This wikileaks guy should be "taken out" of the picture.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
    You're just now realizing that Moore is a self-aggrandizing media whore? What you're getting onto Chef is whole another area of social psychology where certain "celebrities" set themselves up as being the avatars or gurus of their generation. It's not wrong to have values or empathy for a soul such as Assange but Moore basis himself up on a lot of conspiratorial conjecture which makes it so difficult to trust a word that comes of of his triple-chinned mouth. Of course, look for a film by Moore to be coming out on this soon.
    Nah, I didn't just stumble to this conclusion, in fact I've pretty much believed it since he released Roger & Me. The situation regarding these avatars of a generation you mentioned brought to mind that terrific quote Dave Roth once said. Essentially, he had been asked a series of questions that had nothing to do with music, so he pretty much said that "Once you've had a hit record, you become an internationally recognized expert on everything...". The truth is, Dave was making fun of the situation, which really is absurd. You have these nitwits in the media not only seeking out people that are totally unqualified to offer an opinion on an issue, but once they do, they give the opinion weight and credence, and turn the unqualified person into a legitimate source of information! It simply boggles the mind.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I wonder if the sheeple will finally stand up when the FCC goes after the internet. The Chinese were editing my email when I was in Bejing for the olympics. I was complaining about the air pollution in a email and it was edited out. They must have thousands of people monitoring the net there.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I cut Assange some slack because he is exposing liars and criminals. When your government gets hijacked by mobsters who have no respect for the law, then that just opens the door for the citizens to break the law because the law means nothing.

Maybe World War III has started and instead of being fought with weapons, it's going be be fought by infiltration and exposure. Have you ever seen politicians this energized to stop something? As Dave Roth would say, they are squealing like wieners on a BBQ and then of course Michael Moore eats them.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            I wonder if the sheeple will finally stand up when the FCC goes after the internet. The Chinese were editing my email when I was in Bejing for the olympics. I was complaining about the air pollution in a email and it was edited out. They must have thousands of people monitoring the net there.
            It's tens of thousands apparently.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              I cut Assange some slack because he is exposing liars and criminals. When your government gets hijacked by mobsters who have no respect for the law, then that just opens the door for the citizens to break the law because the law means nothing.
              I'm still a bit confused by the emphasis on Assange. He's just the reporter and most news outlets would have done the same thing in publishing.

It was the guy Bradley who got the info and given the crimes he was seeing in Iraq and the stupid security what does anyone expect.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I would say if you want to know if it's effective, look at how many people it pisses off. Look at how the politicians are squirming. They are in a panic. The thing is Assange is a key element in the Wikileaks organization and Bradley is not. They want to take Wikileaks down and intimidate any other organization that attempts the same.

Having worked for the Department of Energy I can tell you the government doesn't care too much about the little guy but what they fear is certain key people in various programs getingt tipped off. If that happens those people will refuse to do certain things and that's the big wrench thrown in the operation.

We invaded Iraq and Afghanistan because key people trusted their president. If Wikileaks existed then, it would be a different story. Generals may have refused their orders. In other words, the people between the politicians and who actually carries the plan out can stall everything if they get tipped off. In the past, the politicians could totally dupe these people and manipulate them because they had secrecy on their side. Not anymore.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Apparently it was Bradley that leaked the helicopter gunship murders as well.

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Here is an article that is veering from the wiki topic, but is related to some extent to the hacksters.
                    It does not really deserve its own thread, but does deserve a note.

Specifically a note on how extraordinarily weak government communications protocol are.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Over the last 24 hours Gawker Media’s network of sites have been under attack from a group who have identified themselves “Gnosis,” a seemingly mysterious collective of hackers who has been falsely considered part of the 4chan-related group of renegade vigilantes knows as Anonymous. Via several private email exchanges with Mediaite, an individual claiming to represent “Gnosis” has explained both the reasoning and methodology of his actions, which has led to a compromised commenter database and a content management system.

First and foremost, it appears that new Gawker Media passwords are secure, not available to the individual claiming responsibility for the security breach, at least according to Gnosis. As Mediaite reported earlier, when asked why Gawker was being subjected to a cyber-attack, Gnosis cited “arrogance” from management and staff with regard to the hacker community:

We went after Gawker because of their outright arrogance. It took us a few hours to find a way to dump all their source code and a bit longer to find a way into their database.
                    We found an interesting quote in their Campfire logs:
                    Hamilton N.: Nick Denton Says Bring It On 4Chan, Right to My Home Address (After
                    The Jump)
                    Ryan T.: We Are Not Scared of 4chan Here at 210 Elizabeth St NY NY 10012
                    I mean if you say things like that, and attack sites like 4chan (Which we are not affiliated to) you must at least have the means to back yourself up. We considered what action we would take, and decided that the Gawkmedia “empire” needs to be brought down a peg or two. Our groups mission? We don’t have one.
                    We will be releasing the full source code dump along with the database at 9PM GMT today. You are the only outlet we have told the release time.
                    When asked about further explanation about the specific attacks, Gnosis explained:

We cannot provide any more information as to how the attack was carried out, because this could be used against us.
                    We have been cracking the database for about 17 hours and have managed to retrieve 273,789 passwords. If our release schedule wasn’t so tight we could get 500,000+. Included in the dump are passwords linked to accounts from Nasa, about every .gov domain you could imagine and hundreds from banks. One can only pray that they do not use the same password everywhere. The actual database size is 1,247,897 rows, which is 80+% of their database.
                    (Private data redacted)
                    We have had access to all of their emails for a long time as well as most of their infrastructure powering the site. Gawkmedia has possibly the worst security I have ever seen. It is scary how poor it is. Their servers run horribly outdated kernel versions, their site is filled with numerous exploitable code and their database is publicly accessible.
                    We will be releasing the full source code to their site as well as the full database dump later today or tomorrow, when we get enough press to stir up the release. We will also be releasing a text file describing Gawkers numerous security failings.
                    Regards,
                    ~Gnosis
                    Adding later in a follow up email:

The database is for the media more than anything. Releasing the source code to a site is all very well and will cause a splash, but
                    only niche users will be interested in viewing it and sharing it, because the average joe won’t really care about Gawkers (rather
                    interesting) PHP framework. However if we release the source with 1,300,000 emails and with a portion of them cracked it will (We hope) cause a bigger stir.
                    On an interesting side note there are 2650 users in the database using the password “password” or “querty”. Of these users one is registered under a .gov email address, 3 are from a .mil addres and 52 are from .edu addresses.
                    Finally, when asked if any future attacks were planned, Gnosis offered the following:

Nope, not right now. They didn’t like their frontpage being defaced with that post, so they have locked down pretty tight. We will still work on it for a while.
                    We don’t like being lumped with 4chan though, but I guess it was inevitable. People on twitter are saying “4chan’s Gnosis hacked Gawker”.
                    The email exchange came to us after our first report was published Saturday afternoon and was conducted with an individual using an untraceable email account. Also, Mediaite has shared some relevant information with Gawker sources to confirm the veracity of the hacker’s allegations, which in hindsight, have all been right on the money.

Over the last 24 hours Gawker Media's network of sites have been under attack from a group who have identified themselves "Gnosis," a seemingly mysterious collective of hackers who has been falsely considered part of the 4chan-related group of renegade vigilantes knows as Anonymous. Via several private email exchanges with Mediaite, an individual claiming to represent "Gnosis" has explained both the reasoning and methodology of his actions, which has led to a compromised commenter database and a content management system.
                    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                    sigpic

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Here is an article about leeks that also has nothing to do with the wiki topic...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leeks

WHFoods Recommendations

With their unique combination of flavonoids and sulfur-containing nutrients, the allium vegetables belong in your diet on a regular basis. There's research evidence for including at least one serving of an allium vegetable in your meal plan every day. If you're choosing leeks, make your individual portion ½ cup or greater, and try to include at least one cup of chopped leeks in your recipes.

Many people are unfamiliar with how to cook leeks or how to include them into a Healthiest Way of Eating. We recommend cutting them very thinly and preparing them by using our Healthy Sauté method of cooking. Like their allium cousins, onions and garlic, let leeks sit for at least 5 minutes after cutting and before cooking to enhance their health-promoting qualities. See the Healthiest Way of Cooking Leeks in the How to Enjoy section below.

This chart graphically details the %DV that a serving of Leeks provides for each of the nutrients of which it is a good, very good, or excellent source according to our Food Rating System. Additional information about the amount of these nutrients provided by Leeks can be found in the Food Rating System Chart. A link that takes you to the In-Depth Nutritional Profile for Leeks, featuring information over 80 nutrients, can be found under the Food Rating System Chart.

Leeks, like garlic and onions, belong to a vegetable family called the Allium vegetables. Since leeks are related to garlic and onions, they contain many of the same beneficial compounds found in these well-researched, health-promoting vegetables.

Cardiovascular Support

Leeks contain important amounts of the flavonoid kaempferol, which has repeatedly been shown to help protect our blood vessel linings from damage, including damage by overly reactive oxygen molecules. Interestingly, one of the mechanisms involved in this blood vessel protection may involve increased production of nitric oxide (NO), a naturally occurring gas that helps to dilate and relax the blood vessels, as well as decreased production of that asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA), a substance that blocks production of NO.

Often overlooked in leeks is their important concentration of the B vitamin folate. Folate is present in leeks in one of its bioactive forms (5-methyltetrahydrofolate, or 5MTHF) and it is present throughout the plant (including the full leaf portion, not only the lower leaf and bulb). While it's true that we still get about 50% more 5MTHF from the bulb than the leaves, this distribution of folate throughout the plant makes leeks a cardioprotective food from top to bottom. (Folate is a key B complex vitamin for supporting our cardiovascular system, because it helps keep our levels of homocysteine in proper balance. Excessively high levels of homocysteine are a risk factor for many cardiovascular diseases.)

Also present in leeks are impressive concentrations of antioxidant polyphenols. These polyphenols play a direct role in protecting our blood vessels and blood cells from oxidative damage. The total polyphenol content (TPC) of leeks averages about 33 milligrams of gallic acid equivalents (GAE) per 100 grams of fresh edible portion (FEP). By contrast, the TPC of red bell peppers averages 27 milligrams; cherry tomatoes, 24 milligrams; and carrots, 10 milligrams. So even though leeks are less concentrated than some of their fellow allium vegetables in terms of total polyphenols (garlic provides about 59 milligrams GAE/100g FEP, and onions provide about 76 milligrams), they are still a highly valuable food in terms of these phytonutrient antioxidants and provide us with important cardiovascular benefits for this reason.

Other Health Benefits

Unfortunately, leeks have received less research attention than their fellow allium vegetables (especially garlic and onions), and for this reason, there is less documentation of their likely health benefits. Given their substantial polyphenol content, including their notable amounts of kaempferol, we would expect to see overlap with garlic and onions in terms of support for many health problems related to oxidative stress and chronic low-level inflammation. These health problems would include atherosclerosis, type 2 diabetes, obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, and allergic airway inflammation. We would also expect to see leeks providing measurable amounts of protection against several different types of cancer, mostly likely including colorectal cancer. It's important to remember that even in the absence of research studies to confirm health benefits, leeks still belong to the same allium vegetable family as onions and garlic and contain many health-supportive substances that are similar to (or identical with) the substances in their fellow allium vegetables.

Description

Leeks, known scientifically as Allium porrum, are related to garlic, onions, shallots, and scallions. Leeks look like large scallions, having a very small bulb and a long white cylindrical stalk of superimposed layers that flows into green, tightly wrapped, flat leaves. Cultivated leeks are usually about 12 inches in length and one to two inches in diameter and feature a fragrant flavor that is reminiscent of shallots but sweeter and more subtle. Wild leeks, known as ramps, are much smaller in size, but have a stronger, more intense flavor. They are available for a short period of time each year and are often widely sought out at farmers markets when they are in season.

With a more delicate and sweeter flavor than onions, leeks add a subtle touch to recipes without overpowering the other flavors that are present. Although leeks are available throughout the year they are in season from the fall through the early part of spring when they are at their best.

The flavonoids in leeks are most concentrated in their lower leaf and bulb portion. The flavonol kaempferol is one of leeks' premiere flavonoids, and it's also most concentrated in the lower leaf and bulb. Leeks rank ahead of white onions in terms of their kaempferol content, but they still provide slightly less kaempferol than red onions. For other types of flavonoids, including quercetin, leeks appear to provide lower concentrations than most types of onions

History

Leeks enjoy a long and rich history, one that can trace its heritage back through antiquity. Thought to be native to Central Asia, they have been cultivated in this region and in Europe for thousands of years.

Leeks were prized by the ancient Greeks and Romans and were especially revered for their beneficial effect upon the throat. The Greek philosopher Aristotle credited the clear voice of the partridge to a diet of leeks, while the Roman emperor Nero supposedly ate leeks everyday to make his voice stronger.

The Romans are thought to have introduced leeks to the United Kingdom, where they were able to flourish because they could withstand cold weather. Leeks have attained an esteemed status in Wales, where they serve as this country's national emblem. The Welsh regard for leeks can be traced back to a battle that they successfully won against that Saxons in 1620, during which the Welsh soldiers placed leeks in their caps to differentiate themselves from their opponents. Today, leeks are an important vegetable in many northern European cuisines and are grown in many European countries.

How to Select and Store

Leeks should be firm and straight with dark green leaves and white necks. Good quality leeks will not be yellowed or wilted, nor have bulbs that have cracks or bruises. Since overly large leeks are generally more fibrous in texture, only purchase those that have a diameter of one and one-half inches or less. Try to purchase leeks that are of similar size so as to ensure more consistent cooking if you are planning on cooking the leeks whole. Leeks are available throughout the year, although they are in greater supply from the fall through the early part of spring.

Fresh leeks should be stored unwashed and untrimmed in the refrigerator, where they will keep fresh for between one and two weeks. Wrapping them loosely in a plastic bag will help them to retain moisture. Cooked leeks are highly perishable, and even when kept in the refrigerator, will only stay fresh for about two days. Leeks may be frozen after being blanched for two to three minutes, although they will lose some of their desirable taste and texture qualities. Leeks will keep in the freezer for about three months.

How to Enjoy

Tips for Preparing Leeks

Cut off green tops of leeks and remove outer tough leaves. Cut off root and cut leeks in half lengthwise. Fan out the leeks and rinse well under running water, leaving them intact. Cut leeks into 2-inch lengths. Holding the leek sections cut side up, cut lengthwise so that you end up with thin strips, known as the chiffonade cut, slicing until you reach the green portion. Make sure slices are cut very thin to shorten cooking time. Let leeks sit for at least 5 minutes before cooking.

Healthiest Way of Cooking Leeks

Heat 3 tablespoons of broth in 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet until it begins to steam. Add 1 pound of cut leeks. Cover and Healthy Sauté for 4 minutes. Add 2 more tablespoons of broth, reduce heat to medium low, and Healthy Sauté for 3 more minutes uncovered while stirring frequently. Toss with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.

Comment

• Blaze
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Dweebs!

Article:
                        Website Attackers Could Be Easily Traced, Researchers Say
                        Jeremy Kirk – Mon Dec 13, 8:50 am ET
                        People using a tool to conduct distributed denial-of-service (DDOS) attacks against other websites in support of WikiLeaks can easily be traced, according to computer security researchers.
                        Thousands of people have downloaded the "Low Orbit Ion Cannon," a tool that bombards a targeted website with garbled traffic in an attempt to knock it offline. The tool has been promoted by Anonymous, a loose-knit group of online campaigners that has attacked companies that cut off support for WikiLeaks since it began releasing secret U.S. diplomatic cables in late November.
                        But researchers at the University of Twente in Enschede, Holland, say it is easy for ISPs to identify those using the tool, as it takes no measures to protect the identity of its users, according to their paper.
                        There are several versions of the Low Orbit Ion Cannon: one is a client application that is downloaded by a user and can be remotely controlled via an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) or be manually configured. The other is a JavaScript-based Web site.
                        With the client application, the targeted Web site can see the real IP (Internet Protocol) address of the computer conducting the attack, the researchers wrote. The IP address can be linked to the ISP providing the service, which can then investigate which subscriber the address corresponds too. The same condition happens when someone uses the Web-based tool.
                        One method used by those conducting a DDOS attack is to configure the program to use a fake IP address, but the Low Orbit Ion Cannon does not do that. DDOS attacks can also be coordinated using a botnet, or a network of machines that have been compromised. The owners of those computers are usually unaware their computers is infected and taking part in an attack.
                        The danger with the WikiLeaks attacks is that many of those less tech-savvy people eager to join the online campaign may be unaware that they can be traced.
                        "The current attack technique can therefore be compared to overwhelming someone with letters but putting your real home address on the back of the envelope," the researchers wrote.
                        In the European Union, telecommunications operators must retain data for six months, which "means that hacktivists can still be easily trace after the attacks are over," they wrote.
                        Already, police in the Netherlands have arrested two teenagers in connection with the attacks. Dutch prosecutors said one of them was easily tracked down.
                        The DDOS attacks, dubbed Operation: Payback, by Anonymous appear to be continuing, according to security vendor Imperva. The Low Orbit Ion Cannon has been downloaded about 67,000 times, Imperva said.
                        MasterCard, which stopped processing payments for WikiLeaks, was attacked again over the weekend, with statistics showing it experienced some downtime, according to Netcraft. A vast majority of security vendors are now labeling the Low Orbit Ion Cannon a threat and will block the program, Imperva said.
                        Imperva also said it has been monitoring some of the communication between people coordinating the attacks. Those attackers are recommending to develop a system by which people are lured to some other content, such as pornography, but by visiting the website would invisibly launch the DDOS JavaScript tool.

Comment left:
                        What a propaganda piece.

Logic ->
                        The program can be unknowingly down loaded.
                        We can trace the computers that are used.

~> Great you can trace.
                        Send tech support around to decontaminate the computers.

The only way to know if the person did this with intent is if they confess.

Intent remember that part of what constitutes a crime.

I feel for you, but I do not think that the ISPs are going to pay for the decontamination.

Attempt to buzz up so I could monitor if my comment is logged properly
                        response:

Story Not Found
                        • We're sorry, but that story does not appear to be in the Buzz system anymore. We're already on the case, trying to figure out what went wrong. In the meantime, please check out some of the Web's most remarkable content on Yahoo! Buzz. Or, send us feedback

Fine, dweebs...... instead of the 5 or so people I have on my contact list noticing my comment.... blah blah blah. rant-a-tant-tant

Fuckin dweebs
                        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                        sigpic

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Back to the correct topic...

VOA News

A lawyer for the founder of the WikiLeaks website says a secret grand jury is meeting outside Washington to consider charges in the release of thousands of sensitive U.S. documents.

The lawyer, Mark Stephens, told David Frost on Al-Jazeera television that they have heard from Swedish authorities that there has been a "secretly empaneled" grand jury in Alexandria, Virginia.

Since late last month, WikiLeaks has been slowly releasing some 250,000 U.S. diplomatic cables. It previously released thousands of U.S. military documents on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder says he has authorized significant steps to be taken in response to the latest leak. He did not elaborate.

The founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, is currently being held by British authorities while he fights extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning about allegations of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion. Assange denies any wrongdoing.

Comment

• Blaze
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

I know quite a few people that would pray thanks for a decontamination of their computers, just from all the porny sites they have visited.
                            All Hail the Julius Caesar! :tongue0011:
                            sigpic

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Blaze - Medicated for your protection...

Comment

• Blaze
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by ELVIS
                                Blaze - Medicated for your protection...

Greetings Nurse!
                                Now go put on a good nurse uniform and dance for us! Dance I tell you! Dance!

sigpic

Comment

Working...