X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob

I have multiple guns myself, and as a gun owner I have NO problem with intensified regulation of assault weaponry, period. As I stated, assault weaponry serves no purpose other than killing people and for that reason they should be EXTREMELY difficult to come by.
    Have you shot one before? I used to be against those types as well. One day at the gun range a friend & I rented an assault rifle...AR-15 maybe, not exactly sure what model, but it was a baddie. OMG! That thing was awesome to shoot. Made me want one immediately. I didn't buy one, but damn they are sweet. Can't really explain it, you kinda have to experience the feel of one.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
      Have you shot one before? I used to be against those types as well. One day at the gun range a friend & I rented an assault rifle...AR-15 maybe, not exactly sure what model, but it was a baddie. OMG! That thing was awesome to shoot. Made me want one immediately. I didn't buy one, but damn they are sweet. Can't really explain it, you kinda have to experience the feel of one.
      I have. And it gets old quick, especially during "Basic Rifle Marksmanship"...

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Hey, guess what? This asshole in Pittsburgh was a white supremacist Nazi who posted at Stormfront?

Suspect in officers' shooting was into conspiracy theories
        Sunday, April 05, 2009
        By Dennis B. Roddy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
        MySpace
        Richard Poplawski's photo from mySpace.

Richard Andrew Poplawski was a young man convinced the nation was secretly controlled by a cabal that would eradicate freedom of speech, take away his guns and use the military to enslave the citizenry.

His online profile suggests someone at once lonely and seething. He wrote of burning the backs of both of his hands, the first time with a cigarette, the second time for symmetry. He subscribed to conspiracy theories and, by January 2007, was posting photographs of his tattoos on white supremacist Web site Stormfront. Among his ambitions: "to accumulate enough 'I punched that [expletive] so hard' stories to match my old man."

"Crazy to me is going through the motions," he wrote on his MySpace profile three years ago. "Crazy to me is letting each day slip past you. Crazy is being insignificant. Crazy is being obscure, pointless."

No longer obscure, the 22-year-old is charged in the worst police shooting in the modern history of Pittsburgh. No one is calling his actions anything but pointless.

"He was really into politics and really into the First and Second amendment. One thing he feared was he feared the gun ban because he thought that was going to take away peoples' right to defend themselves. He never spoke of going out to murder or to kill," said Edward Perkovic, who described himself as Mr. Poplawski's lifelong best friend.

Mr. Poplawski's view of guns and personal freedom took a turn toward the fringes of American politics. With Mr. Perkovic, he appeared to share a belief that the government was controlled from unseen forces, that troops were being shipped home from the Mideast to police the citizenry here, and that Jews secretly ran the country.

"We recently discovered that 30 states had declared sovereignty," said Mr. Perkovic, who lives in Lawrenceville. "One of his concerns was why were these major events in America not being reported to the public."

Believing most media were covering up important events, Mr. Poplawski turned to a far-right conspiracy Web site run by Alex Jones, a self-described documentarian with roots going back to the extremist militia movement of the early 1990s.

Around the same time, he joined Florida-based Stormfront, which has long been a clearinghouse Web site for far-right groups. He posted photographs of his tattoo, an eagle spread across his chest.

"I was considering gettin' life runes on the outside of my calfs," he wrote. Life runes are a common symbol among white supremacists, notably followers of The National Alliance, a neo-Nazi group linked to an array of violent organizations.

"For some time now there has been a pretty good connection between being sucked into this conspiracy world and propagating violence," said Heidi Beirich, director of research at the Southern Poverty Law Center and an expert on political extremists. She called Mr. Poplawski's act, "a classic example of what happens when you start buying all this conspiracy stuff."

Mr. Perkovic said Mr. Poplawski's parents had split when he was young.

"His dad's totally out of the picture," said Mr. Perkovic.

According to his MySpace profile online, Mr. Poplawski lived in Stanton Heights, was an avid Penguins fan, considered Mario Lemieux his hero, and held his grandmother, Catherine Poplawski, whom he called "Cukie," in warm esteem.

Mr. Perkovic said his friend essentially dropped out of North Catholic High School. Officials there would only say he was asked to leave.

After the 9/11 terrorist attacks -- a day before Mr. Poplawski's birthday -- he decided to join the military, stopped going to classes and pursued a general educational development certificate.

"In boot camp he had missed his girlfriend so he had to make a decision ... he got himself dishonorably discharged so he could come back," Mr. Perkovic said.

According to Mr. Perkovic, Mr. Poplawski tossed a lunch tray at a drill instructor.

The relationship with his girlfriend, Melissa Gladish, went sour after Mr. Poplawski returned to Pittsburgh.

Court records show that on Sept. 14, 2005, Mr. Poplawski attacked Miss Gladish outside 1016 Fairfield St., the same address at which he would later be accused of killing the three police officers.

Miss Gladish said she had gone to Mr. Poplawski's house "and he began to argue with me and call me names. When I argued back he grabbed me by my hair and said, 'Do you think I'm going to let you talk to me like that? I don't let anyone talk to me like that."'

He threatened to kill her, the records show. In a form asking Miss Gladish to list all weapons Mr. Poplawski had used, she listed "gun that the defendant says is buried in the park near his house."

Less than a month later, police sought Mr. Poplawski for violating a protection-from-abuse order after he went to Miss Gladish's workplace, a King's Restaurant, and asked her to marry him. He then moved to the West Palm Beach, Fla., area. Mr. Perkovic said he worked there as a glazier for two years.

Two years later, back in Pittsburgh, Mr. Poplawski wrote on MySpace of the episode: "She's lucky I didn't kill that broad myself. Hahaha."

Suspect in officers' shooting was into conspiracy theories
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Gee, what would be your first clue that this guy might be a NAZI wackjob?

Oh yeah, this best friend of his that they keep quoting? Perkovic? Yeah, he's a piece of work himself......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

BTW, John Lennon & Kurt Cobain just called me from beyond. They don't want you for a fan, asshole.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

I was in Raleigh last night for Penguins/Hurricanes, they had a moment of silence for them....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                Banned
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by FORD
                Looks like Elvis has seen the new Alex Jones "movie".

I watched that thing tonight. While I pretty much agree with everything he said about the Bilderbergers and the (not so) Federal Reserve, his case against Obama himself was pathetically weak. Allegations about him being "groomed for 30 years" (what, since he was 17??) without a shred of evidence to back it up.
                I haven't seen it. I thought it would be some of the same stuff he was talking about during the election.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                  There was a stand up comedian, I forget who now, who actually figured out the problem of gun violence.

Solution isn't taking away guns or making them more difficult to obtain - the solution was to keep it as is and just price bullets at $100.00 a pop.

You'd watch gun violence and accidental shootings vanish overnight, guaranteed.
                  Pretty sure that was Bill Hicks....
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• WACF
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Because of nut jobs like this some guns should be taken away.

Nothing wrong with hunting rifles.
                    Nothing wrong with people that target shoot handguns.

The thing is....

Hand guns should be required to be locked up...and not carried around at ones will.

Here...you can have a handgun...but you MUST notify the RCMP if you are transporting it from your home to a target range...to fail to do so is a criminal offence.

Nobody....requires a fully automatic weapon...and should not have one.
                    You wanna set up a range where you can rent one and blast away...fine...get off that way.

Canada is not gun crime free....but I can not imagine what it would be like if the restrictions in place did not exist.

Just imagine....if in order to even the odds....every police officer carried an assualt rifle...it would make people nervous.

For some reason the gun nuts do not get it....safety trumps rights in some cases.

Comment

• lesfunk
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I'm no fan of guns but I'm not sure they're the problem. The problem is societal.
                      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Igosplut
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by WACF
                        Because of nut jobs like this some guns should be taken away.

Nothing wrong with hunting rifles.
                        Nothing wrong with people that target shoot handguns.`
                        The flaw with this is all guns are capable of killing. If you relent and say "lets ban these type of guns" and just keep the one's that you mention, the people that do this will use those. Hence lets ban the rest, then we'll all be safe. Well except when the criminals are using illegally imported guns, and you can't defend yourself, but hey, there's a price for everything, right?

The thing is....

Hand guns should be required to be locked up...and not carried around at ones will.
                        So the criminals will have the total upper hand? My life isn't worth defending? Or yours for that matter?

Here...you can have a handgun...but you MUST notify the RCMP if you are transporting it from your home to a target range...to fail to do so is a criminal offence. Canada is not gun crime free....but I can not imagine what it would be like if the restrictions in place did not exist.
                        In MA, we have the strictest gun laws in the country. Since they pass them, gun crime has skyrocketed over 75%. And this is after the new laws either eliminated, or discouraged over 76% of the existing permits being issued. And this is in a state that it's illegal to do anything with a handgun (being legally licensed) other than carry it. Not even in your house is it legal to use it under ANY circumstances. Somebody could be cutting your wife's head off as he aims a gun at you in your bedroom and if you shoot him, you'll be in jail probably before he gets there. Not that it matters because the laws on storage are so strict, by the time I realise I need it, I could never get to it in time. Why do you suppose this is? And explain to me how that helps this situation.

Nobody....requires a fully automatic weapon...and should not have one.
                        You wanna set up a range where you can rent one and blast away...fine...get off that way.
                        Well if you could RENT one, then someone would have to own it right? None of the guns used in any of these shootings are fully automatic. Most of the reports would lead you to believe they were. For legal owners to obtain a full auto license, it takes so much federal and state approval to obtain that precious few EVER get them. There hasn't been one case of a full-auto license owner ever doing anything like this. The only present-day full-auto thing that comes to mind is those two bank robbers in Ca. And those guys made those guns full-auto.

Just imagine....if in order to even the odds....every police officer carried an assualt rifle...it would make people nervous.
                        HA! in my town, they do. One in every police car. Plus I know they have at least one full auto at the station. And why would you be nervous? Aren't police above all that?

For some reason the gun nuts do not get it....safety trumps rights in some cases.
                        Who's safety? Cause it isn't mine. Not here. Giving things up to be "Safer" only means nobody will ever shoot back.
                        Last edited by Igosplut; 04-06-2009, 03:22 PM.
                        Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Igosplut
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                          I'm no fan of guns but I'm not sure they're the problem. The problem is societal.
                          We have bingo.
                          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                            Michael Moore said as much in "Bowling for Columbine". He pointed out that Canada actually has more guns per person, but far less gun crime.

His theory was that it had a lot to do with the fear mongering of the corporate media. In the case of this particular skinhead asshole cop killing nazi, it would have been the extreme fear mongering of the right wing fringe media.

In some of these other tragedies the last few days, economic factors were probably part of the equation. And as I said elsewhere, pharmaceutical drugs probably played a part in some of these incidents, as they have in the past (the Virginia Tech shootings for example.)
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Big Train
                              I'm a conservative, but I am an independent conservative primarily for two reasons. I have no allegiance to guns or formalized religion (although I do believe in god and spirituality). If we did or didn't have guns, I don't really care. It's one of the "five subcultures that destroy men" that Carlin spoke about.

We have useful gun control and enough laws on the books. What we don't have and truly need is ammo control. These guys were able to do so much damage this week not because of the guns they carried, which are for the most part fairly standard issue, but the amount of ammo they carried, which allowed them to keep on firing. Nobody for ANY reason should have more than a box of ammo. If you need more than 1-2 boxes, your a shitty hunter. If the firing range kept ammo, fine. But you sign it out to fire it THERE and then. Like a driving range.

These are horrible events and my heart goes out to all involved. I just can't help but thing if these fucking useless pieces had less ammo, more would have survived and less would have been hurt.

YOU CANNOT BLAME THESE EVENTS ON GUNS OR AMMO !!!

HOLY SHIT!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                                Casualties from the second Bush Recession ??

Get the fuck out of here...

Left and right are wings of the same bird...

This recession / depression has been PLANNED!

Obama is following orders...

I predict he will take a bullet, which will be totally planned to further the objectives, and convince the average uninformed citizen to give up whatever rights they haven't given up already...

In the next 12 - 24 months the USA will be a scary place to be...

Planned by the international central banks. They are doing to us what they have been doing to the third world for years. Pump and dump and buy it all up cheap.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...