Dems exploit King funeral for political gain.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rustoffa
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
    I'm not surprised at all of the tone it took, she was a controversial woman who was married to an influential and controversial man, she went out much like she lived, in the thick of it all so let's show some respect and not nit pick the crap out of the details.
    Maybe that's why they tried to lighten it up? You're right Cat.

Comment

• Cathedral
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      What Clinton was saying was that Mrs. King should be remembered not just as a symbol, or even as MLK's wife, but as a real human being in her own right. And President Clinton knew her as a human being (as did President Carter) so he was right to say it.
      Ford, what did Clinton do for African Americans?
      How many did he employ that weren't part of the domestic staff?

Seriously, I'm at a loss as to why he is held in such high regard when it comes to race.

The facts are facts and the Republicans have crossed the racial barrier more than any Democrat ever thought of.

I know why they like Democrats, and the reason is entitlements. I also remember things getting rough for Clinton when he started messing with welfare. but once they learned it wouldn't change all that much the support came back.

The simple anwser for everyone is that Democrats BUY the African American support...that's a fact, history is undeniable.
      And Entitlement Programs are the Democrats Security Alert Code.

"Vote for us and you'll eat steak for free and drive Cadillacs while you live in assisted housing for $30 a month!".

I've seen it, I've jammed with it in a band for as long as i could stomach it, it's the truth and it's history.
      Last edited by Cathedral; 02-08-2006, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I believe Clinton connected well with African Americans because he knew what it was like to grow up poor in the segregated South. LBJ might sign civil rights acts, but he was an oilman. Nixon & Reagan deliberately played to the racists (see "Southern Strategy") When Clinton said he "felt their pain", in many ways, he literslly had.

and it didn't hurt that he went on the Arsenio Hall show either
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And as for Chimpy being so "supportive" of blacks, I wouldn't say that a 4 star general, and a woman with an oil tanker named after her are exactly a realistic representation of the average African-American in the 21st century.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

So, he did nothing for them?
            Well, i'll give you the "connecting" thing, that's what politicians are supposed to do to get votes. You know, kiss the babies, shake the hands, etc.

By the way, this may shock you but i don't think Bush has made any strides in that area either, that wasn't my point though.
            But interesting how you use Powell and Rice's good fortune against them to discount the fact that they were both blacks placed in positions of political power.

You basically went on the defensive for something i wasn't even implying.

That tells me way more than i even asked.

Comment

• diamondD
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

I believe Clinton connected well with African Americans because he knew what it was like to grow up poor in the segregated South.

Oh puh-leeze. It's because he pandered to them as their Democratic governor.
              Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• diamondD
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

And as for Chimpy being so "supportive" of blacks, I wouldn't say that a 4 star general, and a woman with an oil tanker named after her are exactly a realistic representation of the average African-American in the 21st century.
                They aren't exactly a realistic representation of the average American either. They are ACHIEVERS.
                Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                  So, he did nothing for them?
                  Well, i'll give you the "connecting" thing, that's what politicians are supposed to do to get votes. You know, kiss the babies, shake the hands, etc.

By the way, this may shock you but i don't think Bush has made any strides in that area either, that wasn't my point though.
                  But interesting how you use Powell and Rice's good fortune against them to discount the fact that they were both blacks placed in positions of political power.

You basically went on the defensive for something i wasn't even implying.

That tells me way more than i even asked.
                  Actually, the Chimp reference was more for "DR Chip" who recited the FAUX news talking points earlier in the thread.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

The only thing that didn't happen at the funeral is a big brawl breaking out with chairs being thrown. Someone gets slammed into the coffin knocking it over and the dead corpse of Mrs. King goes rolling out.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Cathedral
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
                      As i said, The Republicans historically went to the mat for them before any Democrat did and the Republicans have gone farther to help them than any Democrat has.
                      The difference is that the Republicans position beyond that is, "Do for yourselves, this is the land of opportunity", where the Democrats say, "You can't do it on your own, here's a check since you have babies, and here's a domicile equipped with food stamps, we're here for ya!"...

So, what are they to do?
                      Go out and bust their ass (like I have) for a weekly check to survive?
                      Or just kick back and tell themselves that the White Man has kept them down and owes them a living becaise they are opressed?

I happen to have more faith in people than that, and i know that if they taste pride just once they'll be out looking for a job, applying for student loans to get better educated and actually give a damn about themselves.
                      Then a Democrat Liberal fuck will tell them I am their opressor because I don't want to give them anything.

But the reality is I support giving them a fishing pole as opposed to just giving them fish.

The bible even speaks of this, and i quote:

Thessalonians II 3: 8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
                      9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
                      10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
                      11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
                      12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
                      13 But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
                      14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
                      15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

Somehow i beleive the good Dr. King and his wife, Coretta would be agreeing with me here, not thinking i'm the speaker at a KKK meeting.

Entitlement Programs keep people down, and it has been politically advantageous for the Democrats to keep these programs up and running.
                      Martin Luther King wasn't a supporter of the public tit, folks, and if you suggest otherwise then you have no clue what his DREAM was all about.

He was fighting for equality for his people, not entitlement. he wanted to be treated equally, not taken care of.
                      The welfare system is oppressive, and the Democrats support it.
                      I do not, and if it is being used as a means to make a living instead of a helping hand it is being abused, and that is NOT the fault of the Republicans.
                      Last edited by Cathedral; 02-08-2006, 02:39 AM.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

I believe Clinton connected well with African Americans because he knew what it was like to grow up poor in the segregated South. LBJ might sign civil rights acts, but he was an oilman. Nixon & Reagan deliberately played to the racists (see "Southern Strategy") When Clinton said he "felt their pain", in many ways, he literslly had.

and it didn't hurt that he went on the Arsenio Hall show either
                        Clinton also said he was one of the first white boys in Arkansas to not give up his seat in the front of the bus too. Call him the male version of Rosa Parks.

Last edited by Warham; 02-08-2006, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

While I agree with the message, I don't agree with the time and place, as there is always a time and a place for everything.

Then again, the repukes are just as guilty in the past as well. I can why the preacher did it, it was his only chance and his 2 minutes.

Carter should have refrained, even though he is correct. He will have plenty to say when he is called in to testify.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

On a side note, I only heard about what happened last night, I didn't see it, but I could see what the headlines would be and I knew the usual suspects would try their best to make a big deal out of this. The repukes and the right wing lunatic nut jobs who have no probelm murdering people so that business as usual may continue are quite desperate and in a corner.

It's pretty funny.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
                              Oh, so only ARKANSAS blacks support CLINTON...

Actually, CLINTON was a much better President for working people in general. And for everyone here that wants to make the vaguely racist claim that "da' blacks like Clinton 'cause he give dem' welfare." That's largely bullshit! In fact, welfare reform such as 'workfare' was initiated under Clinton's administration....

The bottom line is better economy, no jobs outsourcing, and no big oil connections=popular president with the underclass

He relates to them in many ways. "Bill Clinton was the first black president!" --Chris ROCK

Comment

• Warham
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

I don't think paying high taxes during the 90's was a kind thing for Clinton to do to me.

I noticed after the 2000 election that my paychecks started to get bigger. Go figure.

Comment

Working...