X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    I'm not absolving the Dems of portions of the blame at all, however I think it's a big mistake to downplay what the Republicans (especially Senate Republicans) have done since he's taken office.

They've said no to nearly every proposal brought to them in the year Obama's been in office. They've threatened to filibuster, thereby forcing every bill to be enacted by a supermajority (60%) rather than a simple majority (51%), while at the same time failing to submit any worthwhile proposals of the bills they're rejecting.

You simply cannot overlook those facts. Last time I checked, this is still a democracy, with a separation of powers. Obama can't do it on his own, it still requires Congressional approval. And until the Republicans stop what can only be described as obstructionist policies, nothing will get done.

But of course, most Americans have no idea of the majority of what I just said, so they just see that Obama's not doing his job....

But that's just me....
    Spot on. To pretend the Republicans are blameless in this is silly. Dems have dropped the ball too, it's true, but the Republicans have tried to block EVERYTHING and have NO solid ideas of their own.
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's the Republicans who call themselves "Democrats" that piss me off the most. The Lieberdouche/Nelson/Bayh/Baucus/Landrieu extreme right wing of the party. I expect the admitted Republicans to be obstructionist douchebags. So-called "Democrats" should know better.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

They've said no to nearly every proposal brought to them in the year Obama's been in office.
        And that is terrific. Imagine the crap that we would have had if there were absolutely no opposition. Imagine the health care bill being passed without opposition, the way Obama, Reid & Pelosi originally envisioned it. That thing was a pile of shit and I feel sorry for the trees that died to make the 2,000 pages. So while Republicans said no, it wasn't for the sake of just saying it.

Most importantly, don't forget about all the Democrats that said NO....that is until they got some type of huge payoff. (see Ben Nelson)

So what's worse? Saying no? Or selling a yes vote?
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

There's a difference between opposition and obstruction....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Yup, and the Repubes have not shown any willingness to come up with any ideas of their own.....they don't know what they want but the damn well know they don't want anything that the Dems have to do with.

Oh and the fact that the Repubs stance on Health Care is that there's nothing wrong with the current system we have......Nothing to see here, move on.....mentality.
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Is there a difference between special earmarks & bribery?
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                Yup, and the Repubes have not shown any willingness to come up with any ideas of their own.....they don't know what they want but the damn well know they don't want anything that the Dems have to do with.

Oh and the fact that the Repubs stance on Health Care is that there's nothing wrong with the current system we have......Nothing to see here, move on.....mentality.

I haven't heard one Republican say there is nothing wrong with the current system. On the contrary, I have heard them say things like we need malpractice reform, allow insurers to sell across state lines, and immigration reform among other things. However, I have heard Republicans state that the health care in the United States is the best in the world. Not the insurance system mind you, but the medical care itself.

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

You're right I forgot all about the Republican plan.......

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdpUUutN7uQ&autoplay=&fs=1&showinfo=0&showsearch=0 &rel=0&autoplay=&fs=1&showinfo=0&showsearch=0&rel= 0&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" width="480" height="415" id="myytplayer"></embed> <div style="font-size:0.9em;"> <a href="/watch/2459728-republicans-unveil-thier-health-care-plan">Republicans Unveil Thier Health Care Plan!</a> - Watch more <a href="http://vodpod.com/politics">Politics Videos</a> at <a href="http://vodpod.com">Vodpod</a>.</div>
                  E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

They've said no to nearly every proposal brought to them in the year Obama's been in office. They've threatened to filibuster, thereby forcing every bill to be enacted by a supermajority (60%) rather than a simple majority (51%), while at the same time failing to submit any worthwhile proposals of the bills they're rejecting.
                    As if it was some kind of anti-progress/warped sense of progress. Problem is with most Rethuglicans today is they have allowed for taking heads and pseudo-journalists to do their work for them believing their view is Americas majority view from anything from heathcare to educational reform. It was rather difficult not too be cynical about Obama's speech as if [we] already know the State of The Union is fucked so the only thing left to do was throw our hands up and say, "Christ, we really need to look at ourselves and the stink that is the U.S. political system which is all of us."

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                      I haven't heard one Republican say there is nothing wrong with the current system.....
                      Nor have they offered any real solutions other than Punch and Judy™ shows for their moronic base...

The Democrats might not be much better, but the GOP® is the party of obstruction...
                      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-29-2010, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sadaist
                        Is there a difference between special earmarks & bribery?
                        Don't change the subject...

I have absolutely no problem with discussion, argument, debate, whatever you want to call it....

If they oppose the bill, they make their case, and then they vote.... That's how it's "supposed" to happen....

But threatening to filibuster EVERY bill is nothing more what they're calling it, obstruction....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

I thought his speech/meeting today at the GOP held function was excellent and to the point about this partisan bullshit that has infected Washington.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAmeDWjmpt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAmeDWjmpt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Obama, GOP exchange barbs, ideas in rare encounter

BALTIMORE – In a remarkably sharp face-to-face confrontation, President Barack Obama chastised Republican lawmakers Friday for opposing him on taxes, health care and the economic stimulus, while they accused him in turn of brushing off their ideas and driving up the national debt.
                          The president and GOP House members took turns questioning and sometimes lecturing each other for more than an hour at a Republican gathering in Baltimore. The Republicans agreed to let TV cameras inside, resulting in an extended, point-by-point interchange that was almost unprecedented in U.S. politics, except perhaps during presidential debates.
                          With voters angry about partisanship and legislative logjams, both sides were eager to demonstrate they were ready to cooperate, resulting in the GOP invitation and Obama's acceptance. After polite introductions, however, Friday's exchange showed that Obama and the Republicans remain far apart on key issues, and neither side could resist the chance to challenge and even scold the other.
                          Obama said Republican lawmakers have attacked his health care overhaul so fiercely, "you'd think that this thing was some Bolshevik plot." His proposals are mainstream, widely supported ideas, he said, and they deserve some GOP votes in Congress.
                          "I am not an ideologue," the president declared.
                          The rest here
                          Last edited by kwame k; 01-29-2010, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Don't change the subject...

I didn't and I'm not. You said Republicans all say no. I merely pointed out that so would many Democrats. The only reason they didn't is that they were bought off. Their yes vote was purchased.

But threatening to filibuster EVERY bill is nothing more what they're calling it, obstruction....

The Democrats HAD a filibuster proof majority. How can you try to put blame on the Republicans for threatening to do something that they could not even had they wanted to? You can't blame the Dems ineptness and inability to get anything passed on the Repubs this time. It's just not the truth.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                              for them believing their view is Americas majority view from anything from heathcare to educational reform
                              Which is actually the case.
                              “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

But threatening to filibuster EVERY bill is nothing more
                                That is how it's done when the democRATic majority doesn't want to include the minority party in how a bill is shaped, like that travesty of a healthcare reform bill that Obama, Pelosi, and Reid tried to ram thru Congress after all their secret meetings and behind doors deals for certain states.

Obama promised his administration would be the most transparent ever. BULLSHIT!!!
                                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Working...