Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grant
    Sniper
    • Feb 2005

I've been getting back into World War II alot lately in the last few years.

A mate's lent me The Moscow Option by David Dowling, one of those "what-if" accounts dealing with obviously the Eastern Front. I never really delve into fictional stuff, even if it's historically related, but this one looks like it'll be heaps of fun.

I also plan to read the late William Manchester's third instalment of Churchill biography, The Last Lion: Defender Of The Realm with Paul Reid which has been more than 20 years in the making...

Comment

• Angel
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Per usual, I'm reading textbooks and scripts. Another 21 months before I'll be reading anything for pleasure, lol
      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Zing!
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

So Barnes & Noble has Ace's bio in the bargain bin for $6.98 and Vince Neil's bio for $4.98. Are either of them worth it? I'm thinking of getting Ace's just for some fun summertime reading.
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zing!
          so barnes & noble has ace's bio in the bargain bin for $6.98 and vince neil's bio for $4.98. Are either of them worth it? I'm thinking of getting ace's just for some fun summertime reading.
          ace diamond?
          Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM. Reason: boobs
          Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

Picked up 3 books today....going back on the road this week for work...need sumthin' for the down time...

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

Just finished the chimp paradox , been reading a lot of that sort of stuff recently and it was better than most .
              Pretty routine reading amongst sports people nowadays .

Do you sabotage your own happiness and success? Are you struggling to make sense of yourself? Do your emotions sometimes dictate your life? The Chimp Paradox is an incredibly powerful mind management model that can help you become a happy, confident, healthier and more successful person. Prof Steve Peters explains the struggle that takes place within your mind and then shows how to apply this understanding to every area of your life so you can: - Recognise how your mind is working - Understand and manage your emotions and thoughts - Manage yourself and become the person you would like to be The Chimp Mind Management Model is based on scientific facts and principles, which have been simplified into a workable model for easy use. It will help you to develop yourself and give you the skills, for example, to remove anxiety, have confidence and choose your emotions. The book will do this by giving you an understanding of the way in which your mind works and how you can manage it. It will also help you to identify what is holding you back or preventing you from having a happier and more successful life. Each chapter explains different aspects of how you function and highlights key facts for you to understand. There are also exercises for you to work with. By undertaking these exercises you will see immediate improvements in your daily living and, over time, you will develop emotional skills and practical habits that will help you to become the person that you want to be, and live the life that you want to live.
              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2009

I am in the process of rereading the Christopher Snow books by Dean Koontz, I couldn't even tell you why I find them so fascinating but I sure do. Still waiting for the third one to be released.

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
                  I am in the process of rereading the Christopher Snow books by Dean Koontz, I couldn't even tell you why I find them so fascinating but I sure do. Still waiting for the third one to be released.
                  Koontz drives me batshit at times. Here we are waiting for the third book since sometime in the late 1990s, to no avail. He did the same thing with the Odd Thomas series, and in fact it seems the last two were in reality one book cut into two novels. Then he'll wait around for four years or so and craft another installment. The latest (Deeply Odd) was supposed to come out early early last month, yet never appeared.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• envy_me
                    Swedish Love Pump
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Dec 2010

I just finnished The Age Of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. It has gotten great reviews. It wasn't as good as I expected. It was good. A good, average book. Boring sometimes, more interesting at times... It was okey.
                    The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• envy_me
                      Swedish Love Pump
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
                      What are the books about? What do you find so fascinating about them?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan.

Laugh tears all the way.

Comment

• Coyote
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

"Atlas Shrugged"... Again...

Along with "Think & Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill...
                          Last edited by Coyote; 06-19-2013, 09:04 AM.
                          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• envy_me
                            Swedish Love Pump
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Dec 2010

I have just started with a book by Silvia Avallone. It's not translated to english yet, I think it's in process, so there is no name for it, but it's called Steel here. From what I've read in reviews it seems to be a lot about life of Italian working class.
                            This is a summary translated by google

The best friends Anna and Francesca are growing up in a rundown housing complex in the Tuscan coastal town of Piombino. In the horizon a glimpse of Elba, but at Via Stalingrado it around the steel mill life moves. The girls are thirteen, about to step into the adult world and are hot items for men and boys gazing. They are princesses in a dilapidated kingdom and dream of a life together far away from the parents and the steelworks. Anna has big plans for her life, she is going to study and become a judge or a politician. Francesca dreams of becoming velina*, working on TV or become a model.

Steel is a touching story of two young girls' friendship and how together they meet the demands and expectations. It also gives the novel a grand contemporary picture of life in Italy's back.

*Velinas are the pretty girls that are sort of assistents to those often Berlusconi-looking male presenters on TV shows.
                            Last edited by envy_me; 06-19-2013, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jul 2010

As of yesterday , I just finished reading " Watch You Bleed - The Saga Of Guns N' Roses " by reknowned rock biographer Stephen Davis . Last week , I read Steven Adlers book , the title escapes me at the moment . Both very good and very informative books . A LOT of major dirt in both . I came away from both books pretty much convinced of what I had already suspected , or should I say - What we all already knew : Yes - Gargantuan amounts of sex , drugs and alcohol fueled and inspired this band , especially drummer Steven Adler - that's a big No Shit . Those ingredients also damaged that band , once again especially drummer Steven Adler .
                              Here is what I truly suspected all along : Axl Rose is a seriously dysfunctional and delusional individual - A true Napoleonite if there ever was one . Talk about a selfish and egotistical twat . He incrementally dismantled and basically ruined America's last great hard rock band . Guns N' Roses is a pale and sorry shadow of its former self no thanx to this idiot .
                              It was interesting to read two different accounts of the same stories ala G-N-R ( Axl ) vs. Steven Adler .
                              Great read , cool pictures , even cooler stories .

Comment

Working...