• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Sarah Palin accepts David Letterman's apology
    Sarah Palin accepts David Letterman's apology - Yahoo! News

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer David Bauder, Ap Television Writer – 55 mins ago

NEW YORK – Sarah Palin says she accepts David Letterman's apology for the joke he made about her daughter. The Alaska governor, in a statement issued Tuesday, said the apology was accepted "on behalf of all young women, like my daughters, who hope men who `joke' about public displays of sexual exploitation of girls will soon evolve."

On his CBS' "Late Show" on Monday night, Letterman said his joke about one of Palin's daughters being "knocked up" by Alex Rodriguez can't be defended.

He said the joke referred to 18-year-old Bristol Palin, not her 14-year-old sister Willow. But Letterman said it's his responsibility that people believed that he intended to target Willow, who had attended a New York Yankees game with her mother.

"I'm sorry about it, and I'll try to do better in the future," he said.

Letterman last week tried to make light of the joke after the first indications that it had fallen flat. Palin had called the comments "sexually perverted," and her husband, Todd, said that "any jokes about raping my 14-year-old are despicable."

Palin said Tuesday that Letterman has the right to joke about whatever he wants to, and "thankfully we have the right to express our reaction."

"This is all thanks to our U.S. military men and women putting their lives on the line for us to secure America's right to free speech," she said. "In this case, may that right be used to promote equality and respect."

Not everyone was willing to turn the page.

A "Fire David Letterman" protest still was planned Tuesday for outside the Ed Sullivan Theater, where he tapes the show.

"A belated apology is not sufficient accountability," said one organizer, Michael Leahy, comparing the situation to Don Imus' firing for comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Brent Bozell, president of the conservative watchdog Media Research Center, called the apology "slippery and Clintonian."

Although Bristol, an unwed mother, was the target of his joke, Letterman didn't name her when it was originally made on June 8.

It was "a coarse joke," "a bad joke," Letterman told viewers. "But I never thought it was (about) anybody other than the older daughter, and before the show, I checked to make sure, in fact, that she is of legal age, 18."

"The joke, really, in and of itself, can't be defended," he declared.

If there's a misconception that he was making the joke about a 14-year-old, Letterman said he understands why people are upset. "I would be upset myself," he said.

"I feel that I need to do the right thing here and apologize for having told that joke," he said. "It's not your fault that it was misunderstood, it's my fault that it was misunderstood."

Letterman made several references to the issue during his monologue, introducing himself as "Dave Letterman, good will ambassador." He said he got a call from his mother earlier in the day telling him she was siding with Palin.

When he began a joke about Bernard Madoff, whom he called "the most hated man in America," he then amended that to a list of two.

"Me, Bernie Madoff," he said. "He was way out in front until a couple of days ago."
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD

It's not like McCain's campaign wasn't dead long before then, but FAUX would love to have you believe that "librul talk show hosts" were to blame
      It's moreover of Viacom (who owns Letterman's show) if anything. Even on the days when I could stand to watch Letterman - because now he seems tired, burnt out and stupid - he had a uncontested anti-Bush agenda on his show clearly demonstrating Bush's incoherent speech fuck ups as comedy which they pretty much more or less were.

But the anti-Bush rhetoric wasn't just limited to his show. There was also Stewart/Colbert (also run by Viacom) who also berated Bush's retarded tendencies and showcased them in a more indiscreet way. You know this had to get under the skin of neo-cons whose only retort was to call out Letterman and Stewart as "punks" or "unpatriotic." And so the circle of media child-like name calling partisanship was born. I am growing so sick of it.

Speaking of Stewart, I cannot stand his show anymore. The Daily Show used to be a delight when thy took pot shots at pop culture or fads which was really what the whole genesis of the show was for but for the past few years it's nothing more than a burst of tiresome 8 to 9 minute political agenda delivered with Stewart's unfunny as fuck antics which, lately, he seems to be the only one laughing at them.

And that is what the suits at Viacom did - let Stewart or Letterman or whomever say pretty much what the wanted about the right, or, particularly Bush, uncontested. That Palin joke I didn't find all that offensive (or funny) but got me is who it was more or less who it was aimed at. Every now and then Letterman parades his spoiled brat on stage and you know if the Right criticized his kid there would be attorneys involved; the suits at Viacom should have known better to allow a "joke" such as that to be aired but then again, since it was anti-Right wing it's no wonder it slipped thorough the cracks.

As for Hannity, eh, more shameless self-promotion for him and his abysmal show. Hannity to me is another lost media whore looking for any angle to gain more publicity mainly because he doesn't care about Palin's kid or even his party but what it will take to augment his bank account; he's a good puller of the wool for America's increasing stupidity. I'm betting just like his waterboarding bullshit, this too will go nowhere.
      Last edited by Kristy; 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Letterman shouldn't have to apologize for Jack-shit! As for Palin, FUCK THAT BITCH! She needs to send her fertile cunt back to Alaska!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by GAR
          Letterman's sucked for the whole last decade, hasn't been hip for at least 15 and was never relevant.
          Aren't you the douchebag that thought Jesterstar was funny?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
            Very few parents are successful in this category.
            Great! Maybe they can stop being such moralist, pandering fuckwits that only backpedal with their judgmental --holier-than-now moralist babble of vanity-rhetoric-- when their kids get preggers or they get caught fucking around on each other. And of course they "spin" it with the, "well, at least she kept it!" or some bullshit whilst ignoring the fact that the kid and its teen mother will receive substantial financial support that others that are forced to "not keep it" never would have.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
              I lost a little respect for Letterman over this incident...

The only thing he needed to say was "Fuck You if you can't take a joke".
              He should have apologized to the daughters with the sincerest of genuflection, almost tearfully. Then he should have turned around, bent over, dropped his pants and said, "this is for you Sarah, you shit-mother MILF-bot cunt."

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                I lost a little respect for Letterman over this incident...

The only thing he needed to say was "Fuck You if you can't take a joke".
                I think his writers knew which daughter was in town, or they would have said knocked up "again."

Letterman's fairly astute though, he had to know. The first time he apologised saying "some jokes dont always work" now he's saying he didn't know which daughter was gonna be there. I don't believe him.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                  I think his writers knew which daughter was in town, or they would have said knocked up "again."

Letterman's fairly astute though, he had to know. The first time he apologised saying "some jokes dont always work" now he's saying he didn't know which daughter was gonna be there. I don't believe him.
                  When you going to apologize for taunting the mother of a US Marine regarding the potential for death in Iraq? Fuckwit...

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Go tease your goatpubes, I only tease mothers of California National Guardsmen who serve for 4 months as MP's guarding and watching the transport pool in Afghanistan, if they have red hair, and enjoy the tease because I'm familliar with them at least 5 or ten years.

I don't have a clue about any Marine mothers being taunted, let alone strangers but I have a clue you are very jealous of me so deal with it, fruitcake.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Well, this is a storm in a tea-cup (Or maybe A Cup, if the girl is only 14 )

It's pretty indefensible, he shouldn't have made the joke, even if it was the 18 year old daughter he had in mind. And lets be honest, Palin provides comedians with enough material for there to be no need to bring her daughters into it.
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

It would have been more Letterman's classic style if he were to say Palin herself was knocked up by A-Knob.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                          Go tease your goatpubes, I only tease mothers of California National Guardsmen who serve for 4 months as MP's guarding and watching the transport pool in Afghanistan, if they have red hair, and enjoy the tease because I'm familliar with them at least 5 or ten years.
                          Who are? And it was a Marine, you fuckwit. We all read the thread...

I don't have a clue about any Marine mothers being taunted, let alone strangers but I have a clue you are very jealous of me so deal with it, fruitcake.
                          Lying coward...

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

National GUARD=MP, her words.

Why don't you get her in on this, so you can STFU and eat your own feck.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                              National GUARD=MP, her words.

Why don't you get her in on this, so you can STFU and eat your own feck.
                              Show the thread! Oh, BTW, I think there were two actually...

And National Guard MP or Marine, you're still a classless douche hose...

Comment

• GAR
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

I accept your backhanded apology for being incorrect.

Comment

Working...