Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

In a real sense. Nukes did make conventional weapons obsolete. We fight these petty wars because the military industrial complex makes money off of selling conventional weapons. So they want wars in countries like Iraq where they can't retaliate against us with ICBM missles. One reason we don't fuck with Russia or China directly. We start squabbles in the weaker countries and then grab assets there. The corporations and banks make their money.

None of these countries are going to fuck with us directly because they know will can level them at any time.

We are like a bull in a china shop because a handful of some Islamic thugs took over planes with some box cutters. Anyone suicidal with rudimentary piloting skills could do it. Know where you are. Set the auto pilot for the NYC or Washington DC heading. Kick it off and use controls to manually fly the plane into target.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• MUSICMANN
      Sniper
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
      Are you really this uneducated? This stupid?

Did you learn NOTHING in school? This is basic shit we're talking about.

ALWAYS helped our allies? Wrong, dumbass.

And where did I say NEVER, dumbass?

Jesus fucking Christ it's like talking to a 4th grader.

Doesn't know the difference between a republic, and a democracy, and uses words like NEVER and ALWAYS.

Seriously, man. You're a fucking moron.

ThisNation.com--Is the United States a democracy?

Is the United States a democracy?

The Pledge of Allegiance includes the phrase: "and to the republic for which it stands." Is the United States of America a republic? I always thought it was a democracy? What's the difference between the two?

The United States is, indeed, a republic, not a democracy. Accurately defined, a democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly--through town hall meetings or by voting on ballot initiatives and referendums. A republic, on the other hand, is a system in which the people choose representatives who, in turn, make policy decisions on their behalf. The Framers of the Constitution were altogether fearful of pure democracy. Everything they read and studied taught them that pure democracies "have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths" (Federalist No. 10).

By popular usage, however, the word "democracy" come to mean a form of government in which the government derives its power from the people and is accountable to them for the use of that power. In this sense the United States might accurately be called a democracy. However, there are examples of "pure democracy" at work in the United States today that would probably trouble the Framers of the Constitution if they were still alive to see them. Many states allow for policy questions to be decided directly by the people by voting on ballot initiatives or referendums. (Initiatives originate with, or are initiated by, the people while referendums originate with, or are referred to the people by, a state's legislative body.) That the Constitution does not provide for national ballot initiatives or referendums is indicative of the Framers' opposition to such mechanisms. They were not confident that the people had the time, wisdom or level-headedness to make complex decisions, such as those that are often presented on ballots on election day.

Writing of the merits of a republican or representative form of government, James Madison observed that one of the most important differences between a democracy and a republic is "the delegation of the government [in a republic] to a small number of citizens elected by the rest." The primary effect of such a scheme, Madison continued, was to:
      . . . refine and enlarge the public views by passing them through the medium of a chosen body of citizens whose wisdom may best discern the true interest of their country and whose patriotism and love of justice will be least likely to sacrifice it to temporary or partial considerations. Under such a regulation it may well happen that the public voice, pronounced by the representatives of the people, will be more consonant to the public good than if pronounced by the people themselves, convened for the same purpose (Federalist No. 10).
      Later, Madison elaborated on the importance of "refining and enlarging the public views" through a scheme of representation:

There are particular moments in public affairs when the people, stimulated by some irregular passion, or some illicit advantage, or misled by the artful misrepresentations of interested men, may call for measures which they themselves will afterwards be most ready to lament and condemn. In these critical moments, how salutary will be the interference of some temperate and respectable body of citizens, in order to check the misguided career and to suspend the blow meditated by the people against themselves, until reason, justice and truth can regain their authority over the public mind(Federalist No. 63).
      In the strictest sense of the word, the system of government established by the Constitution was never intended to be a "democracy." This is evident not only in the wording of the Pledge of Allegiance but in the Constitution itself which declares that "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government" (Article IV, Section 4). Moreover, the scheme of representation and the various mechanisms for selecting representatives established by the Constitution were clearly intended to produce a republic, not a democracy.
      To the extent that the United States of America has moved away from its republican roots and become more "democratic," it has strayed from the intentions of the Constitution's authors. Whether or not the trend toward more direct democracy would be smiled upon by the Framers depends on the answer to another question. Are the American people today sufficiently better informed and otherwise equipped to be wise and prudent democratic citizens than were American citizens in the late 1700s? By all accounts, the answer to this second question is an emphatic "no."

About this Site • Contact Us • Permissions

© 2008 ThisNation.com All Rights Reserved.

This proves nothing. You took what i wrote out of context for your own pleasure. You know dude, not everything needs to be explained down to the letter.

You think i was born on the moon. I've probably recited the pledge more than you have and i know how it is fucking worded.

I know how this government works and all the other intangables that go along with it. So let me put this in some easy words for you.

The United States Of America is a democracy. We have the right to vote and freedom of speech and all the other important things that makes up our Constitution.

Now how the government is set up is a Republic. We vote on who we want our State and federal Senators and congressman to be as well as the President.

So a word of advice. Stop trying to make yourself look more important than you really are.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by MUSICMANN

The United States Of America is a democracy. We have the right to vote and freedom of speech and all the other important things that makes up our Constitution.

Now how the government is set up is a Republic. We vote on who we want our State and federal Senators and congressman to be as well as the President.

backpeddle, backpeddle.....

Ohhh, you took my words out of context!, let me make your point for you now!!

No, idiot, we are DEMOCRATIC in nature, BUT A REPUBLIC IN PRACTICE.

You even now admit MY points.

And if one-man one vote for president is the law of the land [according to you] THEN WHY WAS BUSH ELECTED IN 2000 EVEN THOUGH GORE WON THE POPILAR VOTE?

We are a REPUBLIC, like I said, and you just admitted.

We have democratic principles, but are not a democracy.

God, you're too easy.

So, tell me again your theory of ONE-MAN ONE VOTE for president again?

Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

This proves nothing.

Now how the government is set up is a Republic.

Yes, I know moron, I just SCHOOLED you on that point.

So it DID prove 2 things

I know what I'm talking about, and that you're a complete fucking moron.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Wow, this is news to me. Hmm, America is not a democracy. So i guess when i voted this past election, it didn't count. My one man-one vote. i didn't realize that my represenative made my choice for me on who i wanted to vote for president.

This proves nothing. You took what i wrote out of context for your own pleasure.

Nice 180 there, mensa.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
              Sniper
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              I already debunked the ridiculous "destruction of Israel" shit, so I'm not even going there again.

Iran has no nuclear weapons. There is no evidence that they are trying to get a nuclear weapon, aside from a bunch of ridiculous speculation coming straight from Likud propaganda headquarters.

But let's suppose, just for a second, that they were trying to get a weapon.

Could you blame them?

They're surrounded on two sides by US occupied countries. Israel is a relatively short distance away (as the missile flies). Pakistan & India are also both armed, in the neighborhood, and known for occasional political instability.
              Then of course you got the big dogs Russia & China back in the outfield, so to speak.

You tell me what you would do in that situation, seriously.

Well let's see. Russia and china will do nothing to Iran, because they are the ones building or have built their nuclear facilities. India hates Pakistan, so don't even know what your talking about there.

And are you so dense that you can't turn on any TV or read any article that has Iran's president saying he wants to destroy Israel or doesn't believe that the holocost ever happened or whatever his crazy ass says.

I never said WE should go to war with Iran, Israel will do that. The biggest problem that the USA faces is that if Iran gets enough nuclear material to create a bomb, it will lead to a conflict with Israel, which in turn will get us involved.

The same way if North Korea decides to shoot a missile at Japan or do something to South Korea, We will get involved. This will lead us directly into another world war. One with the USA, Britian, France, germany and other allies agaisnt, Russia, China and Iran and their allies.

Would you really want that to happen, even if that's a worst, worst case scenario. Remember, those who don't learn from the past, are deemed to repeat it.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Notice MuzakMan is ducking the question....

HEY MENSA

IF IT'S ONE MAN-ONE VOTE FOR PRESIDENT....

What does the electoral college do, and why wasn't Al Gore President in 2000, he won the popular vote????????

idiot

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

, Israel

Yay!!!

See, you CAN learn from me.

Baby steps, bigboy. baby steps.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                    Sniper
                    • Apr 2004

Nice 180 there, mensa.

Dude you can try and turn all this shit around, i really don't care. You're not saying anything i already don't know about what this country is or what it is not.

I never backpeddle. See you're losing the whole point of when i said America was a democracy. Go back and read my first post when i said that. It had to do with whatever the other fuckstick was saying how every other country should just bow down to the USA's way of thinking.

I was stating that the USA is a democracy in it's beliefs and ideals. Free elections, freedom of speech, that kinda of stuff. The things that America fights for.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Dude you can try and turn all this shit around, i really don't care. You're not saying anything i already don't know about what this country is or what it is not.

I never backpeddle. See you're losing the whole point of when i said America was a democracy. Go back and read my first post when i said that. It had to do with whatever the other fuckstick was saying how every other country should just bow down to the USA's way of thinking.

I was stating that the USA is a democracy in it's beliefs and ideals. Free elections, freedom of speech, that kinda of stuff. The things that America fights for.

Did I call this, or what?

No, moron, that's NOT what you posted.

And you still havent answered the question about aONE MAN ONE VOTE FOR PRESIDENT.

My 14 year old knows more about US history/government than you....

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2007

Well let's see. Russia and china will do nothing to Iran, because they are the ones building or have built their nuclear facilities. India hates Pakistan, so don't even know what your talking about there.

And are you so dense that you can't turn on any TV or read any article that has Iran's president saying he wants to destroy Israel or doesn't believe that the holocost ever happened or whatever his crazy ass says.

I never said WE should go to war with Iran, Israel will do that. The biggest problem that the USA faces is that if Iran gets enough nuclear material to create a bomb, it will lead to a conflict with Israel, which in turn will get us involved.

The same way if North Korea decides to shoot a missile at Japan or do something to South Korea, We will get involved. This will lead us directly into another world war. One with the USA, Britian, France, germany and other allies agaisnt, Russia, China and Iran and their allies.

Would you really want that to happen, even if that's a worst, worst case scenario. Remember, those who don't learn from the past, are deemed to repeat it.
                        The words "mutual assured destruction" escape some people.

Iran actually has something to lose by getting directly involved in a conflict with any nation that already has nuclear weapons. They're not that stupid. I'm in agreement with FORD on this one...Iran may talk smack about the west and Israel, but the country is one of the more progressive in the middle east, and I can assure you that they want to live, if you know what I mean.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

Did I call this, or what?

No, moron, that's NOT what you posted.

And you still havent answered the question about aONE MAN ONE VOTE FOR PRESIDENT.

My 14 year old knows more about US history/government than you....

Your right. All i did was post America was a democracy and you took that out of context. Honestly, i'm not going into Electoral votes and Popular votes and crap like that. This whole thread was started because of the Presidents speech to Iran.

I think dealing with Iran in this fashion is dangerous and should be handle with alot of thought involved. America got dooped by the Japanese all those years ago and i would hate to see that happen again today.

Of course the only thing you're gonna post is me saying, Your right, and that is what makes you look like a smuck.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

The United States Of America is a democracy. .

Dude you can try and turn all this shit around,

I never backpeddle.

I was stating that the USA is a democracy in it's beliefs and ideals.

See, fuckstick, that's NOT what you said.

And that, you fucking braindead moron, is the epitome of a backpeddle

idiot.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

, i'm not going into Electoral votes and Popular votes and crap like that. .
                              crap like that?

But, THAT WAS THE BASIS OF YOUR WHOLE ARGUMENT, REMEMBER?

Wow, this is news to me. Hmm, America is not a democracy. So i guess when i voted this past election, it didn't count. My one man-one vote. i didn't realize that my represenative made my choice for me on who i wanted to vote for president.

You claimed we're a democracy, because YOU voted for president.

But you didnt know that you actually voted for the elector who voted for president.

It's like 8th grade Social Studies should be required before we let morons like you post.

Of course you dont want to discuss "crap like that", because you'd have to BACKPEDDLE again, and explain what you "really meant to say"

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                                Sniper
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                                The words "mutual assured destruction" escape some people.

Iran actually has something to lose by getting directly involved in a conflict with any nation that already has nuclear weapons. They're not that stupid. I'm in agreement with FORD on this one...Iran may talk smack about the west and Israel, but the country is one of the more progressive in the middle east, and I can assure you that they want to live, if you know what I mean.

I agree that everyone wants to live. The problem i'm seeing is that, they and like most other mmiddle east nations are geared and motivated by religion above all else.

It's differant when you have a nation that has a differant ideal on how government should be, AKA communism. It's something totally differant if you have a country that is seeking to become nuclear, even though they say it's for energy, with their beliefs.

By all means this is no slight against the peace loving pro western people of Iran. The problem is, they don't control the country or the military, the supreme ruler does.

Comment

Working...