sugar, the amount of calories this breakfast dish contains in quite shocking. As Bittman so eloquently states:

The aspect one cannot argue is nutrition: Incredibly, the McDonald’s product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)

This a classic example of a food company taking a healthy food, adding a bunch of chemicals, colorings, preservatives and sweeteners to make it “better” (read = cheaper and lasts forever on the shelf). Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick to my boiled rolled oats with fresh apples, unsweetened raisins, cinnamon, cooked with good old water.

I said healthier...as in the options available. And we get real maple sugar here. Still better than what's available on campus.
          Last edited by Angel; 06-06-2013, 12:37 PM.
          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
            Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Damn I love that stuff and thought I was doing my diet good.

Oh dear.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Angel
              I said healthier...as in the options available.
              No, you said one of the few healthy...

Chemicals are not healthy...

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2007

No, you said one of the few healthy...

i gotta ask. elvis, are chemicals healthy?
                Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Certainly not, and let me tell you why...

Preservatives are additives to food to help them last longer. Whether they are frozen meals or crackers or slices of turkey, these items were designed to have a longer shelf life than what is normal for them.

Preservatives are also used by food manufacturers to block the growth of harmful microorganisms and improve the appearance of the food. Sounds beneficial, right? But what you need to know is that preservatives may increase health risks.

Preservatives can be fairly natural, like salt or sugar, or they can be complex chemicals manufactured in laboratories. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), some of the food preservatives used to protect foods can actually harm humans when eaten in excess.

Is it shocking to learn that the food industry would sell items that could be harmful to us? What is important to remember is that the food industry’s goal is to make products look and taste appealing without thought to the products’ nutritional value.

To help prevent high consumption of preservatives in your diet, it is recommended to eat fresh, whole foods that are cooked by you. If you do choose to buy pre-packaged foods, it is recommended that you read the ingredients on the label and determine if preservatives were used in the packaging.

What are some common preservatives to keep an eye out for?

One commonly used preservative is butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)/ butylated hydroxy anisole (BHA). These are used to preserve common household foods such cereals, chewing gum and potato chips. BHA has been shown to cause tumors in rats, rabbits and hamsters.

And while it has not been scientifically proven to cause tumors in humans, CSPI believes that there is a strong correlation to the same effects in humans when a chemical causes problems in at least three different species.

There is a very strong possibility that these preservatives could also cause tumors in our own bodies if they are frequently found in the foods that we are consuming.

Another preservative is the nitrate and nitrite family.

These preservatives help prevent discoloration in meats and are commonly added to bacon, ham, hot dogs, luncheon meats, smoked fish, and corned beef. Studies have linked eating it to various types of cancer.

After ingestion, your body converts nitrites, into nitrosamines, which is a substance that can cause cancer. Research has linked high dietary consumption of processed meat that has been preserved with nitrites with an increase in the risk of stomach cancer.

In addition, pregnant women are warned by their physicians to remove lunch meat and processed meats from their diets. The reasoning behind this recommendation is that a fetus is too vulnerable to be able to fight off the effects of nitrites.

It makes me wonder if this preservative is dangerous for a fetus, how can it be healthy to consume as a child? Or an adult? It’s not.

All this talk on processed foods and preservatives comes back to the fact that the healthiest and safest diet for us to consume is one that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and food that is cooked by us.

Choose natural ingredients and avoid pre-packaged foods as often as you can. Pretend you are back in the day of Adam and Eve and choose the same foods that they would have access to.

Link

Comment

• envy_me
                    Swedish Love Pump
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Dec 2010

You can't go to McDonalds of all places and expect anything to be healthy. They have to massproduce, which is there already a second class quality.
                    Then, if they are gonna get people to like thier food, they have to fill it with fat and sugar. Fat makes food taste good. The evolution made us like the taste of fat and sugar so that we would eat it which meant get A LOT of calories to survive the conditions we were living in back in the day when we were as a species struggling to survive without much food. That is why high-calorie foods taste good to us. And McDonalds is working that to make money.

And by the way, McDonalds doesn't need more money, buy local, buy from small businesses.

Sorry for the bad structure of text, I had a glass of vino...
                    The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

It's not the fat that's bad...

It's the preservatives and other chemicals...

Comment

• envy_me
                        Swedish Love Pump
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Dec 2010

It's not the fat that's bad...

It's the preservatives and other chemicals...
                        I don't think there is much fat in the oat meal, it's sugar. fat is in everything else.

ALL chemicals aren't bad for you, stop being such a smartass. Do you even know what a chemical is?

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Verily I say unto you, My children, that a good rule to live by is this.....

If Dad and I did not make it, then ye probably should not eat it. Or at least not eat it very often, as thy body was not made to process chemicals, but the natural things made by Us.

Comment

• envy_me
                            Swedish Love Pump
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                            Verily I say unto you, My children, that a good rule to live by is this.....

If Dad and I did not make it, then ye probably should not eat it. Or at least not eat it very often, as thy body was not made to process chemicals, but the natural things made by Us.
                            Come on... You made the best chemical there is. Alcohol We wouldn't have Ford's beercyclopedia if it wasn't for chemicals.
                            Last edited by envy_me; 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by envy_me
                              Come on... You made the best chemical there is. Alcohol We wouldn't have Ford's beercyclopedia if it wasn't for chemicals.
                              Alcohol is fine within moderation. Which is why I made the wine at My cousin's wedding.

Comment

• envy_me
                                Swedish Love Pump
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                                Alcohol is fine within moderation. Which is why I made the wine at My cousin's wedding.
                                I'll drink to that!

Comment

Working...