X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I'm not convinced the Bible is the word of the creator of the universe or it was even written by true believers. It's quite possible some wise men thousands of years ago decided to invent religion to try to keep people in line and wrote whatever morphed into the Bible as it is today. But I don't see why it's so aggravating to atheists that people want to believe something they don't believe. I'm an agnostic. It doesn't bother me that you believe what you believe yet it somehow bothers you everybody else doesn't agree with you. If there is a supreme being I'd assume you'd get on his good side by being a decent human being not killing other people or going to church one day and being an asshole the other six days every week. I've had too many incidents in my life where I should have been killed, maimed or busted but I wasn't that make me think there might be someone or something looking out for me from somewhere. If you just call that being lucky you still believe there's something more to our existence than life and death.
    I love the bible. It does give some good advice. Treating others like how you want to be treated is a good moral foundation. But if I want to take revenge, I can use the bible to justify it. Use a little license and creativity, you can justify anything with the bible.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
      Shave?

I'm getting tired of fixing all your grammatical mistakes.
      Hush...

The fag is trying to get a Master's Degree...

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        I love the bible. It does give some good advice. Treating others like how you want to be treated is a good moral foundation.
        No it's not.

What if they don't want to be treated how you like being treated?

What if someone is a homosexual Sammy Hagar fan does that mean it's moral for him to fuck you in the ass while playing Dreams?

It's a justification rule book to allow people to do shitty things to other people without having to feel guilty about it.

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          Well, that certainly clarifies the picture. Not a good future to contemplate for anybody, let alone someone already dealing with severe depression. Perhaps he should have called Michael J. Fox?

I watched two grandparents die from Parkinsons. As shitty luck would have it, they would happen to be the two who were once married to each other. So while there's not a definite hereditary link established yet to Parkinsons, my 73 year old mother is understandably concerned about that possibility, as am I. If I was diagnosed with that shit, I'm not going to say it wouldn't cross my mind to go out on my own terms.
          It seems some people view life as a half full glass and other view it as a half empty glass. I think the difference is some view life as a challenge. I think Michael J Fox is such a person. They just seem to go on regardless of how much baggage they get saddled with. Robin Williams seemed to be the glass is half empty type.

I had one grandmother who was crippled with polio but she was always glad to see you and always fascinated with life. She read a lot and was always up on things. My other grandmother was in perfect health but always negative and miserable. She had money. A nice home. Always looked nice but you could tell. She never was that happy and always paranoid of something.

I think it's a person's attitude more than anything. Some people can do so much with so much shit in their lives and other's can't do anything when they have so little in their way. The biggest thing in their way is themselves.
          Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-14-2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            No it's not.

What if they don't want to be treated how you like being treated?

What if someone is a homosexual Sammy Hagar fan does that mean it's moral for him to fuck you in the ass while playing Dreams?

It's a justification rule book to allow people to do shitty things to other people without having to feel guilty about it.

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)
            LOL! Hey. Constantine needed some scripture. If you can't wipe out the christians, exploit them. Constantine's way created more wealth and power than Nero had even dreamed of. The bible is a product of Rome. I'm sure the turn the other cheek bit didn't find itself there by accident.

This guy would fuck you up the ass without a reach around.
            Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-14-2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• cadaverdog
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Aug 2007

That's how you percieve it because people use it like that. Cars weren't invented to run people over and kill them but it doesn't stop people from doing it if that's what they want to do. Doesn't atheism give some people the excuse to do shitty things to other people without regret too?
              Beware of Dog

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                LOL! Hey. Constantine needed some scripture. If you can't wipe out the christians, exploit them. Constantine's way created more wealth and power than Nero had even dreamed of. The bible is a product of Rome. I'm sure the turn the other cheek bit didn't find itself there by accident.
                Classic example is
                'And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marveled at him.'

They marvelled at the fucking nerve of Constantine sticking in a bit about Jesus saying give money to the dictator 300 years later.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Robin Williams commits Suicide

That's how you percieve it because people use it like that. Cars weren't invented to run people over and kill them but it doesn't stop people from doing it if that's what they want to do. Doesn't atheism give some people the excuse to do shitty things to other people without regret too?
                  No it does neither one nor the other.

Like the car in your example.

You just made my point for me.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

You can spin anything. The thing is, I'm more concerned with how a person behaves than what they believe in. Right now it seems like there has been an explosion of people who want to shove their lifestyle in your face. Interesting enough it seems to come mostly from the groups that used to champion free speech about 35 years ago. Now they have become just as bad as the people they were rebelling against. There seems to be a cycle. Hell. Everyone wants power.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Classic example is
                      'And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marveled at him.'

They marvelled at the fucking nerve of Constantine sticking in a bit about Jesus saying give money to the dictator 300 years later.
                      The romans didn't care what you worshiped. They were more concerned with you paying taxes and not causing trouble.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

The thing is you will never get rid of religion unless of course you want a dictatorship that gets rid of it. Look at the Russians. They were under atheist communism for 80 years and now they are running back to the church. They are building 200 new church's in Moscow to meet the demand.

There is always going to be religion. People want it.

As long as I'm not forced to join and there is a separation of church and state, I have no problem. I would rather have people have the freedom to pursue what they want even if I don't agree with it than to have some centralized planning committee dictate how everyone should live. Freedom of choice is always messy but it's fun.
                        Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-14-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Education is improving things is most 1st world countries at least but yeah we are stuck with it worldwide for our lifetimes at least.

Even in the US there has been a huge rise in the non religious, especially among the young.

I'd say about 10% of the people I know attend church.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

I like going to church.
                            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah well we know why you go there...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Yeah well we know why you go there...
                                I do believe you're implying something rude...

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Working...