Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Aside from the insurance corporations, the REAL death panels are in Batshit Brewer's Arizona. And no, I'm not talking about lunatic teabaggers with 30 round Glocks......

Patient Cut From Transplant List Dies: Arizona's Death Panel?

PHOENIX (CBS/AP) A second person cut from the transplant list has died in Arizona. The death "most likely" resulted from the state's refusal to pay for certain transplants, a hospital spokeswoman said Wednesday.

"His condition has gotten more severe since he was taken off the list," said University Medical Center spokeswoman Jo Marie Gellerman.

The patient's worsening condition would have elevated his place on the liver donor list, she added. But the point was moot.

The patient could not afford the transplant and Arizona refused to pay for it. Arizona reduced Medicaid coverage for transplants on Oct. 1 under cuts included to help close a shortfall in the state budget enacted last spring.

Gellerman said the patient died Dec. 28. He had hepatitis C. Medical privacy requirements prevented the release of any information about the patient.

This is the second death linked to Arizona's controversial cost cutting. Last November, the Associated Press and others told the story of Mark Price, a Phoenix-area man desperately in need of a bone-marrow transplant. He couldn't afford it and state's Medicaid program wasn't angling to pay for it.

After the press coverage, anonymous donors offered to pay for the transplant, but Price died from complications in preparation for the surgery.

"I don't want to get into any of the politics involved in it, but it backfired because now suddenly it looks as if Arizona is making decisions as to life or death of patients," said Dr. Rainer Gruessner, chair of the University of Arizona Surgery Department

He predicts that nearly 30 Arizonans will die this year because of the state's decision to cut certain transplants.
    "Failure to restore this funding is a death sentence for people who have committed no crimes," he said.

The state hopes to save $1.4 million from the transplant cuts. Arizona faces a projected $1.4 billion shortfall in its next state budget.

There is a certain irony here.

During last year's federal battle over President Obama's health care legislation, some Republicans claimed his program promoted "death panels" which they seemed to suggest would involve government bureaucrats deciding who lives and who dies.

The health care bill did include language which paid doctors to offer end-of-life counseling. That was eventually removed.

Facing a tough budget situation, however, Arizona has instituted what critics say is much closer to these so-called "death panels" than anything that ever appeared in the federal government's health care legislation.

"Can this really be happening in the United States?" Forbes columnist Rick Ungar wrote. "I cannot help but be struck by the emptiness of the argument put forth by those who suggest that government need not look out for these people because charitable Americans will always step up and help in these circumstances."

"It's something that probably needs to be discussed," Gov. Brewer said of the difficult choices. "Evey body is concerned about it, as I am. The bottom line is ... that was one of those areas that we could cut and we moved forward on that."

Ninety-seven people remain on Arizona's Medicare transplant list. Their futures are uncertain.

Link
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

The states are broke and the Federal Government is headed to default. The Europeans are hitting the streets angry over 200% tuition increases and the Germans are tired of floating the European Union and want out of it. American's right now are still too passive and in denial still. Bush's TARP and Obama's stimulus hasn't worked. The Federal Reserve sloshing $14 trillion under the table is buying some time. Look at the DOW right now. For the average person, they are losing and inflation on food and fuel hasn't started to hit hard yet.

It's coming apart folks and the politicians have no solution other than to start more wars as a distraction or clamp down to try and quell civil unrest. They can't fix the economy and they know it.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

They could fix the economy easily with just three steps:

1) End the useless occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, and any other military actions in any country which is not a direct and actual threat to the United States. (Actual does not mean "as defined by PNAC or their bastard friends in the Likud party, or by the oil corporations")

2) Close ALL tax loopholes.

3) Roll back the tax "cuts" for tax dodging millionaires and billionaires to where they were before the BCE tax "cuts" of 1981, and reinstate the estate tax. Nobody has the right to live off of what their great great grandparents did, especially if they have contributed nothing of value to this planet, like the BCE. Or Paris Hilton.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          They could fix the economy easily with just three steps:

1) End the useless occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, and any other military actions in any country which is not a direct and actual threat to the United States. (Actual does not mean "as defined by PNAC or their bastard friends in the Likud party, or by the oil corporations")

2) Close ALL tax loopholes.

3) Roll back the tax "cuts" for tax dodging millionaires and billionaires to where they were before the BCE tax "cuts" of 1981, and reinstate the estate tax. Nobody has the right to live off of what their great great grandparents did, especially if they have contributed nothing of value to this planet, like the BCE. Or Paris Hilton.
          Dream on. Inflation is on it's way and the bailout money has been stolen. The country is divided and the wars go on.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

End the useless occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, and any other military actions in any country which is not a direct and actual threat to the United States. (Actual does not mean "as defined by PNAC or their bastard friends in the Likud party, or by the oil corporations")
            I was hoping Obama would declare victory and pull out. He put more in. Not until we get a president who actually represents the people will these wars come to a stop.

Close ALL tax loopholes.
            How about getting rid of the federal income tax all together and go for a national value added tax? It's a fair tax because everyone will pay it and the rich buy more so they will pay more.

Roll back the tax "cuts" for tax dodging millionaires and billionaires to where they were before the BCE tax "cuts" of 1981, and reinstate the estate tax. Nobody has the right to live off of what their great great grandparents did, especially if they have contributed nothing of value to this planet, like the BCE. Or Paris Hilton.
            Hell yeah. Let's just not make wills anymore. Also, it will be great to see family farms and ranches get seized by the US government and given to corporations because people don't have a right to live off of what their parents and grandparents built.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

At least in Chile you can still yell and scream at the old rich bastards and they seem to enjoy it.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFWzDFjBKUw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFWzDFjBKUw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                I was hoping Obama would declare victory and pull out. He put more in. Not until we get a president who actually represents the people will these wars come to a stop.

How about getting rid of the federal income tax all together and go for a national value added tax? It's a fair tax because everyone will pay it and the rich buy more so they will pay more.

Hell yeah. Let's just not make wills anymore. Also, it will be great to see family farms and ranches get seized by the US government and given to corporations because people don't have a right to live off of what their parents and grandparents built.
                If God was with them, wouldn't they have no issue over-coming that tribulation?
                Just saying~
                "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                sigpic

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Blaze
                  If God was with them, wouldn't they have no issue over-coming that tribulation?
                  Just saying~
                  ???????

Whatever you are smoking it's making you type weird.

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Oh of course... we have never heard of lack-luster keyboards. ;D
                    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                    sigpic

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      The states are broke and the Federal Government is headed to default. The Europeans are hitting the streets angry over 200% tuition increases and the Germans are tired of floating the European Union and want out of it. American's right now are still too passive and in denial still. Bush's TARP and Obama's stimulus hasn't worked. The Federal Reserve sloshing $14 trillion under the table is buying some time. Look at the DOW right now. For the average person, they are losing and inflation on food and fuel hasn't started to hit hard yet.

It's coming apart folks and the politicians have no solution other than to start more wars as a distraction or clamp down to try and quell civil unrest. They can't fix the economy and they know it.
                      Yeah we're protesting about cuts in stuff you never and will never even have, even though your country is richer and pay virtually the same taxes.

You're being screwed.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Heh....tell us about it. We LIVE here.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I wouldn't mind so much if BBB was one of the 1% at the top of the US getting all the cream, then he would just be a selfish moral vacuum.

As he's much further down he's just a very silly person, a turkey campaigning on the internet for more Christmases.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            I wouldn't mind so much if BBB was one of the 1% at the top of the US getting all the cream, then he would just be a selfish moral vacuum.

As he's much further down he's just a very silly person, a turkey campaigning on the internet for more Christmases.
                            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

Working...