Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keeyth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2004

Actually, I began this thread talking about the ads for the movie, and they way they seemed to be portraying it... ...but the movie review seems to agree with what I suspected...

...and I'll not waste my money to go see a 2 star movie in the theater.
    Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• UGS
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2005

I just saw the movie, so my review will be informed.

It does certain parts of the book justice, but most of the parts in the book that point out how shitty being a Marine can be are left out of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Army and Marine recruiters start setting up booths right outside the theatre to snag the wide-eyed 17 and 18 year old boys comming out of the theatres.

Read the book if you want a good memoir.
      Keep on Rothing in the Free World

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

If a kid wants to join the military, I would suggest seeking out a Vietnam veteran to talk to before signing on the dotted line.

I had a recruiter ask me if I was interested once. When I told him my dad was a disabled Vietnam veteran, he stopped right there.

Comment

• Phil theStalker
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
          I think you should see the movie before you go off on a rant, Keeyth.

George W. Bush had full authorization from Congress before going to war with Iraq. George W. Bush had cited 18 UN resolutions that Iraq had not followed among his reasons for going to war. All of those resolutions are in writing, and can be proven to have not been followed by Iraq. It was perfectly legal.
          Warham,

When I read your shit on quiet, calm autumn Sundays like this, I wonder about how your false statements lend themselves to the turmoil of the future and to the fall of our precious way of life.

You suppose the U.S. is the army of the UN. I've said enough right there to shoot down your whole thesis for the U.S. going to war in Iraq.

Would it be too daring of me to ask you to produce the formal consent language in writing, or declaration of war documents the UN used for granting the U.S. crystal clear United Nations authorization and permission and backing to go to war in Iraq? Or as you say it, the UN going to war in Iraq. Can you produce the UN declaration of war?

No, you can't.

You're a fool and a liar. And I'm saying so right here for the whole world to see it. You are a liar. Produce your UN authorization documents giving permission to invade Iraq, a nation that is another UN member or...STFU.

You and your kind can't do anything except make the world a more worse place than it already is while also bringing down my country in your process. You are not going to get your superficially rationalized way. You are dangerous.

I was daring, and I'm still daring you.

Listen son, when your perfectly legal war comes to America your tongue and your mind set will not afford your survival. And I mean that in a nice way. I'm "giving you the good word".

Please wise up, kiddo.

I mean that very sincerely, and to all of Warham's buddies, t2oo.

It's later th...

IT'S LATER THAN YOU...
          Last edited by Phil theStalker; 11-06-2005, 01:17 PM.
          Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Just go rent Full Metal Jacket. No other movie can beat the bootcamp screaming and if you want to see the typical mediocre battle scenes, watch the second half of Full Metal Jacket. Jarhead sounds predictably boring as hell. The movie will soon be forgotten. We still remember Apocalyps Now after all these years. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Heck, Dave even borrowed that one for a song.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Phil theStalker
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              If a kid wants to join the military, I would suggest seeking out a Vietnam veteran to talk to before signing on the dotted line.

I had a recruiter ask me if I was interested once. When I told him my dad was a disabled Vietnam veteran, he stopped right there.
              Warham,

You promote war and you run like a coward from recruiters.

What kind of a madman are you?

WARHAM
              MUSICIAN OR MADMAN?<marquee direction=left>
              Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Just go rent Full Metal Jacket. No other movie can beat the bootcamp screaming and if you want to see the typical mediocre battle scenes, watch the second half of Full Metal Jacket. Jarhead sounds predictably boring as hell. The movie will soon be forgotten. We still remember Apocalyps Now after all these years. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Heck, Dave even borrowed that one for a song.
                The Thin Red Line is close enough.

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Keeyth
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by UGS
                  I just saw the movie, so my review will be informed.

It does certain parts of the book justice, but most of the parts in the book that point out how shitty being a Marine can be are left out of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Army and Marine recruiters start setting up booths right outside the theatre to snag the wide-eyed 17 and 18 year old boys comming out of the theatres.

Read the book if you want a good memoir.
                  So you're saying my suspicions are correct in your opinion?
                  Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• UGS
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Keeyth
                    So you're saying my suspicions are correct in your opinion?
                    For the most part, yes. It's unfortunate that the movie missed the point of the book, IMO. . . .the movie never shows the main character w/ the barrel of an M16 in his mouth, nor does it show how fucked up he and his fellow marines are after leaving the corps.
                    Keep on Rothing in the Free World

Comment

Working...