• Show
Clear All
  • ULTRAMAN VH
    Commando
    • May 2004

Barack Obama: The Human Rorschach Blot
    by Mac Johnson (more by this author)

Posted: 02/13/2007
    Barack Obama is like a small, shiny object. The easily fascinated can stare deeply into his blank sheen and see...their own reflections. He can be anything to anyone because he is nothing in particular. Yet listening to the leftstream media, one would have to conclude that the man is a multifaceted miracle.

He's a moderate. He's a third way. He's demographic fusion cuisine. He's a floor wax. He's a desert topping. He’s everything you'd hoped for and whatever you need. That's the beauty of being unknown.

He's like that girl way over there at the other end of the bar -- perfect, unknown, perfectly unknown, and improved mightily by distance and pent-up desire. Mentally, you're in love and three weeks into the relationship before you even make it halfway over to meet her.

Then you notice her eyes and think, "Man, which one do I look at when I speak, because they don’t point in the same direction. And what's with the Adam's apple?" But at that point it's too late to turn around, because one of those eyes has seen you already. I think that's the way a lot of folks are going to feel about their Obamaphilia after a few months of campaigning have removed the gauze filter from his carefully blurred image.

If any of the fawning were asked to name his greatest accomplishment, could they name an accomplishment? Other than being elected to the Senate just two and a half years ago, and being simultaneously black and yet likeable to white folks, I mean.

For emphasis, let's examine a list of Obama’s major accomplishments (so far):

Simultaneously black and yet likeable to white folks
    Made the initials "B.O." cool again
    Good oral hygiene
    That's it. He's the Wayne Brady of politics -- everything white folks had been hoping for in at least one black person, the big payoff for all that tolerance and diversity babble. That may not be the politically correct thing to say, but it is an honest assessment of exactly what pent-up desire is fueling Obamamania among his white, liberal fan base.

Obama's resume and record (even just a record of firm opinions on important issues) are so thin that I really believed that early media talk of his running for President was an affectionate nicety -- like a manager saying of a favored intern, "You'll be running this corporation before the summer's over!"

Yet here we are, just a year after such talk began, and the intern has announced that he’s putting his resume in for the position. Well, I'll alert human resources.

Allegedly, his appeal rests with his "inspiring" story. Lord knows he's told his story enough: in two books, uncounted speeches and interviews and occasionally in explanations of why the story in the books seems to differ from the facts. (Obama was telling the "literary" truth, rather than getting bogged down in the literal truth.) Come to think of it, I should add a fourth bullet point to my list of Obama's major accomplishments (so far):

4. Telling his own story

The man's Jesus and John the Baptist all rolled into one -- the messiah that foretells his own coming. But what, really, is so inspiring about his story? He is alleged to have overcome the odds -- to have succeeded in the face of oppression. But to see "black" as a synonym for "oppressed" is just a stereotype (oh, and the rationale behind affirmative action laws). And we all know that stereotypes are wrong. I keep waiting for some real tale of the adversity he’s faced and I have yet to hear it.

As far as I can tell, this is his inspiring story of success despite oppression:

He overcame the oppression of being born to a well-off middle class white woman and a Harvard Ph.D. father, then he overcame the oppression of attending private schools his entire life. His story took a dark turn toward further oppression when he was admitted to Columbia University and then -- gasp -- Harvard Law School -- where he was practically lynched into the position of President of the Law Review by an overwhelming majority. Nay, an oppressive majority. From there, his life has just been a Hell of accolade and accomplishment.

The Boston Globe this week cited as an example of his oppression that children at his private school sometimes made fun of his unusual name. Please excuse me if I don't rush off to a sit-in on his behalf. As a child named "Mac”"entering elementary school right about the time of McDonald's famous "Big Mac Attack" campaign and "Big Mac" jingle ("two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions on a sesame seed bun" as I seem to recall), and who soon learned that Mac rhymes with "Quack!" and "Whack!" I would now like to announce my candidacy for the presidency of the United States based on my inspiring story. I still can’t hear a quip about "special sauce" without thinking of the oppression of my fathers...or at least the Clinton administration. Get in line, crybaby.

The only real adversity I can find in his life is that his mother couldn’t seem to stay married to the same man for much time and his father couldn't seem to marry just one woman at a time. And, again, if having a screwed up family is a primary political asset, we'll need to form a really long line. The only thing weirder than the average family would be a normal family.

Yet the CNN.com poll question for Saturday was "Does Barack Obama's life story inspire you?" (Surprisingly, most respondents said "No." So I am not alone in my underwhelming enthusiasm for the media darling.) If stories like Barack's are inspiring, then the field is plainly crowded with inspirational tales:

Mitt Romney: An eloquent son of a former governor of Michigan. Like Barack, he overcame his privileged background to become a successful politician. Although, if it’s triumph over real adversity and prejudice that you want, consider that young Romney spent 30 months as a Mormon missionary in France! Now this is a man that has known struggle against the odds.

Joe Biden: Born to a used car salesman, he somehow found a talent for politics. He later overcame a devastating battle with congenital dihydrotestosterone-induced alopecia. Despite its ravages, Biden has bravely kept "plugging away" at politics ever since, chairing numerous televised hairings. Uh, I mean "hearings."

Tom Tancredo: Actually did come from a humble background, went to a humble school, became a public school teacher, married a public school teacher and yet went on to engineer a national political career. People don't like that story though, so let's focus on the fact that he was involved in public education and still became an unabashed conservative. Talk about overcoming oppression.

John Edwards: The son of a textile worker and a postal employee, grew up working class in rural North Carolina. He overcame this humble background to become a primping effete metrosexual millionaire trial lawyer. Perhaps picking leaders based on humble beginnings is not a foolproof system.

Dennis Kucinich: The son of an Ohio truck driver and a stay-at-home mom, Kucinich went on to overcome his obvious mental illness and the malnutrition of a vegetarian diet to become the member of Congress voted "most detached from world reality." Again, perhaps choosing leaders based on humble beginnings is not a foolproof system.

I could go on and on (and often do), but you get the idea. Barack Obama called his political aspirations "The Audacity of Hope," but really they're nothing so much as the audacity of hype.

Obama is just a human Rorschach Blot -- a figure so devoid of definition and meaning that what his devotees see in him is more an insight into them than into him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mr. Johnson, a writer and medical researcher in Cambridge, MA., is a regular contributor to Human Events. His column generally appears on Tuesdays. Archives and additional material can be found at www.macjohnson.com.

humaneventsonline.com

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
      Obama is just a human Rorschach Blot -- a figure so devoid of definition and meaning that what his devotees see in him is more an insight into them than into him.
      Like most successful politicians these days...

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Then you notice her eyes and think, "Man, which one do I look at when I speak, because they don’t point in the same direction.

And what's with the Adam's apple?"
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
          Commando
          • May 2004

This particular entry was rather amusing, dealing with Dennis Kucinich.

Dennis Kucinich: The son of an Ohio truck driver and a stay-at-home mom, Kucinich went on to overcome his obvious mental illness and the malnutrition of a vegetarian diet to become the member of Congress voted "most detached from world reality." Again, perhaps choosing leaders based on humble beginnings is not a foolproof system.

What is more amusing is the fact that Kucinich is Ford's hero.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Grate. Maybe someday you'll grow up, read stuff, and actually form opinions of your own rather than just lifting op-eds.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Let us know when you actually have something of your own to offer, dipshit.

Originally posted by Kristy
              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
              Originally posted by cadaverdog
              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                Commando
                • May 2004

Okay Lounge Manure, your party of Dumbocrats are piss weak. You have a Black candidate who is not even popular among blacks. But oops, the LIBBY media keeps forgetting to tell us that his mom was white. Oh and then there is Hitlary. She is running so fast from the left to the center that even guys like Ford hate her guts. On the Right side of the fence Mitt Romney just entered the race and is my personal favorite. BUT OH NO!!!! He is one of them Mormon folk. The guy has been married for forty years unlike his competitors McCain and Guilianni who both behave like Nick's favorite "THE BIG DOG". Heaven forbid we put up a candidate who stands for family values, secure borders and smaller government. Have a nice evening, douche.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

God forbid we listen to someone like Dennis Kucinich and at least attempt to live in a world without needless wars and predatory capitalism.

I don't believe I've ever described him as a "hero" but I'm certainly not insulted by the reference. In any other country that calls itself a democracy, Kucinich would be considered a moderate leaning conservative.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Okay Lounge Manure, your party of Dumbocrats are piss weak. You have a Black candidate who is not even popular among blacks.
                    Spoken like a true Ultraklansman.

But oops, the LIBBY media
                    Scooter has his own media now? Was that Cheney's present to him to buy his silence about ing-Outay erie-Valay ame-Play

Oh and then there is Hitlary. She is running so fast from the left to the center that even guys like Ford hate her guts.
                    Center of WHAT? Center of the right hand shoulder of the highway, about a foot from the ditch. The CUNT wants to bomb Iran even more than Chimpy does!!

On the Right side of the fence Mitt Romney just entered the race and is my personal favorite. BUT OH NO!!!! He is one of them Mormon folk. The guy has been married for forty years
                    Yes, but only to his first wife.

unlike his competitors McCain and Guilianni who both behave like Nick's favorite "THE BIG DOG". Heaven forbid we put up a candidate who stands for family values, secure borders and smaller government. Have a nice evening, douche.
                    The religious reich controls YOUR party. They'll never nominate a Mormon, or a pro-choice gay friendly Catholic from New York City. And if they wanted to nominate McCain, they should have done so in 2000 when he clearly WAS the most qualified Republican in the running. I don't see any of those three getting the nomination.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Okay Lounge Manure, your party of Dumbocrats are piss weak. You have a Black candidate who is not even popular among blacks. But oops, the LIBBY media keeps forgetting to tell us that his mom was white. Oh and then there is Hitlary. She is running so fast from the left to the center that even guys like Ford hate her guts. On the Right side of the fence Mitt Romney just entered the race and is my personal favorite. BUT OH NO!!!! He is one of them Mormon folk. The guy has been married for forty years unlike his competitors McCain and Guilianni who both behave like Nick's favorite "THE BIG DOG". Heaven forbid we put up a candidate who stands for family values, secure borders and smaller government. Have a nice evening, douche.
                      Are you really 39 or was that a joke?
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

"I'll take moronic partisan cliches' from ill informed, out of touch buffoons for $5000, Alex."

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2007

And your ignorant ass buy's that shit every 4 fuckin' years.
                          WE NEED A PRESIDENT! Not a goddam spokesman for the Moral majority!
                          The LIBBY MEDIA? I guess it's not important to the fuckheads that blindly follow the party line and vote these criminals in that they are just as responsible for putting them there.Yeah,I'd wanna pair of earplugs too if I found out my beloved freedom fightin' president, who rewards incompetence and denies failures,either isn't REALLY President, or is in on the WORST case of Democratic sodomy the White House has ever seen.
                          Tell me-what's it called when you "out" a CIA operative in order to discredit her husband's contradictory intel?
                          And what's it called again when you tell the world,"whoever is responsible will no longer work in the White House"? then try to blame the FUCKING MEDIA?!?!?
                          And what's it called when all this is done for the VP's "former employer"?
                          Dumbocrats, my ass!
                          "OOhhh!! Clinton got a blowjob!"
                          Neo-Cunt, Please!!!

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2007

You have a Black candidate who is not even popular among blacks. But oops, the LIBBY media keeps forgetting to tell us that his mom was white. Oh and then there is Hitlary....

If you would lay off the moonshine you might notice the female underneath you is yer sister, Billy Ray.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

On the Right side of the fence Mitt Romney just entered the race and is my personal favorite. BUT OH NO!!!! He is one of them Mormon folk.
                              I wouldn't vote for someone tha believed in Mormonism and(look out for the clue) the moroni to be the local town dog catcher.

Without even scratching the surface of the stupidity of the 'religion'...

SMITH'S NEW RELIGION
                              Smith got his new religion going by writing a book known as The Book of Mormon. The book was much too dull to make it as a novel -- Mark Twain called the book "chloroform in print" -- so it was marketed as a new bible. Having quite a flair for publicity, Smith pretended to have translated The Book of Mormon from a pile of gold plates dug out of a glacial hill in upstate New York -- with the help of a resurrected man, no less!

ABOUT THE BOOK OF MORMON
                              The book purports to tell of lost tribes of Israelites and others floating to South America, some in giant barrels, others in a boat. Arriving in America, they all turned into Indians, built cities, fought wars, received a visit from Jesus Christ after he couldn't make a go of it in Palestine, and finally killed each other off in A.D. 421. Shortly before the fatal fight -- a colossal battle allegedly waged at Hill Cumorah, near Palmyra, New York -- a person appropriately name Moroni buried the plates for Smith to find.

Some day I will devote an entire column to The Book of Mormon. Here it must suffice to recount an amusing anecdote concerning the birth of the book.

THE "SEER STONE"
                              When young Smith claimed he had a magic "seer stone," a stone with which he could see inside hills and beneath the surface of the ground to inspect for buried treasurers and enchantments. The seer stone became transformed into the biblical "urim and thummin" with which he later claimed he could "translate" any language -- including "reformed Egyptian," the imaginary language in which his Jewish Indians supposedly had written their history. A locked box held what Smith claimed to be the gold plates bearing this reformed Egyptian Chaldee Jewish American Indian history.

TRANSLATING THE BOOK OF MORMON
                              Sitting in one-half of a room divided into two sections by means of a blanket hung from a rope, Smith would pretend to be translating aloud from the plates and would dictate The Book of Mormon to his secretary Martin Harris. Harris sat on the other side of the blanket, afraid to peek at the plates for fear he would be stricken with the plague, and the scab, and hemorrhoids, and the botch of Egypt. After many days of such inventive labor, 116 pages of manuscript had been written -- all of it supposedly translated by divine guidance by means of the magical seer stone.

DISASTER STRUCK
                              And it came to pass...disaster struck! Martin Harris' wife, Lucy, stole the manuscripture and taunted her gullible husband, "If this be a divine communication, the same being who revealed it to you can easily replace it."

The impostor Smith was trapped. He knew it was impossible for him to reproduce the story exactly, although he should have been able to do so if there had indeed been divine guidance. To redictate it would be to invite disasterous comparison. At this point, surely, a lesser man would have given up the job of bible-writing and have become a used-mule salesman or a whortleberry farmer. But not Joe Smith -- no sir! He went right back to work and dictated The Book of Mormon.

SMITH AVOIDED BEING CAUGHT
                              How did he get away with it? How did he avoid being checkmated by Lucy Harris' threat to compare the new inspiration with the old one? Very simple. He added a preface to the first edition of the book. The preface claimed that the 116 pages had been translated from supposed Plates of Lehi and that the devil had caused the translation to be stolen and altered from what Smith had "translated." So that even if Smith were to produce a new translation word-for-word identical with the first, it nevertheless would appear to differ from the stolen pages because of the changes which had been made in the latter by the cunning of the devil. Therefore, god had changed the writing assignment so that The Book of Mormon no longer is a translation of The Plates of Lehi!

God's exact words, according to the preface, were: "I will not suffer that Satan shall accomplish his evil design in this thing. Therefore thou shalt translate from the plates of Nephi."

As you can see, this god was still speaking King James' English even though it was now the year 1828. The preface did the trick, however, and Lucy Harris was neutralized.

SMITH WROTE OTHER SCRIPTURES
                              Encouraged by the success of his first bible, Joseph Smith proceeded to write other "scriptures." One of these is known as The Book of Abraham and is published today as part of a volume known as The Pearl of Great Price.

THE BOOK OF ABRAHAM
                              Unlike The Book of Mormon, which merely dull or silly, depending upon how much coffee one has been drinking, The Book of Abraham has a rather unpleasant side. Until recent years, it was used to justify the racist policies of the Mormon church. Blacks formerly were not allowed to hold the "priesthood." Since almost all postpubertal Mormon males are priests and since Mormon women can't amount to anything unless they marry a man who does hold the priesthood, this dogma effectively kept Blacks out of the "white and delightsome" Church of Jesus of Latter-Day Saints.

The offensive passages are to be found in Chapter I, verses 20-27. Verse 24 ends with a reference to the biblical "curse of Ham": "From Ham sprang that race which preserved the curse in the land."

Verses 26-7, referring to Pharaoh (whom Smith supposed to be a Negro), say that Noah "cursed him (Ham and his descendants) as pertaining to the priesthood. No Pharaoh being of that lineage by which he could have the right of priesthood," and so on.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jul 2004

Congratulations Ultraspam. You managed to do what I asked again.

You managed to post YOUR OWN THOUGHTS. Not some op-ed from the RHETORIC you're spoon fed daily.

And what a post it was !!!

I can honestly say, and anyone in here may correct me if I'm wrong....

YOU have posted the most ignorantly funny parapraph in FL history.

[ We're only counting those over 30, as many stupid teenagers in here have posted something just as ignorant as you have.]

That was well worth the wait.

Hoo-Boy

Your parents must be so proud. Why don't you go on upstairs and give 'em a hug.

Last edited by LoungeMachine; 02-13-2007, 09:27 PM.
                                Originally posted by Kristy
                                Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                                Originally posted by cadaverdog
                                I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...