over here, americans are 'septics'

septic tank = yank.

fine aussie rhyming slang.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      I would really like to hear the British terms of endearment for Americans.

Alright, then, this is not a personal thing, but a lot of British people call Americans tossers.
      Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
        Alright, then, this is not a personal thing, but a lot of British people call Americans tossers.
        LOL "Septics" & "Tossers" and The world thinks so highly of us!

Does that mean Tosser as in jerking off or "yanking" it?

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Oct 2004

YES.

Would you like to know where THAT comes from.
          Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Of course, of course...

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Oct 2004

This comes from the american wankers that are all over TV and the press, the ones that say;
              "Remember when we had to help you out in WW2?"
              When, let's face it, you wouldn't have done if it was not for Pearl Harbour. Let's not forget all the pride you have-you really do sound like dicks when we hear americans go on about "this country, where our forefathers..." (ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!). Also, the fact that you won't wake up and smell the global warming and use less fossil fuels, plus, your incredibley loud mouths.

But, from american wankers, you get tossers.

And, before you say "not all americans are wankers", you must remember that not all "limeys" were sailors.
              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

This comes from the american wankers that are all over TV and the press, the ones that say;
                "Remember when we had to help you out in WW2?"
                When, let's face it, you wouldn't have done if it was not for Pearl Harbour. Let's not forget all the pride you have-you really do sound like dicks when we hear americans go on about "this country, where our forefathers..." (ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!). Also, the fact that you won't wake up and smell the global warming and use less fossil fuels, plus, your incredibley loud mouths.

But, from american wankers, you get tossers.

And, before you say "not all americans are wankers", you must remember that not all "limeys" were sailors.
                You're preaching to the choir so to speak.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originially posted by Shaun Ponsonby
                  Remember when we had to help you out in WW2?"
                  When, let's face it, you wouldn't have done if it was not for Pearl Harbour.
                  it's pearl HARBOR. we don't use superfluous "U"s...

seriously, though. question for you: how do british people (in general, of course) think of the U.S.'s aid in WWII?

personally, i think it's pretty clear that the lend-lease program helped a bit; but at the same time, after you limey bastards beat back the luftwaffe, there was little chance of germany actually invading britain.

my own reading is that the british probably couldn't have beaten germany on their own, but that germany could not have conquered you, either.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner

seriously, though. question for you: how do british people (in general, of course) think of the U.S.'s aid in WWII?

personally, i think it's pretty clear that the lend-lease program helped a bit; but at the same time, after you limey bastards beat back the luftwaffe, there was little chance of germany actually invading britain.

my own reading is that the british probably couldn't have beaten germany on their own, but that germany could not have conquered you, either.
                    Well, not after the Krauts invaded the Soviet Union.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Well, not after the Krauts invaded the Soviet Union.
                      True enough, but I've done a hell of a lot of reading on the Eastern Front in WWII. It's my favorite period/theater actually in history, other than Napoleonics and the American Civil War. I'm a military history buff. Anyhoo, much too much is made of the Soviet jugernaut.

The Germans did indeed bite off more than they could chew in 1941, but people don't really know how close they came to conquering the Soviet Union given the resources they had.

When the Red Army finally started its drive westward toward Germany, it took every thing it had to conquer the Krauts. They were pretty well spent come May of 1945 and had sustained horrendous losses, mostly because of commanders who fed their troops into the battle like meat into a meat grinder.

I digress....
                      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                        True enough, but I've done a hell of a lot of reading on the Eastern Front in WWII. It's my favorite period/theater actually in history, other than Napoleonics and the American Civil War. I'm a military history buff. Anyhoo, much too much is made of the Soviet jugernaut.

The Germans did indeed bite off more than they could chew in 1941, but people don't really know how close they came to conquering the Soviet Union given the resources they had.

When the Red Army finally started its drive westward toward Germany, it took every thing it had to conquer the Krauts. They were pretty well spent come May of 1945 and had sustained horrendous losses, mostly because of commanders who fed their troops into the battle like meat into a meat grinder.

I digress....
                        True. I've done a little reading on that theater myself, and it's definitely NOT my favorite one. But it seems the Soviets managed to defeat the Germans despite Stalin's best efforts to the contrary (like executing most of his high command on the eve of war).

But Hitler was a stupid as Stalin, and filled with overconfidence following the Battle for France.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner

You spell it wrong then. It's our language, that's why it's called ENGLISH. You just adopted it and changed it a bit.

As for what we think of WW2.
                          WE DON'T CARE.

It was nearly 70 years ago. Most of us were not even born then. But, it's always from American mouths that we hear it from. A few months ago, I heard it 4 times in one week (Friends/Simpsons/Austin Powers/and I read a letter from somebody in the paper-it must have been the week that Bush was re-elected, because the English papers said how can all those people be so stupid). Get over it. We gave you a language, you gave us a hand.
                          Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• knuckleboner
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

easy, i was kidding...

as for WWII, that's all i was looking for. i was just curious as to how it was viewed. as you might assume, i pretty much only get the viewpoint from this side of the pond. i wasn't expecting or anticipating any specific answer as to how the british viewed things. i just wanted an answer.

thanks.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

You spell it wrong then. It's our language, that's why it's called ENGLISH. You just adopted it and changed it a bit.

As for what we think of WW2.
                              WE DON'T CARE.

It was nearly 70 years ago. Most of us were not even born then. But, it's always from American mouths that we hear it from. A few months ago, I heard it 4 times in one week (Friends/Simpsons/Austin Powers/and I read a letter from somebody in the paper-it must have been the week that Bush was re-elected, because the English papers said how can all those people be so stupid). Get over it. We gave you a language, you gave us a hand.
                              It may be called ENGLISH, but you people don't speak or spell it properly. That goes double for the Scots!

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Oct 2004

No, we invented it, YOU say/spell wrong. We were speaking this langiage before you lot were even discovered.
                                Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

Working...