X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
    The Obama administration will play a key role in reshaping General Motors' board of directors over the next six months, potentially giving it even greater control in the management of the storied American manufacturer.

The president's auto task force plans to consult with the company as it replaces a majority of its board, a White House official said.
    Regime change in six months ??

Then what ??

People will suddenly buy a car designed for the people ??

Didn't Hitler do a similar thing ??

Comment

• hideyoursheep
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      I'm no expert on the US auto market but it seems to me any time you get into tariffs or protectionism it fucks things up.

So the tariffs forced the US car makers to the lower end of the market. Also any time you impose tariffs you can bet the country you do it to will respond with their own which hurts your exports.
      Notice how Japan was able to jump the barrier by building cars in the US...
      Non-union plants, lower cost, in a market hungry for those cars.

GM could never do that. They can move operations to Mexico to circumvent import tariffs, but the quality and design flaws have caught up with them.

Still, the Japanese tariffs against US cars are much higher...not that anyone in Japan wants a Mexican-built H3 to roam around in...

The Japanese have learned to build big for the US market, but I fail to see where the big 3 have ever learned to build small for the rest of the world.

If the Chinese start building decent, reliable and attractive vehicles, LOOKOUT!
      Last edited by hideyoursheep; 04-03-2009, 12:30 AM. Reason: more useless thoughts to add...

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Europe have been bad for tariffs too but to be fair that's a French thing rather than the UK which is usually against that stuff.

I think they are self defeating these days.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          People will suddenly buy a car designed for the people ??

Didn't Hitler do a similar thing ??
          Hitler may have been one batshit crazy genocidal BCE funded son of a bitch, but he was right about the Autobahn and the Volkswagen.

Too bad this model never made it to the US.....

The "Schwimmwagen". Amphibious car.... would have been a great commuting car if you live around water. Let's see... do I wanna take the I -90 or 520 bridge today? Fuck it, I'll just drive across the lake!
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...