X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
    I know i am looking forward to hearing that one,You will have to share your idea with me because i have no clue.

This news will please you greatly

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...ct-cumberbatch
    Thanks for the heads-up, and check your PM box.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Angel
      I don't watch much tv anymore, but I do admit to being a Coronation Street junkie. It's a British soap opera that's been airing since 1960. Real characters and some phenominal actors. Not at all like US soaps...
      Coronation street is the reason I go to the pub ... Its pavlovian I hear the theme off I go
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Angel
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
        Coronation street is the reason I go to the pub ... Its pavlovian I hear the theme off I go
        Rovers Return?
        "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• envy_me
          Swedish Love Pump
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Dec 2010

We had Coronation Street here for a very short while.

I have been watching Emmerdale since I was like 12. Not regulary all these years, now I only watch if I have a day off.
          I perfer english soapoperas over american. Americans are so pretentious, everybody is gorgeous and perfect. I like people who look like humans and act like humans.

To illustrate what I mean:

Here are some people from american shows:

Here are some people from Emmerdale:

Last edited by envy_me; 03-18-2013, 04:13 PM.
          The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• envy_me
            Swedish Love Pump
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by envy_me
            Hey, you are from GB, you guys used to have this amazing show called Yes Minister. It was so good!! Have you ever seen it?
            it's a political satire. A comedy. It was the favorite TV show of Margaret Tatcher.

One of my favorite quotes about what a politician means when he says:

"'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

And some others

"Asking a town hall to slim down its staff is like asking an alcoholic to blow up a distillery."

"Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement."

"The surprising things about academics is not that they have their price, but how low that price is."

"If you are not happy with Minister's decision there is no need to argue him out of it. Accept it warmly, and then suggested he leaves it to you to work out the details."

"The first rule of politics: never believe anything until it's been officially denied."

"If you do not want Cabinet to spend too long discussing something, make it last on the agenda before lunch."

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless."

"The Queen is inseparable from the Church of England. God is an optional extra."

"If people don't know what you're doing, they don't know what you're doing wrong."

How sad that all we have now is crap like How I Met Your Mother

This is still one of the best shows ever

Comment

• Grant
              Sniper
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              There was a followup called Yes Prime Minister as well.

When you watch them the disturbing thing is just how little has changed in the last 25 years. There was one on the pointlessness of the UK having nuclear weapons and every argument was the exact same as today.

They did a remake last year of Yes Minister with a new cast and new scripts.

It was ok but not brilliant.
              You mean this one, don't you.

The best episode is where they all go to Middle East (Qumran?) and set-up the secret Scotch room to avoid the agonising grumble of 5 hours of orange juice.

I only just saw the Yes Prime Minister stage play at the Opera House few weeks ago. At least it had a bit of cred going being written by it's original creators, Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn. It's sad how the only ones left from that show are Bernard, Sir Arnold, and Sir Frank (Treasury).

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Grant

More this one

They extended the stage play you saw into a short series.

Comment

• Angel
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

The best episode is where they all go to Middle East (Qumran?) and set-up the secret Scotch room to avoid the agonising grumble of 5 hours of orange juice.

I only just saw the Yes Prime Minister stage play at the Opera House few weeks ago. At least it had a bit of cred going being written by it's original creators, Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn. It's sad how the only ones left from that show are Bernard, Sir Arnold, and Sir Frank (Treasury).
                  Hmmm. Must check out that script! Our blue hairs love British comedies.
                  "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Grant
                    Sniper
                    • Feb 2005

They extended the stage play you saw into a short series.
                    Unfortunately for us, we had some home-grown actors playing the roles (with English accents). The PM was more Basil Fawlty than Jim Hacker. And Sir Humphrey, sadly, embodied none of the smooth wit. A fine proper British cast would've done it far more justice.

Comment

• Grant
                      Sniper
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Angel
                      Hmmm. Must check out that script! Our blue hairs love British comedies.
                      If you love political satire, then it's a must!

You'll probably also like another British comedy show called DOC MARTIN with Martin Clunes, if you haven't already seen it. The premise being an Asperger's top-London surgeon develops a fear of a blood and therefore retrains as a GP, and then takes a post at a cosy seaside town where the folk are all laid back, and so he just manages to piss them all off (including patients in the rooms) with his offhanded manner. Oh, and there is a romantic chemistry between him and a lovely schoolteacher but who otherwise also finds him unbearable...

Comment

• Headly1984
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jul 2011

Well - been watching Dancing with the (supposed)Stars tonight - the g/f likes it - Castle is on afterward, so it is a compromise lol!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I obviously can't comment on Swedish TV but I completely disagree with the whole premise of this thread.

I think this is an absolute golden age of TV especially all the amazing series coming out of the States at the moment.

There are at least half a dozen that I am repeatedly told are brilliant that I just haven't had time to watch like Wired, Breakin Bad, Dexter and whatever. There is also some good stuff coming from the UK like Sherlock and even some Danish dramas like Borgen that again are getting amazing reviews.

Of course there is a lot of shit around too but nowadays technology allows you to avoid it. In the olden times if you had a couple of hours free to watch TV you would sit down and see what was on. Now you go and watch 2 hours of the stuff you have recorded already or stream it on demand.

Comment

• envy_me
                            Swedish Love Pump
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Dec 2010

I obviously can't comment on Swedish TV but I completely disagree with the whole premise of this thread.

I think this is an absolute golden age of TV especially all the amazing series coming out of the States at the moment.

There are at least half a dozen that I am repeatedly told are brilliant that I just haven't had time to watch like Wired, Breakin Bad, Dexter and whatever. There is also some good stuff coming from the UK like Sherlock and even some Danish dramas like Borgen that again are getting amazing reviews.

Of course there is a lot of shit around too but nowadays technology allows you to avoid it. In the olden times if you had a couple of hours free to watch TV you would sit down and see what was on. Now you go and watch 2 hours of the stuff you have recorded already or stream it on demand.

I couldn't disagree more.

I am now talking about daytime tv. For example, right now I have to choose from: Seventh Heaven, Hells Kitchen USA, Stargate, some reruns, X factor US, Real Housewives of Atlanta, Days of Our Lives...

I just caught some Atlanta Housewives. I have never seen such trashy people. Even their names are trashy. Kroy??? Apollo?? What kind of name is Kroy? God they make me sick. Coming up Top Model. I'd rather fuck a sock then watch Top Model. All these reality shows make me sick. Just cause they testify where we are as a society.

I like Mad Men though. It isn't shown that often. And I avoid shows that I have to follow from week to week. Makes me feel trapped and claustrophobic.

I watch TV during the day when I'm sick or tired. So a perfect show for daytime TV is something easy going, that doesn't require too much effort, but at the same time isn't annoying in any way.

Comment

• envy_me
                              Swedish Love Pump
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Dec 2010

Unfortunately for us, we had some home-grown actors playing the roles (with English accents). The PM was more Basil Fawlty than Jim Hacker. And Sir Humphrey, sadly, embodied none of the smooth wit. A fine proper British cast would've done it far more justice.
                              One of my favorite episodes is the one with the empty hospital A new hospital that isn't operational cause by the time all administators were hired, there was no money to hire the medical staff. So bureaucrats keep working running a hospital with no medical staff or patients. "It's one of the best run hospitals in the country"

This is fantastic

Comment

• envy_me
                                Swedish Love Pump
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Dec 2010

Comment

Working...