Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Mars Mission's Fate Rests on Landing

Mars Mission's Fate Rests on Landing

August 5, 2012 1:00 pm

By KENNETH CHANG / The New York Times

PASADENA, Calif. -- The future of NASA's exploration of Mars now comes down to a struggle between gravity and a half-million lines of computer code.

Currently snug in an interplanetary spacecraft, the plutonium-powered rover called Curiosity will end its eight-and-a-half-month journey from Earth on Sunday, plowing into the Martian atmosphere at 13,000 miles per hour in a burst of fire.

When that happens, control over the $2.5 billion mission will transfer to the onboard computer, which must slow the car-sized Curiosity and execute a series of intricate maneuvers to lower it to the ground.

Because of a 14-minute communications gap between the two planets, scientists on Earth will be mere spectators. Landing was scheduled to occur at 10:31 p.m. Sunday here in Pasadena, though officials warned that confirmation of a successful touchdown could take several hours or even days.

Failure could set back American-led Mars explorations for years.
    Because of tightening budgets, NASA has already pulled out of collaborations with the European Space Agency planned for 2016 and 2018. The space agency is now contemplating what alternative missions it can fly on its own to Mars in 2018 -- but nothing nearly as ambitious or expensive as Curiosity.

If Curiosity fails, NASA would have to start over.

Doug McCuistion, the Mars exploration program director, said NASA would persist as it had following earlier Mars failures. After the loss of two Mars spacecraft in 1999, NASA then built and landed two highly successful rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, in 2004.

"We'll pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off," Mr. McCuistion said at a news conference on Saturday.

"This will not be the end."

At landing time, two NASA craft, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and Mars Odyssey, will be passing close overhead, with Odyssey relaying transmissions to Earth.
    But the landing could pass without word from Curiosity.

"It doesn't necessarily mean something bad has happened," said Richard Cook, the deputy project manager.

If the landing succeeds, the first black-and-white photographs could be beamed back on Monday.
    Over the first week, Curiosity is to deploy its main antenna, raise a mast containing cameras, a rock-vaporizing laser and other instruments, and take its first 360-degree panorama shot of its surroundings.

NASA will spend the first month checking out Curiosity. Mr. Cook said the first drive could occur early next month. The rover would not scoop its first sample of Martian soil until mid-September at the earliest, and the first drilling into rock would occur in October or November, he said.

Michael Schwirtz contributed reporting from New York.
  • clarathecarrot
    Full Member Status

• May 2010

Dear NASA,

Send robots there is nothing there.
    To risky for humans unless you can cut the journey to two weeks.

Thankyou,
    Everyone
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Funny, all the press I am seeing about this takes great pains to point out there is no actual evidence of life on Mars.

NASA has taken great pains to hide a LOT of stuff from the public about the Moon and Mars.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I miss the space race. We hardly have a space program now. The bankers and their political cronies are robbing everything. We should pass a law that bankers should get a lashing for every dollar they have stollen. That would make them think twice before stealing anything.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• fraroc
          Commando
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          I miss the space race. We hardly have a space program now. The bankers and their political cronies are robbing everything. We should pass a law that bankers should get a lashing for every dollar they have stollen. That would make them think twice before stealing anything.
          Well, if you want to get techincal. Back in the 50s and 60s, people predicted that by the 2000s, new technology would sprout in travel, why do you think sci-fi movies from that period had flying cars and the sort? Instead, technology REALLY sprouted in communication and personal electronics. Cell phones are smaller than ever, they do much more that call people, TV sets are virtually 2D now, Video Games are now basically playable movies....

Somehow I think the reason why we don't have a space race is because of all the technological advances in communication as opposed to travel.
          How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Hardrock69
            Funny, all the press I am seeing about this takes great pains to point out there is no actual evidence of life on Mars.

NASA has taken great pains to hide a LOT of stuff from the public about the Moon and Mars.
            Really?

I get the impression it's the exact opposite.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

This mission seems like a scary gamble.

$2.5 billion and to get a couple of tons to land unmanned seems ridiculously complicated and risky.

There are all sorts of stages trying to get the thing safely from 13000 mph to 1.5 mph.

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                This mission seems like a scary gamble.

$2.5 billion and to get a couple of tons to land unmanned seems ridiculously complicated and risky.

There are all sorts of stages trying to get the thing safely from 13000 mph to 1.5 mph.

Using retro-rockets and a winch to lower the rover to the surface seems overly complicated and more opportunity for failures.

Why not deploy a huge balloon around 6 miles altitude to allow a slow and safe landing?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Seems nuts to me, hope it works.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

That's gonna be the biggest 7-minute white-knuckle session at NASA headquarters in recent memory....hope it works, too~!
                    Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Or you could just land a damn lunar module and have an unmanned vehicle pop out a hatch with explosive bolts, then roll down a ramp. How hard is that?

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Speaking of the future, WHERE'S MY FUCKIN' HOVERBOARD?!?!

Comment

• Dan
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

They Can Do It.
                          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
                            Well, if you want to get techincal. Back in the 50s and 60s, people predicted that by the 2000s, new technology would sprout in travel, why do you think sci-fi movies from that period had flying cars and the sort? Instead, technology REALLY sprouted in communication and personal electronics. Cell phones are smaller than ever, they do much more that call people, TV sets are virtually 2D now, Video Games are now basically playable movies....

Somehow I think the reason why we don't have a space race is because of all the technological advances in communication as opposed to travel.
                            Yeah but I'm flying to Singapore in a few days. I'm going to be spending around 15 hours on an airplane. It's 2012. I sould be able to beam there.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

NASA got the whole "feet vs. meters" thing worked out first, right?

Sometimes I get the feeling they get their ideas from Wile E Coyote and ACME
                              Originally posted by Kristy
                              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                              Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...