• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lqskdiver
    Sniper
    • Jun 2004

AIR AMERICA HITS SOUR RATINGS NOTE

By JOHN MAINELLI
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
    Print Reprint

June 22, 2004 -- ENCOURAGING preliminary ratings for all-liberal Air America in New York have collapsed along with the fledgling radio network's finances.
    An unofficial "extrapolation" of Arbitron data released last Friday — which Air America's hosts crowed about last month but virtually ignored yesterday — showed WLIB's ratings dropping back to their lowly levels before the net's April launch.

Arbitron cautions stations and advertisers not to read too much into this interim monthly data — but that didn't stop Air America star Al Franken from boasting last month that he'd beaten WABC's Rush Limbaugh among the 25- to 54-year-old listeners chased by radio advertisers.

Instead of ratings yesterday, Franken discussed a Wall Street Journal article that provided frightening details about alleged phantom finances — including purported promises of major backing from liberal moneybags Norman Lear and Larry David — that resulted in a near-complete shakeup of Air America's executive suite last month.

According to the article, many Air America investors thought the network had raised $30 million — when, in fact, only $6 million had been raised before the network launched.

"We have a new influx of cash coming up," said Franken, whose contract promises more than $1 million a year, according to the Journal.

"I am being paid now," he told listeners yesterday. "I've been paid for weeks."

Franken took issue with Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly for interviewing a reporter last week who said Air America investors have been throwing money "down a rat hole."

"Fox News Channel lost $150 million in its first two years," Franken said. "That was a much bigger rathole than our rathole."

Air America president Jon Sinton, who declined comment through a spokesman yesterday, told The Post in April that it would be unfair to make too many judgments too soon.

"It takes a long time to develop a [talk radio] audience," Sinton said, echoing the sentiments of many talk radio experts. "This is a long-term project."

The lefty network, which hopes to counter the election-year influence of high-rated conservative talk radio, is still without affiliates in Los Angeles and Chicago after noisy disputes over station lease payments.

Except for New York's WLIB (1190 AM), its 15 affiliates are in medium to small markets.

Fox News Channel is owned by News Corp., which also owns The Post.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lqskdiver
      To compare Dean to the Savior shows just how "off kilter" your brand of idealogy is and will insure the re-election of W.

Just doesn't make any moral sense. Maybe THAT is why Bush wants sweeping mental health screenings. It's aimed for NUTBALLS like you!
      I have never, and would never say that Howard Dean was the Son of God. However, aside from that, the story has similarities.

Jesus was crucified by the Pharisees and other sellout sycophantic Jews who refused to stand up to the Roman Empire.

Dean was "crucified" by the DLC and other sellout sycophantic "Democrats" who refused to stand up to the Bush Criminal Empire.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• John Ashcroft
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

AIR AMERICA HITS SOUR RATINGS NOTE

By JOHN MAINELLI
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
        Print Reprint

June 22, 2004 -- ENCOURAGING preliminary ratings for all-liberal Air America in New York have collapsed along with the fledgling radio network's finances.
        An unofficial "extrapolation" of Arbitron data released last Friday — which Air America's hosts crowed about last month but virtually ignored yesterday — showed WLIB's ratings dropping back to their lowly levels before the net's April launch.

Arbitron cautions stations and advertisers not to read too much into this interim monthly data — but that didn't stop Air America star Al Franken from boasting last month that he'd beaten WABC's Rush Limbaugh among the 25- to 54-year-old listeners chased by radio advertisers.

Instead of ratings yesterday, Franken discussed a Wall Street Journal article that provided frightening details about alleged phantom finances — including purported promises of major backing from liberal moneybags Norman Lear and Larry David — that resulted in a near-complete shakeup of Air America's executive suite last month.

According to the article, many Air America investors thought the network had raised $30 million — when, in fact, only $6 million had been raised before the network launched.

"We have a new influx of cash coming up," said Franken, whose contract promises more than $1 million a year, according to the Journal.

"I am being paid now," he told listeners yesterday. "I've been paid for weeks."

Franken took issue with Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly for interviewing a reporter last week who said Air America investors have been throwing money "down a rat hole."

"Fox News Channel lost $150 million in its first two years," Franken said. "That was a much bigger rathole than our rathole."

Air America president Jon Sinton, who declined comment through a spokesman yesterday, told The Post in April that it would be unfair to make too many judgments too soon.

"It takes a long time to develop a [talk radio] audience," Sinton said, echoing the sentiments of many talk radio experts. "This is a long-term project."

The lefty network, which hopes to counter the election-year influence of high-rated conservative talk radio, is still without affiliates in Los Angeles and Chicago after noisy disputes over station lease payments.

Except for New York's WLIB (1190 AM), its 15 affiliates are in medium to small markets.

Fox News Channel is owned by News Corp., which also owns The Post.
        Beat me to it dude! I was just going to post this.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As if a Murdoch tabloid counts as a legit news source?
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Lqskdiver
            Sniper
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            I have never, and would never say that Howard Dean was the Son of God. However, aside from that, the story has similarities.

Jesus was crucified by the Pharisees and other sellout sycophantic Jews who refused to stand up to the Roman Empire.

Dean was "crucified" by the DLC and other sellout sycophantic "Democrats" who refused to stand up to the Bush Criminal Empire.
            Yeah, I agree the similarities are there. I just don't see a New Testament being written about the guy.

Comment

• lucky wilbury

Good to be back, swinging the conservative mallet.

The magazine is floundering/floundered. Not due to the idea, mind you, but the fascism of the managing party. That one was for FORD.

Naa, I bailed...my partner in crime/editor began an ego trip that left everyone behind including the subscribers and writers. Bad decision making,heavily in debt and one year later, I dropped out and told him to fuck himself.

It was a damn good idea and garnered a lot of support. Unfortunately, I don't think he was ever up to the task. He was in it for the party and celebrity status.
              that sucks at least you gave a shot at it.

Comment

• Lincoln
                Groupie
                • Jan 2004

The man who could save the network, if he had a radio show, is the same one who should be the next President of the United States.......
                Maybe if the network was covering live broadcasts of pro wrestling.
                http://debatepolicy.com

Comment

• knuckleboner
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Good to be back, swinging the conservative mallet.

The magazine is floundering/floundered. Not due to the idea, mind you, but the fascism of the managing party. That one was for FORD.

Naa, I bailed...my partner in crime/editor began an ego trip that left everyone behind including the subscribers and writers. Bad decision making,heavily in debt and one year later, I dropped out and told him to ---- himself.

It was a damn good idea and garnered a lot of support. Unfortunately, I don't think he was ever up to the task. He was in it for the party and celebrity status.
                  sorry to hear that, man. i did enjoy my subscription. so, if only for those couple of issues, i thank you!

as for the radio...part of what made rush successful was that he was a character. right to some. and completly nuts to others. but a good deal of those people still tuned into him to see what he was doing.

to be honest, crazy, screaming dean probably COULD help the ratings...

Comment

• Viking
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2004

I was firm in my conviction that Err Amerika would tank, but those incompetent fucks flew it into the ground so fast, I got dizzy watching it crash......

Comment

• freak
                      Sniper
                      • May 2004

The man who could save the network, if he had a radio show, is the same one who should be the next President of the United States.......

The problem with liberal radio is not with the messengers. It's with the message, itself.

Consumers. You know...people who buy things. People that advertisers would like to reach.

They, by and large, think liberals are full of shit.

This is why successful liberal radio is a pipe dream.

Liberals will have to content themselves with the intellectual welfare program that is NPR.

Comment

Working...