X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cathedral
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I don't see a problem here.
    I got calls out the ass until they turned me down when i was 18.

So what, parents are pissed off that their kids are getting calls from recruiters?
    Last i checked, it was still a volunteer service and everyone still has the right to say, NO THANKS!

As far as personal information goes, they had it all on me in the late 70's so what is different now?

I think the service is a great way to get spoiled kids heads out of their asses and teach them responsibility.
    Of all the friends i have that have served and are serving, it was the one thing they did to get their lives on track, and i needed it just as bad.

It seems to me that parents are just scared of the possible decision their kids will make, but at age 18, it becomes their life to guide and the parents no longer have a voice.

If recruiters were yanking kids off the street and throwing them into a bus headed for boot camp against their will, that's one thing.

But that isn't the case, they can just say No Thanks and persue their own destiny as they wish.

Comment

• Bluto Blutarsky
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Jul 2005

The spoiled kids don't join. I bet the recruiters don't even waste their time with the monied brats. They're after the penniless and desperate for college money demographic. Speaking of profiling.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Bluto Blutarsky
        The spoiled kids don't join. I bet the recruiters don't even waste their time with the monied brats. They're after the penniless and desperate for college money demographic. Speaking of profiling.
        Hello Senator
        Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Cathedral
          I don't see a problem here.
          I got calls out the ass until they turned me down when i was 18.

So what, parents are pissed off that their kids are getting calls from recruiters?
          Last i checked, it was still a volunteer service and everyone still has the right to say, NO THANKS!

As far as personal information goes, they had it all on me in the late 70's so what is different now?

I think the service is a great way to get spoiled kids heads out of their asses and teach them responsibility.
          Of all the friends i have that have served and are serving, it was the one thing they did to get their lives on track, and i needed it just as bad.

It seems to me that parents are just scared of the possible decision their kids will make, but at age 18, it becomes their life to guide and the parents no longer have a voice.

If recruiters were yanking kids off the street and throwing them into a bus headed for boot camp against their will, that's one thing.

But that isn't the case, they can just say No Thanks and persue their own destiny as they wish.
          So you'd be pleased if they pursuaded your daughter to go to Iraq?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
            No power and yeah you can tell them to fuck off.
            True enough, but usually a simple no will do. They have tons of leads to chase.

I've known a few recruiters in my time. Incredible pressure. Deadlines. Quotas. Your career is on the line.

Amazingly enough, these recruiters are on their "easy" duty. That would be shore duty for Navy guys and stateside easy duty for Marines, Army, and Air Force guys.

So much for "Support the Troops" when you tell them to "Fuck Off."
            A month or two later that sergeant you told to go piss off could be dodging bullets in the Sunni Triangle.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Guitar Shark
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Brian I was only answering the specific question asked. I would never actually say that.
              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
              Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                True enough, but usually a simple no will do. They have tons of leads to chase.

I've known a few recruiters in my time. Incredible pressure. Deadlines. Quotas. Your career is on the line.

Amazingly enough, these recruiters are on their "easy" duty. That would be shore duty for Navy guys and stateside easy duty for Marines, Army, and Air Force guys.

So much for "Support the Troops" when you tell them to "Fuck Off."
                A month or two later that sergeant you told to go piss off could be dodging bullets in the Sunni Triangle.

Yeah well, I've known some recruiters that were incredible scumbags, like one thirty-something ARMY SGT. that knocked up the girl he recruited (into the Army Reserve) fresh out of highschool, then used her as his maid and squaw (after getting her thrown out of her house)...

A lot of these guys needed Ethics Training for a reason.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                  Brian I was only answering the specific question asked. I would never actually say that.
                  I didn't think you would.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                    Yeah well, I've known some recruiters that were incredible scumbags, like one thirty-something ARMY SGT. that knocked up the girl he recruited (into the Army Reserve) fresh out of highschool, then used her as his maid and squaw (after getting her thrown out of her house)...

A lot of these guys needed Ethics Training for a reason.
                    OK, the dude was a scumbag. Punish accordingly.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Maybe if the troops were treated decently, had reasonable lengths of tours and weren't used in illegal wars self serving to tiny minority of the rich, then it wouldn't be so hard to find recruits.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        Maybe if the troops were treated decently, had reasonable lengths of tours and weren't used in illegal wars self serving to tiny minority of the rich, then it wouldn't be so hard to find recruits.
                        The bottom line is these people signed contracts that are being broken by the government. These people put their lives on hold and now after having their tours extended, they have nothing to come back to! Job gone, maybe wife gone...

Who would you sign a contract when you can see the same contract is being broken? Only a fool would! Or someone who desperately needs money.

I'm all for recruitment, and I agree with Cat that some people get a hell of a lot out of the armed forces. I also understand what BBB said about the pressure these guys face. It's best to just blame this mess on gw&friends since it's their fault.
                        gnaw on it

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The US has far too many troops and spends way to much on 'defense'.

You need some politicians to have the guts to say that before you end up owned by China.

Comment

• Cathedral
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            So you'd be pleased if they pursuaded your daughter to go to Iraq?
                            I may have been the wrong person to ask that question, Sesh.

I wanted to join real bad when they turned me down, and i've been pissed ever since because it was the end of a family legacy that every generation of my family served in the military.

Neither of my two brothers joined so it fell on me, and it was by choice.

Now as far as my daughter is concerned, she can direct her own life however she chooses.
                            If she wanted to join i certainly wouldn't like the idea, but i'd support HER decision to do so.

We have discussed this too, and right now she has no intentions of joining any service. But she termed it as "I'm not joining any war where i have to hurt people".

That may change, but i can guarentee that she isn't the military type at present.
                            Her friend up the street though, she wants to serve because her Daddy is in Iraq right now.

But, I would support whatever she wants to do with her life.
                            I didn't care for people guiding my life for me so i won't ever do that to her.
                            As long as she is happy with her choices i will be there for her however i possibly can.

What else can i do?
                            I know all too well that kids do the exact opposite of what their parents want them to do, i did.
                            So if i try telling her what to do when she is of legal age that will only push her to rebell.

I won't like it, but i know my place in my childs life and i'll know it when she is old enough to make decisions like this.

Our kids are our children, not our possessions.

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime
                              The bottom line is these people signed contracts that are being broken by the government. These people put their lives on hold and now after having their tours extended, they have nothing to come back to! Job gone, maybe wife gone...

Who would you sign a contract when you can see the same contract is being broken? Only a fool would! Or someone who desperately needs money.

I'm all for recruitment, and I agree with Cat that some people get a hell of a lot out of the armed forces. I also understand what BBB said about the pressure these guys face. It's best to just blame this mess on gw&friends since it's their fault.
                              It's true, some people need the discipline and direction a life of service provides.

It just isn't everyone's cup of tea.

For instance, of all the friends i have that have been and gone from the service, 1 guy didn't have the mustard.

He was a discipline problem from day 1.
                              He couldn't get out of bed in the morning, had to be woken by the Sarge, lol.
                              He was always last in line and a slacker.

He made it through 8 weeks of Basic before they sent him home because he just wasn't a soldier.

But i give the guy a hell of a lot of credit for trying, because he did try very hard to make it.
                              He manages a Burger King today, been divorced twice, 4 kids and a new wife that is a total cunt.

Then there is Chris...
                              Total druggie, stealing shit at night out of cars, sleeping with anything and everything, just a total waste of youth and he had no ambition in life at all.
                              Then he got busted breaking into a car and was faced with a decision the judge gave him to make.
                              5 years for B&E, or join the service.

In one year that boy was transformed into the most disciplined and honorable person i think i have ever met.
                              He's done absolutely awesome since then and he owes it to the service that saved him from who knows what.

It isn't for everyone, but for some it is a life saver.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Cathedral
                                Then there is Chris...
                                Total druggie, stealing shit at night out of cars, sleeping with anything and everything, just a total waste of youth and he had no ambition in life at all.
                                Then he got busted breaking into a car and was faced with a decision the judge gave him to make.
                                5 years for B&E, or join the service.

In one year that boy was transformed into the most disciplined and honorable person i think i have ever met.
                                He's done absolutely awesome since then and he owes it to the service that saved him from who knows what.

The judge obviously recognised he had the perfect credentials for stealing oil in Iraq...

Comment

Working...