X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VetteLS5
    Commando
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by chefcraig
    Yeah, plus it's a great time for beer, clams and tacos...
    It is always a good time for beer and clams. Tacos? Meh.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VetteLS5
      It is always a good time for beer and clams. Tacos? Meh.
      Oops, I forgot the steamed oysters w/drawn butter...fuck it, why stop there? How about a clam bake with lobster, oysters, clams, shrimp, corn, potatoes, churico sausage bits and a fresh French bread roll?

And yes, plenty of beer for all, with the clam sauce supped up with the French bread for a breather, before vanilla speck ice cream cones for dessert. Yer choice of toppings...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

so fucking hungry now
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
          so fucking hungry now
          Have a Snickers. It might make you feel less like Robin Williams.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            I have legitimate reasons for not taking over, leave it at that.

JHale and Lounge have stayed away for the vast majority of time, they only post every now and then. I would also include Kwame in that category as well.

And yes, those two were effectively forced out IMO.
            Kinda addressing a few other posts combined with yours, Va!

My staying away really had nothing to do with Jay and Lounge being attacked...........they're big boys and could handle themselves. I thought it was absolutely beyond decency invading people's businesses and personal lives or going full on racist and said so but neither one asked me ever to come and defend them, for the record.

Going after Dale's family was a bigger reason.
            People taunting Angel when she was going through that horrible time with family issues! That level of meanness and then the thread where people were posting actual real life suicide pictures taunting someone.........those three things combined really did it.

No drugs, alcohol, blackouts, personal grudges or jilted love can justify the levels that a bunch of people sunk to here.........they were always those type of people inside and the booze or anger just brought it out. Not really the type of people you want to hang with in your off time.

Those people are more to blame for people leaving here then the mods!

As far as Sesh or any mod is concerned..........we made our peace and things are back to the way they always were with us.

The irony is hilarious, though. Sesh replaces the original lead singer of this site and sites jump up all over the place bemoaning the loss of the original lead singer and how the band was so much better with Sarge at the helm

No matter what you do Sesh or have done, that will always be the case. Shitty deal but..........

Originally posted by Sarge
            ................Also, Roth is no longer the underdog. He is back with Van Halen. That was much of the allure of this website.........

........Facebook... etc are partially to blame.................
            Yeah, what united us was rallying around Dave and hating Spammy!

The site got a second life and was cooking when Dave got back and all the perks we were getting from DDE. A new album and a comeback tour kept this place going for awhile but now that they're pretty much content to be an oldies act and releasing live albums from the last fucking tour instead of the glory years, took a ton of steam out of the engine. I agree 100%!

FB is what killed the site, though.

30 or so of the longtime members here and I still stay in touch through FB. It's convenient, it's private and it just seems easier without having to worry about privacy issues or personal attacks on family or businesses.

You can choose who you want to deal with as opposed to an open forum.

Add in all the good and legendary trolls are gone and that was half the fun........logging in after work to see what bizarre and creepy things Katy or whoever was posting. There were some strange ass fuckers here and the flame wars were funnier. It used to be you won the argument through humor and not rancor for the most part but things did get nasty here then so it's not a new phenomenon, just seemed different and more vile the last round.

I still post here and will continue to when the mood strikes! Just not a highlight of my day like it used to be.

I wouldn't say I was ran off, just a combination of things kinda put me off..........real life is partly to blame, too.

Once I stayed away it just got easier to continue to stay away.

Things change and people move on.........That's Life
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
              The trick is to fire a single shot around page 1 or 2 then rarely look back.
              Pretty much sums up C-Dog's career here.

Post it and forget you even posted it
              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by kwame k
                Going after Dale's family was a bigger reason.
                People taunting Angel when she was going through that horrible time with family issues! That level of meanness and then the thread where people were posting actual real life suicide pictures taunting someone.........those three things combined really did it.

I would prefer any of those to being called the Sammy Hagar of websites, go fuck yourself.

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

I blame Sesh. Now what's the topic?
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

If Sesh is the Spammy of the site.........does that make Va the Mitch Malloy of the site?

Discuss

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

On those three things the behavior was shocking but that's an open forum for you.

The suicide pics were deleted as soon as they were noticed, there is a thread somewhere about the Dale thing where I think we ended up coming to an understanding about the why and wherefore on that in that there was a delay in confirming if the pics were real or not.

Angel I hope remains an eFriend of me on here and a regular poster. I think it's always a dangerous route to take offence of behalf of someone else.

All that said I totally agree the atmosphere was sour and I think crossed the line many times and some people should be ashamed of the crap they were pulling particularly because it was predicated on very little. Where we may depart is in whether any of that was due to a site management issue.

Let me put it this way if 1 is a really strictly run church group forum, 4 is the VH Links and 10 is rotten.com then the Roth Army as a forum was always at least an 8.

Back in the day in the early 2000s there were posts like where member #2 Hitch posted a map to a female moderators house saying he was going to go there and fucking kill her because he mistakenly thought she had move his post from the Main forum to another one. This was not edited and no sanction was taken.

I say this to get things in proportion about this fictitious golden age of loveliness which is legendary to a lot of the people who just weren't here then.

I get times change and shifted things a to a lower number on my scale but not a whole lot lower. Sarge I'm sure remains at a higher number as does Von. If you want to talk irony my perception and feedback from chats is that Von reflects the Sarge approach much closer than I do which is part of the reason I went to him.

The other great irony of course is that the 'rebel' site(s) when they were set up quickly moved to a position lower on the scale than here.

Bottom line is that I'm just the landlord of a free hall that only costs money with no admission fee. I'm only here to protect the 1.5 million posts and allow some folk to meet up and post freely.

If someone can convince me they will do the same without being a dick they can have it.

This isn't a poor me post but how come Brentt at VH Links gets to shake down his members each year with a threat of closure if he doesn't get $4k in donations and over here someone feels it ok to have a go about a single advert for t-shirts which if anyone buys goes to Sarge as he is stuck with a bunch of them.

I mean seriously...
                        Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-04-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          Look...Lounge, J, kwame and me are friends, yet I do recall an unprecedented series of attacks on J. Racist comments and unfair assumptions.

Sorry, but that shit don't flow, cowboys. Non of the sentiments were sent with a hope of humor, they were ultimately mean spirited and vulgar.

hale does not deserve that, nor anyone else hanging at this site. OK, be mean, make jokes...whatever. But going after a person's bloodline does not exactly help define your own credibility when it comes to critiquing the dude's artifice.
                          Yep, it's like I said earlier..........battles were won with humor and not vile rancor!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister

This isn't a poor me post but how come Brentt at VH Links gets to shake down his members each year with a threat of closure if he doesn't get $4k in donations and over here someone feels it ok to have a go about a single advert for t-shirts which if anyone buys goes to Sarge as he is stuck with a bunch of them.

I mean seriously...
                            it just hurts the eyes after so long i'll buy the rest... 142 smalls and a large left?
                            Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                              it just hurts the eyes after so long i'll buy the rest... 142 smalls and a large left?
                              I believe that the XXLs sold out years ago and he has boxes full of female and not F A T.

Comment

• kwame k
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                On those three things the behavior was shocking but that's an open forum for you.

The suicide pics were deleted as soon as they were noticed, there is a thread somewhere about the Dale thing where I think we ended up coming to an understanding about the why and wherefore on that in that there was a delay in confirming if the pics were real or not.
                                We talked about this awhile back and seeing it from your side after you explained some things prompted an apology from me. Things were just so damn vile here that unless you and the rest of the mods stayed logged on 24/7 it was impossible to keep up.

That's why I blame the people who posted that shit and not the mods!

Angel I hope remains an eFriend of me on here. I think it's always a dangerous route to take offence of behalf of someone else.
                                Angel's doing great, BTW.

I was offended personally..........it was more like,

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew;
                                Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak out for me.

All that said I totally agree the atmosphere was sour and I think crossed the line many times and some people should be ashamed of the crap they were pulling particularly because it was predicated on very little. Where we may depart is in whether any of that was due to a site management issue.
                                That's it exactly........those people turned more people away than anything management did!

Should they of been banned? No........Flappo for sure and of course people like Gar should be but if that's the type of person you truly are the issue is that person not the board.

Let me put it this way if 1 is a really strictly run church group forum, 4 is the VH Links and 10 is rotten.com then the Roth Army as a forum was always at least an 8.

Back in the day in the early 2000s there were posts like where member #2 Hitch posted a map to a female moderators house saying he was going to go there and fucking kill her because he mistakenly thought she had move his post from the Main forum to another one. This was not edited and no sanction was taken.

I say this to get things in proportion about this fictitious golden age of loveliness which is legendary to a lot of the people who just weren't here then.
                                I agree.........worse things have been done here, that's what I said in my post. The golden era wasn't as warm and fuzzy as people believe.

I get times change and shifted things a to a lower number on my scale but not a whole lot lower. Sarge I'm sure remains at a higher number as does Von. If you want to talk irony my perception and feedback from chats is that Von reflects the Sarge approach much closer than I do which is part of the reason I went to him.
                                Now with social networking this site will never be what it once was! There was a time that other than a telephone this was the only way to communicate with random people from around the world!

The other great irony of course is that the 'rebel' site(s) when they were set up quickly moved to a position lower on the scale than here.
                                How many failed attempts over the years has the Army endured? It's still here while 90% of the other ones are gone!

Bottom line is that I'm just the landlord of a free hall that only costs money with no admission fee. I'm only here to protect the 1.5 million posts and allow some folk to meet up without shit.
                                For that I'm personally grateful............sure things might of been handled better here during the last crisis but that happens with a ton of shit in real life.

I'd do stuff differently, in hindsight.........we all would. Everything from buying a certain brand appliance, running shoes and so on.

The site for a long time now has been running great or at least it seems to whenever I check in.........even when the reunion happened there were a ton of long time members that didn't even show up for that! The last crisis may have drove some off but I think the bulk of people just connect on FB or other social networks.

If someone can convince me they will do the same without being a dick they can have it.
                                They'd just become the Gary Cherone of the site and it wouldn't drive back any more members, IMHO!

Comment

Working...