Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

So when they dismiss the court case, since he hasn't be read his Miranda rights and has been tortured by our government (they will probably use Obama's own words), plus the low hanging change of venue fruit.

If they are let go, who takes the heat? If they are, Obama will take a HUGE hit in his numbers.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
      So when they dismiss the court case, since he hasn't be read his Miranda rights and has been tortured by our government (they will probably use Obama's own words), plus the low hanging change of venue fruit.

If they are let go, who takes the heat? If they are, Obama will take a HUGE hit in his numbers.
      Unless they were planning on putting the BCE on trial for the torture, I doubt that's going to happen. Of course that wouldn't be a bad thing either.

As for the change of venue argument, it's written into the Constitution itself that a trial should take place in the same locality where the crime occurred, so it's completely proper that this trial will be in Manhattan, just as the trial of the 1993 WTC bombers was.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Good, let it be...

Comment

• Mushroom
          Commando
          • Jul 2009

POINT 1: Our justice system was designed by the founding fathers to offer deterrence, not punishment. Despite the bastardization of our system by emotional half-wits, the system has never been about gaining an “eye for an eye,” it’s been about creating ways to deter others to commit such heinous crimes. Trying terrorists not only fails to do that, it creates the exact opposite; terrorists will be motivated to attack America because the trial provides terrorists with weeks, months, maybe years to use our justice system to make statements, expose interrogation and investigation techniques and create a worldwide circus where nothing other than the terrorists heroes are talked about. Terrorists are already prepared to die, so sentencing them to the death penalty is no deterrence at all. Now, future terrorists see that attacks will lead to their opportunity to use our criminal justice system against us as a recruiting tool. That deters nothing and encourages everything that is anti-American.
          POINT 2: A trial in America demands that you be judged by a “jury of your peers.” Excuse me, but where do we find peers to non-Americans who loathe the country and belong to terrorist organizations? Are we to hold this trial in the hills of Pakistan? No one in America, that is not clinically insane, is a peer of a 9/11 terror mastermind. Is this a real trial? Clearly not and if it’s not, what is the point of the dog and pony show and allowing this nation’s greatest secrets, techniques and officers to be exposed and drug through the mud?
          POINT 3: The Attorney General of the United States, Eric Holder, the highest ranking law enforcement official in the nation, stated his confidence Friday in a guilty verdict. So which is it? Are we confident in our system to objectively try criminals or are we guaranteeing a pre-determined outcome and undermining our own nation’s credibility? Additionally, the Attorney General literally tainted a jury pool with that statement. Hello? Can anyone spell mistrial?

POINT 4: Terrorists are not American citizens and therefore have no right to be given access to our criminal justice system nor our systems for the rights of the accused.

POINT 5: Once allowed access to our laws and rights, the terrorists will use every sort of technicality to attempt to declare mistrials. We are giving terrorists, after the fact, the right to remain silent, even though they were waterboarded to make them talk. There’s not a judge in America that doesn’t have to immediately either taint his credibility or throw out all evidence gained during such techniques.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
            Dozens of family members of 9/11 victims have signed a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder, who announced the trial decision; President Obama; and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates opposing a civilian trial for the alleged plotters...
            Well, family members of 9/11 victims have also signed petitions asking for further investigations in allegations of the Bush Admin's possible criminal negligence in the events leading up to 9/11. Others' have criticized the Iraq War as completely counterproductive as it actually leads to more terrorists. Yet they were denounced by pundits on the extreme right as essentially "cashing in" on their loved one's deaths....

But, where do we go from here? McVeigh was a terrorist and he was convicted in both Federal and Oklahoma State court. And he was executed, although they couldn't really do it twice.

As for them, I believe terrorists deserve a fair trial, and a fair hanging day. So it's at the scene of the crime. It definitely should be in NYS, maybe Albany, Rochester, or Buffalo would be better, more muted venues. But why should anyone think justice should be done in foreign cells or camps and rationalized by silly legal semantics?

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
              Good, let it be...
              Did you mean to post this in a Beatles thread?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

No...

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uM14VkqzbA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uM14VkqzbA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Big Train
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    I like the idea of giving a fair trial. We gave the Nazi's a fair trial after WWII. I hate the government being able to arrest people and hold them without trial citizen or not.
                    Those were military tribunals I thought, no court trials, as if they were citizens.

Comment

• Big Train
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                      Unless they were planning on putting the BCE on trial for the torture, I doubt that's going to happen. Of course that wouldn't be a bad thing either.

As for the change of venue argument, it's written into the Constitution itself that a trial should take place in the same locality where the crime occurred, so it's completely proper that this trial will be in Manhattan, just as the trial of the 1993 WTC bombers was.
                      Tell me exactly how you feel this would not happen, when each of those things I've mentioned is a fact.

As completely proper as it is to have it there, it is equally proper to request that the trial be moved somewhere else.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                        Commando
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                        Mmm... I disagree. They are criminals, they should be treated as criminals, they should be tried and convicted as criminals. Just because they are batshit crazy doesn't mean they should be feared to be put on trial.

When they caught the Beltway sniper they didn't refuse to put him on trial because he killed so many and wasn't remorseful. Let them espouse their fucked up viewpoints. Let them rant. And let them be convicted and sentenced. Let the rest of them know that it doesn't matter what you say. It doesn't matter what you believe. If you fuck with us, we will eventually catch or kill your ass, haul it back over here, put your sorry ass on trial and convict you.
                        I certainly don't want to offend you, but have you sat in a courtroom lately? People are literally getting away with murder, due to guidelines that lawyers and yes judges have to follow. Just last week I witnessed a judge sentence a man to 18 months for shaking his girlfriends 18 month old baby to death. You call that justice? This has all the makings of a media circus and will probably surpass the O.J. Simpson trial in absurdity. Please, if you can, take a week off work and spend some time in your local court house and see 1st hand what kind of justice is being dispensed. I think you will be disapointed to say the least. Be on the lookout for:
                        1. Lawyers shopping for lenient liberal judges.
                        2. Constant POSTPONEMENT requests by attorneys.
                        3. Pissed off witnesses who take off work, only to be sent home due to postponements.
                        4. Pissed off victims who are sent home due to postponements.
                        5. Judges who decide to give a verdict at a later unspecified date, to avoid scrutiny from the media and public.
                        6. Criminals playing the system and abusing probation.
                        I can go on and on but I hope you get my point.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                          Commando
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                          Mmm... I disagree. They are criminals, they should be treated as criminals, they should be tried and convicted as criminals. Just because they are batshit crazy doesn't mean they should be feared to be put on trial.

When they caught the Beltway sniper they didn't refuse to put him on trial because he killed so many and wasn't remorseful. Let them espouse their fucked up viewpoints. Let them rant. And let them be convicted and sentenced. Let the rest of them know that it doesn't matter what you say. It doesn't matter what you believe. If you fuck with us, we will eventually catch or kill your ass, haul it back over here, put your sorry ass on trial and convict you.
                          I truly hope it is handled in the same manner as the Beltway Sniper, he no longer is a burden on anyone, but I just don't see it turning out that way. This is a politically charge event with to many variables. What cracks me up is when Obama was a senator back in 06 he was all for these clowns being tried via military tribunals and now like a typical candidate who has one the presidency, he changes like a true chamelion. Funny how politicians preach how they are going to change the world and make it a better place and once they achieve their goal, its the same new boss acting just like the old boss.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2004

Take My word for it, as long as there hath been trials and convictions, there hath been those wrongly convicted (such as Myself) and verily, those who should hath been convicted, but were not.

But does that mean ye should throw away thy Constitution, which is meant to protect ALL equally?

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Our Lord and Savior is correct.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                                Commando
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                                Our Lord and Savior is correct.
                                Since when do you take direction from our Lord and Savior, heathen.

Comment

Working...