Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

When points can't be gained...reframe the argument...love it.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
      When points can't be gained...reframe the argument...love it.
      I'm really not sure what you mean.

Comment

• Big Train
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Well, posters are arguing about Clinton's service vs. W's (Militarily), essentially saying Clinton never served. Angel comes in and swerves with "Doesn't the presidency count?", thus reframing the scope of the argument. Which is what I found amusing...

You could argue you are "broadening" the scope of the discussion, but I see it as a swerve.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I don't think she meant to swerve as much as she didn't know we were talking about strictly military service, though Clinton's tenure as Commander and Chief might or might not technically count.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by b1c2
            This got me thinking about something- why are the type of men that run from serving their country now in charge of it? Seriously...neither Clinton nor W did what I consider the best thing for their country when they had the chance to. Is it because both of them were spoiled boys that want to be at the top but don't want to do the work to get them there? Are they just so accustomed to getting around the loopholes of life because of who they are that it doesn't occur to them that they're being treated specially? If so, why is America electing them? Because there isn't anyone better? Why aren't we insisting more from our elected officials? Should you have to have been in the military to be commander-in-chief?
            I don't believe that it should be a requirement, because the obvious extention of that thought would be that war is perpetually neccessary in order to create leaders. And that of course would be complete bullshit.

FDR never wore a uniform himself, but he was certainly a more than capable Commander in Chief during the most serious war of the past century.

A better question related to what you asked above, is why a deserter like Bush Jr can get away with shitting all over not one, or even two, but three Vietnam Vets who ran against him. McCain, Gore, and Kerry were all Vietnam veterans and whatever else you may think of any or all of them, the fact is that they put their asses on the line while Poppy was protecting Junior's through his connections.

To downplay military service would be one thing. To exploit it and make it a negative, as the Bush campaign did in both 2000 and 2004 is completely inexcuseable,

And the BCE also backed neocon candidate Saxby Chambliss in Georgia in 2002, who used a similar smear campaign on Senator Max Cleland, a man who literally left half his body in Vietnam.

While the Vietnam war itself was a horrible mistake (only recently topped by a even worse one) there should be no tolerance whatsoever for anyone shitting all over a veteran's service to this country.

Especially not by a loathesome piece of shit deserter whose grandfather funded a genocidal psychopath.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• blueturk
              Veteran
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
              Genius, listen. GW was never an infantryman, correct, but he was a part of our armed forces "For all intents and purposes". As the current commander-in-chief of ALL armed forces of the United States, he is entitled to wear any and all uniforms thereof, "in my opinion".

We are in a war right now. Obviously you are a very literal guy as in "he fought in the trenches at normandy" kinda of guy being the only person who is authorized to use the term "War president". Which is stupid. His use of the term is to literally say "I am a president in a time of war. The war is always on my mind". There is no ambiguity in that statement, it is fact. Your splitting cunthairs and adding interpretations to make a strange argument. That's all I'm saying.

I'm straight...always have been.
              My "strange argument" was explained when I started this thread,and I think I've been fairly direct in my posts.The only "interpretation" I gave was a direct quote from Bush. You on the other hand feel you have to disect the phrase "war president" to defend Dubya.I myself worry about a president who thinks of foreign policy in terms of war first. You don't. So be it.

Comment

• jacksmar
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

“and then essentially abandoned his post in Alabama.”
                That’s what I’m talking about Nick. Didn’t happen. And just like I said to Ford, I’ll take this guys statement over most any day.

There used to be a video but I can't find it anymore.
                Last edited by jacksmar; 12-10-2004, 02:56 PM.
                A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

Working...