Pew Research News IQ Quiz - What's Your Political News IQ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The Consumer Price Index which the US Government calculates the inflation rate from doesn't take figure the prices of energy and food.

A more accurate inflation rate would be 8.5%

If you are buying a home (in most areas), there is deflation, if you are buying energy and food there is inflation. Also, the government loves to fudge it's balance sheet excluding long-term fixed liabilities like government pensions and social security.

So government statistics are nice for politicians to rattle off but they aren't very accurate in the real world. Nobody in business would trust them.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      I caught that many economists are now worried about deflation...
      Over here I think inflation is starting to rise because the currency is worth shit. Despite setting off this misery the US ducked this to an degree because the dollar was still seen as a safer bet.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

11/12, admittedly with some good guesses (forgot the PM of Sesh's homeland) ...
        I'm so used to calling him 'that fucking cunt' I nearly got it wrong myself...

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Over here I think inflation is starting to rise because the currency is worth shit. Despite setting off this misery the US ducked this to an degree because the dollar was still seen as a safer bet.
          There really isn't a good currency anymore. The US Dollar keeps going because it's the oil reserve currency. The Euro is too new and unproven as is the European Union. The United Kingdom is a mismanaged has been and the British Pound Sterling doesn't command world respect the way it used to. The Japanese Yen might be a good short term park but long term it's just another fiat currency. Nobody trusts the Chinese so the RMB isn't going to be the new world currency either. The Swiss Franc is always good but not enough of them.

As for long-term investments, nobody has a straight answer because the world financial system is unsustainable on it's current course and the big shake-out hasn't happend. After mucho shit hit s the fan and if you are lucky enough to survive it then who the winner is will be seen.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...