Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Berlin (AFP) – The German FA’s (DFB) inquiry into the 2006 World Cup scandal is set to cost around 3.5 million euros ($3.83m), interim

Winter blues for Beijing as pollution worsens
    Dec 12 12:42 PM US/Eastern

Beijing residents have been warned to stay indoors as the city's pollution index hit its highest level amid the worst conditions since coal-fired power plants kicked into gear for winter.

Every monitoring station in Beijing's urban districts recorded levels of particulates seven times higher than the safety standard, the Beijing environmental protection bureau said.

Sulfur dioxide and carbon monoxide levels, emitted by coal furnaces and cars, were also several times over standards, it said.

"The city environmental protection bureau is alerting citizens to reduce outside activities under such conditions. Frail people or those sensitive to pollution should take measures to protect themselves," it said.

The pollution levels were the worst in the capital since the winter heating season began in early November, when the city fired up its nearly 6,000 coal-fired furnaces, it said.

A heavy layer of fog covering much of northern China was resulting in the pollutants accumulating in the capital, which is also home to 2.8 million cars, one of the city's other main sources of air pollution.

In the run up to the 2008 Olympic Games, Beijing has vowed to clean up its air and this year set a goal of 238 "blue sky days," or days with only light pollution.

As of Tuesday, the city needed eight more to reach the annual goal, the bureau said. But official "blue sky days" are often hazy affairs with heavy pollution.
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• scamper
      Commando
      • May 2005

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
      Yeah, then what's with all the videos of you danicng around topless in kilts that are available on YouTube, scampy m'boy?
      You can't hide killer ab's and great legs.

Comment

• scamper
        Commando
        • May 2005

Originally posted by FORD
        Oh really??

Then what was THIS doing in your DVD collection??

It was a Christmas present, really.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Monday, Nov. 27, 2006
          10 Questions for Al Gore
          By CAROLINA A. MIRANDA

Al Gore's reinvention keeps rolling. His interactive cable network for young people, Current TV, is available in 30 million homes in the U.S. An Inconvenient Truth, Gore's global-warming slide show turned hit film, is the third highest grossing documentary of all time and debuted on DVD last week. Gore, 58, talked with TIME's Carolina A. Miranda about his Hollywood role models, the steps he has taken to be carbon neutral and whether he'll run for President in 2008.

Given your star turns at Cannes and Sundance and the success of your documentary, should Brad Pitt worry?

Nah! I'm trying to follow in the tradition of Rin Tin Tin. I would like to have my paw print in front of [Grauman's] Chinese Theater. But I'll have to hold a lot more slide shows before that's possible.

Can audiences expect more show-business credits in the future?

My previous work, as you may know, was as a disembodied head in Futurama. I played opposite Richard Nixon. They're making a movie version where I will reprise my role. There are a number of people clustered in a certain age group who are quite taken with the fact that I once uttered the immortal line "I have ridden the mighty moon worm!"

How did a lecture on climate change become such a hit?

I've had a powerful ally in reality. Global warming is now clearly the overriding challenge of our time. Nations around the world are waking up to it and putting in place new policies. Of course, much more is needed, but the good news is that much more change is on the way.

There are many people who still doubt the science. Senator James Inhofe, head of the Senate's environmental committee, has condemned global-warming science as "hoax."

There's some good news here. Senator Inhofe will soon be replaced by Senator Barbara Boxer, an advocate of solving the crisis, as chairwoman of that committee. As to why there are still skeptics--there are people who believe that the moon landing was staged in a movie lot in Arizona. Another reason is that some of the largest polluters are still putting millions of dollars a year to hire pseudo scientists to confuse people into thinking that this crisis isn't real.

In proposing a solution to this problem, you are asking people to change their lifestyles. How feasible is that?

The grass-roots response has been impressive. There are 330 U.S. cities that have independently embraced the Kyoto treaty. And millions of Americans are deciding to become carbon neutral.

Your critics on the right say that with all your jet-setting, you don't live as carbon neutral as you preach.

That's just not true. Two years ago we became a carbon-neutral family. I purchase Green Power [electricity from renewable sources], have installed new lightbulbs and clock thermostats, and I'm installing solar panels. We switched to a hybrid car. I am not recommending actions that I haven't already taken myself.

Soon there will be a new Democratic Congress in town. Do you think it will seriously tackle this issue?

Yes, I do. It remains to be seen, of course--in deeds, not only words. It will be difficult. But I think that the odds of meaningful change in U.S. policy have improved quite dramatically since the election.

Should ratifying the Kyoto Protocol be a priority?

We should ratify it, but this will be very difficult so long as Bush and Cheney remain in the White House and there is a narrow majority in the Senate.

Speaking of that narrow majority, there is talk that your former running mate, Joe Lieberman, will defect to the Republican Party. Do you think that's likely?

I'd be surprised, but I really don't know. Joe has always been a leader on the issue of global warming. It's one of several issues where he would find himself in uncomfortable company if he changed parties.

You have stated repeatedly that you are not currently planning to run for President in 2008. Do you have a more creative denial?

I don't have any plans to run. Nor do I have any creative denials. I'm using the same ones. They'll soon be out on DVD.

Copyright © 2006 Time Inc. All rights reserved.
          Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

Comment

Working...