X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Do you think there is anything in that premium thing?

I've seen tests where it didn't make a bit of difference.
    The extra octane can make a difference under certain driving conditions, in any engine. Last time I took a road trip to Canada, I was running 94 octane up there (which you can't even get on this side of the border) The difference on the highway, especially on the mountain passes, was remarkable.

I would never waste it on regular city driving though, even if I could get it here.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

It's meant to be scary.

If it wasn't for European and Jap tax rates then there wouldn't so much motivation for the car companies to come up with more efficient cars.
      Am I to infer from this post that you really think that the government taxes fuel to help the plannet? The real reason that there is so much tax on fuel, cigs, booze, hell even VAT in general, is because all administrations are too afraid to tax big business more fairly; or, rather, to close the loop holes which allow them to avoid paying tax.
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

You are so cynical for one so young...

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
          The extra octane can make a difference under certain driving conditions, in any engine. Last time I took a road trip to Canada, I was running 94 octane up there (which you can't even get on this side of the border) The difference on the highway, especially on the mountain passes, was remarkable.

I would never waste it on regular city driving though, even if I could get it here.
          Ahh now this all makes sense.

In the UK Regular is 95 and premium is 99!

The reason we don't notice any improvement is that most engines can't take any advantage of more than 95.

I bet some fuck at the gas companies dreamed it up as a way to squeeze a bigger margin out of us after seeing the US model.
          Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-22-2009, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Nah, just spent too much time reading Private Eye
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

The average where I live runs about $2.49/g for the low-grade and $2.74 for the premium. It's slightly more expensive when you venture into the mountains.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Ahh now this all makes sense.

In the UK Regular is 95 and premium is 99!
                regular is 89 here.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I never even noticed in all the hours I've driven in the States and always just got regular like I would at home.

Maybe your cars aren't quite as shitty as I thought...

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Cars here are great!

You can buy 100-105 octane at performance shops, but it's expensive! Almost as much as UK gas...

Ohio has 94 octane premium and a few hi-po stations had 98-99 octane gas, but that was several years ago. I doubt they have it today...

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Well, I blew up the engine in my E320, don't know if running regular was a coincidince or not. The Lexus says use premium, so I do.

This fucking SATURN rental piece a shit go go fucking choke on shit regular. Turning radius is worse than a truck! SCREW Saturns!

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

You can buy 100-105 octane at performance shops, but it's expensive!
                        I knew a guy that used to buy it - runs about $11 for about what, a 6 or 7 ounce bottle?

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          Ohio has 94 octane premium and a few hi-po stations had 98-99 octane gas, but that was several years ago. I doubt they have it today...
                          i know of two that have it.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Do you think there is anything in that premium thing?

I've seen tests where it didn't make a bit of difference.
                            Only if a car calls for it. In the US, that's mostly turbocharged or high performance motors. But I had a Sentra SER SpecV that called for it and it didn't make much of a difference whether I used 87-octane or 93-octane save for maybe a long trip where the 93 did a little better on mileage...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                              regular is 89 here.
                              Regular here is 87, mid is 89 or 91, and 93-octane is the highest regular fuel. Sunoco once sold 94-octane here, but they stopped with the advent of the millenium.

There's a nearby chain that sells 100-octane racing fuel from their pumps for like $8 a gallon. I wouldn't mind trying it. But I think at that point, fuel dilution can become a problem as the higher octane prevents detonation and can put gas in the motor oil.

Comment

• Igosplut
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I have to use 101 aviation fuel (race fuel is too far away) in one of my bikes because of the advent of 10% methanol mix really fucked things like that up. I could mix it, but the compression is high enough to take advantage of it running straight. And boy does it like it, No overheating in traffic, and kick starts better than on non-mixed 94 octane.....
                                Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

Working...