X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
    Why would I want to watch a movie trying to convince me that my religion is wrong? I'd no sooner watch a movie telling me that my liking of Van Halen is wrong.
    Frightening analogy, to say the least......

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• hideyoursheep
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
      Religious people tend to avoid information that challenges their beliefs.
      As is evident in the Truck Stop Baptist Church scene.

(SPOILER!)

Originally posted by kwame k
      Thanks for posting the link, Sheep.

Celebrity Boxing:
      Bill Maher vs Dennis Miller

I'd love it!

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        How do you even know what the actual points of his movie are? You haven't even seen it.

Maybe he's not taking issue with the existence or nonexistence of a God. Maybe he's just mocking the shit out of organized religion, whose actions are often so hypocritical and contrary to the teachings of the figures they claims to represent that they are downright blasphemous.....

Bingo. I can't wait to check it out.

I can already tell this is the kind of movie my former Catholic Church will (if they haven't already) FORBID anyone to see...

I remember when The Exorcist came out - I was a little kid, but I remember them telling us we WOULD "burn in hell" if we so much as watched the movie, or read the book... (yeah, they're not about thought-control, though!)
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Religious people tend to avoid information that challenges their beliefs.

Invisible made up shit does not stand up up to much scrutiny.
          I know that having an attitude is part of your internet shtick, but I'm going to use your comment as an example: it's degrading, insulting views/comments like that no matter if it's a nonbeliever against a believer or a believer against a nonbeliever.

The reason why so many people with a religious faith don't engage in conversation that contradicts their faith is that they're insulted for having the faith. It doesn't become a conversation about interesting details, what the differing views are, and food for thought from both sides. It usually turns into an attack on the believer of their faith. Usually invisible sky god or pretend make-believe daddy are thrown around. Well, who would want to walk into that situation regardless of what the topic was? And trust me, lots of us who prescribe to a faith have walked down that path, either with intent or by accident, enough to know when to avoid it.

And I know not all who don't prescribe to a faith are like that. And I know that those who don't prescribe to a faith are likely to turn into our little example by being treated that way by crazy hate-filled fundies, who unfortunately are so vocal that they end up being the example to others when they are the exception.

It all comes to respect and a person's intention for engaging in such a conversation.

But, then again, if we had more respect for each other overall, lots of things in this world wouldn't be.
          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
            I know that having an attitude is part of your internet shtick, but I'm going to use your comment as an example: it's degrading, insulting views/comments like that no matter if it's a nonbeliever against a believer or a believer against a nonbeliever.

The reason why so many people with a religious faith don't engage in conversation that contradicts their faith is that they're insulted for having the faith. It doesn't become a conversation about interesting details, what the differing views are, and food for thought from both sides. It usually turns into an attack on the believer of their faith. Usually invisible sky god or pretend make-believe daddy are thrown around. Well, who would want to walk into that situation regardless of what the topic was? And trust me, lots of us who prescribe to a faith have walked down that path, either with intent or by accident, enough to know when to avoid it.

And I know not all who don't prescribe to a faith are like that. And I know that those who don't prescribe to a faith are likely to turn into our little example by being treated that way by crazy hate-filled fundies, who unfortunately are so vocal that they end up being the example to others when they are the exception.

It all comes to respect and a person's intention for engaging in such a conversation.

But, then again, if we had more respect for each other overall, lots of things in this world wouldn't be.
            Ah, Ally...missed ya.

He does have a point though, in that most people won't even engage in a serious debate, no "spirit-daddy" being thrown around or anything, because a LOT of it does not stand up to logical or scientific scrutiny. But that's where faith comes in anyway, right?
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
              Ah, Ally...missed ya.

He does have a point though, in that most people won't even engage in a serious debate, no "spirit-daddy" being thrown around or anything, because a LOT of it does not stand up to logical or scientific scrutiny. But that's where faith comes in anyway, right?
              That and a lot of people don't bother getting educated in the history of religions, how they formed, how their different, and (most importantly) they're connected. Hell, a lot aren't even educated in their own religion. It's quite sad.

The reason I think is because they view it the same as studying evolution: they see it as sinful and that opening themselves up to it will bring the devil into their soul. This then circles back to not being educated in their own religion.
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                Sniper
                • Feb 2007

if we had more respect for each other overall, lots of things in this world wouldn't be.
                Wow!! That's sooo true.
                https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                  Sniper
                  • Feb 2007

I do wonder why believers in such an all powerful "God" find him to be so threatening.
                  Me too! :confused: At Rothfans, Lounge started a thread "Do You Believe" and a poster put all kinds of satanic pics of Satan blaspheming Jesus and a few people got offended, and someone took them down. Those pics didn’t bother me one bit. Even though Lounge started that thread with a questionable sign, I felt it was cool of him to want those satanic pics taken down too. I think he even knew those pics went too far.

I always felt it was pretty dumb to make fun of someone else’s beliefs when you can’t even explain your own. And that goes BOTH ways.
                  https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

Well said, Ally.

I'll admit that I do play rough around here. I can take what I dish out and then some. I love a good thought provoking challenge. It helps me keep my own "beliefs" in check. And yes, I will call them "beliefs" because that is what they are. I, however, do not fear or avoid information to the contrary.

I will offer this cliché to members who find it difficult to engage in forums such as this one: "If you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." If having your beliefs mocked or deconstructed offends you that much you should probably spend less time in The Front Line and more time in prayer. If having your screen name fucked with causes you pain then you are nothing but a fucking baby.

I find many people of faith to be soft bellied and ignorant of their beliefs. Many are unable to articulate their faith beyond the simple pop-culture understanding of Christianity. Such laziness is absurd and does not serve one's cause in the least. It also makes for extremely boring conversation.

They know not of the origins of the modern Bible. They choose not to live according to Christ's example. Most simply fear death and feel the need to choose what their "afterlife" will look like. Ironically, most are able to provide a more vivid description of Hell than their chosen "destination."
                    Last edited by DEMON CUNT; 12-29-2008, 10:51 PM.
                    Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2007

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
                      25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them. Jesus cometh, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and see my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and put it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing."
                      28 Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
                      29 Jesus saith unto him, Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Just got an e mail from JC.....

He wanted y'all to know that He was planning on visiting this thread, but due to the current events in Gaza, He's a little busy trying to talk His Dad down from smiting the living fuck out of Israel at the moment.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2007

In some religions, that would mean God is arguing with himself.

What a sick joke the Middle East is on the world....3 religions that believe in the same God, breaking God's law to keep a small area of desert away from one another. That doesn't sound like "intelligent design" to me...it's more like "Punk'd".

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

I will offer this cliché to members who find it difficult to engage in forums such as this one: "If you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." If having your beliefs mocked or deconstructed offends you that much you should probably spend less time in The Front Line and more time in prayer. If having your screen name fucked with causes you pain then you are nothing but a fucking baby.
                            Quite a sad state this forum has fallen into when someone can't post an opinion, without slamming anyone, and get nothing but crap for it. Some of you are so hooked on hopping online to see what flame war you can post for the day that you either drive people away, or end up with a thread with no decent argument or discussion.

All I said at the beginning was that I choose not to view the movie. I didn't say it was a horrible movie, that you shouldn't watch it, or that anyone would be damned if they don't believe any specific way. I just stated I personally would choose to not watch this move and gave an analogy that makes sense to me. And for some reason you and many others feel the need to slam me for that? Why do you feel such a need to change my beliefs to yours? Why is it such a big deal that I choose to not watch this movie? Do you guys get royalties from this film?

And about the screen name changing. That was a post from another thread where I simply pointed out that when you end up not being able to effectively argue back a point I make, you resort to name calling. That's childish, or "fucking baby" as you so eloquently put it. I think this just shows that it's you that finds it "difficult to engage in forums", at least not intelligently.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Quite a sad state this forum has fallen into when someone can't post an opinion, without slamming anyone, and get nothing but crap for it. Some of you are so hooked on hopping online to see what flame war you can post for the day that you either drive people away, or end up with a thread with no decent argument or discussion.
                              What's even more sad than that is when a poster wastes an entire post crying about how mean everybody else is. Grow up.

All I said at the beginning was that I choose not to view the movie. I didn't say it was a horrible movie, that you shouldn't watch it, or that anyone would be damned if they don't believe any specific way.
                              Of course you didn't say that. You can't, because you have no idea what the movie's about, apparently. And therefore shouldn't even be posting in the thread in the first place, unless you're at least relatively educated about the subject material.

I just stated I personally would choose to not watch this move and gave an analogy that makes sense to me. And for some reason you and many others feel the need to slam me for that? Why do you feel such a need to change my beliefs to yours? Why is it such a big deal that I choose to not watch this movie? Do you guys get royalties from this film?

And if that's the way you're going to go through your life, that's entirely your right, but when you openly admit to it, you might expect to receive a little grief - ESPECIALLY from those who have seen the kind of damage organized religion (ORGANIZED) has done over the centuries to people because they DON'T bury their heads in the sand and say "I'M NOT GONNA WATCH! I DON'T LIKE CHALLENGES!"
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jul 2004

Quite a sad state this forum has fallen into when someone can't post an opinion, without slamming anyone, and get nothing but crap for it. .

LMMFAO while rolling eyes. [I'm multi-tasking]

Site has been back up one week, and you've already cried, whined, and bitched about the forum more than anyone.

If you post an opinion, you KNOW you are opening your post up to every critic here. You KNEW this going in.

So now cuntplaining about it is ridiculous.

I hear they have a really soft touch over at RF. Maybe you'd feel the warm and fuzies over there.

This is the Roth ARMY. We wear flak jackets and protective cups here, smoochie.

And your VH "analogy" was silly. If you can't see/admit that, then you're not the intelligent guy I took you for.

Sac up and deal with it in here, or find a softer place to lay your head.

This is the NFL.

Originally posted by Kristy
                                Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                                Originally posted by cadaverdog
                                I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...