X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    I believe I'm already on record as saying that ABC/Disney has been every bit as useless as FAUX as a "news" organization since the day Peter Jennings died. And Jake Tapper is one of the more blatant right wing tools on their payroll.
    And on that note have you seen where ABC dusted off and recycled this?

I guess the reality show glut has run it's course and now it's time to bring back the 80's. Anyhoo, with all the promotional propaganda being spread over the show its seems less sci-fi as it it is anti-Obama. Sound ridiculous? As far as the plots go, it's less about world domination through brute force as it is submission though a benevolent being who promises health care, social reform, media control and equality for all as long as you return in full devotion. Sound familiar?

I won't watch it (are you kidding? Second-rate actors and over-blown CGI) but will follow where it leads as far as its (alleged) allegorical references to the Obama Administration.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Back in the early 1990's Limbaugh was more or less comedy. I drove a delivery van that had nothing in it but a shitty AM radio, which only got two stations - a country station and the local right wing talk channel. But I needed something to keep me awake on the road, so I usually went with the talk radio. Way back before the Oxycontin warped his mind, you could actually laugh at Mush's ridiculous reactions to anything Bill or Hillary said or did. But now it's just mean spirited hate. And BecKKK and Hannity more hateful than the Pig Man himself.
      Why yes. Next to sex hate sells. That's the gravy train the right rides.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Where was everyone on the FCC meddling in radio, or the greater media, when they began a fining campaign against Howard Stern to effectively push him off "free" radio by applying a hypocritical standard against him while they allowed Opera to air very informative shows on "tossing salad" and "rusty trombones?"

BTW, this campaign happened almost overnight the second Stern, inherently personally conservative to the point of being a reactionary, endorsed Kerry and criticized the Bush Admin...

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
          Most talk radio doesn't really make that much money.

Some do. What's Limbaugh's salary? Around $40 mil/year minus any public speaking appearances, magazine covers or advertising done on his part?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
            Some do. What's Limbaugh's salary? Around $40 mil/year minus any public speaking appearances, magazine covers or advertising done on his part?
            I don't know his specific salary. But his salary does not directly correspond with ratings. It's more a local decision to adopt syndication and that adds up to his salary.

And public appearances, covers, and the adverts are directed at a relatively small demographic, albeit a profitable one...

Comment

• Blackflag
              Banned
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kristy
              As far as the plots go, it's less about world domination through brute force as it is submission though a benevolent being who promises health care, social reform, media control and equality for all as long as you return in full devotion. Sound familiar?
              So was the show a political commentary when it aired the first time, too? Or are you just reading too much into things?

Comment

• Blackflag
                Banned
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                they allowed Opera to air very informative shows on "tossing salad" and "rusty trombones?"
                I don't know what's more disturbing - that you watch Oprah, or that you watch "very informative" shows about "rusty trombones."

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Blackflag
                  I don't know what's more disturbing - that you watch Oprah, or that you watch "very informative" shows about "rusty trombones."
                  Actually, I listened to Stern. He was fined for replaying parts of Oprah's show on exaggerated, fetishized teen sex, in which he brought up points like: why could Oprah talk about graphic sexual depictions that were largely made up anyways? but he was getting fined for doing less....

And overview:

The American tabloid magazine reported that on March 18, millions of Americans watched an episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, during which an O, The Oprah Magazine writer described in jawdropping detail, the latest fads in teen sex. Viewers learned that a "tossed salad," had little to do with healthy eating, but instead referred to oral sex to the anus. The guest went on to describe "rainbow" parties -- gatherings at which a gaggle of lipstick- wearing girls provide oral sex to one or more males. For this, declares shock jock Howard Stern, 50, Oprah should come under the same scrutiny as he has over his notoriously raunchy broadcasts. Since 1990, the Federal Communications Commission has levied fines, totaling close to $2 million, against Howard's show...
                  Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-20-2009, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Blackflag
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2006

I heard the same show, I was just busting your balls.

Just the same, it's ridiculous to say his troubles with the FCC only started after he criticized Bush. Give me a break.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I don't think he quite said that. I think he implied that things intensified under Bush's new FCC. One that would go after an easy target like him, but would never dare question the Juggernaut known as OperahHoma and that they were selective in their censorship as to avoid pissing off middle aged housewives...

Comment

• bueno bob
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        Because they can't...
                        Then I guess Fox News has no reason to worry about being censored.
                        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Back in the early 1990's Limbaugh was more or less comedy. I drove a delivery van that had nothing in it but a shitty AM radio, which only got two stations - a country station and the local right wing talk channel. But I needed something to keep me awake on the road, so I usually went with the talk radio. Way back before the Oxycontin warped his mind, you could actually laugh at Mush's ridiculous reactions to anything Bill or Hillary said or did. But now it's just mean spirited hate. And BecKKK and Hannity more hateful than the Pig Man himself.
                          Agreed. Back then his radio program, and even his television program, made for amusing comedy and counterpoint. In fact, I kinda look at old Rush as a precursor to The Daily Show, just a different slant.

No doubt that he's come to believe his own shit over the years.
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Rush can still be funny, but I miss his crazy friday show he used to put on...

I rarely listen anymore...

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Blackflag
                              So was the show a political commentary when it aired the first time, too? Or are you just reading too much into things?
                              Do I look like I wrote the fucking script? Or produce the show? Watch it for yourself and take from it what you want.

Comment

Working...