X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacksmar
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Link 2 - the first word? Amtrak
    Since the first bailout in 1970, and 30 billion dollars later, Amtrak is no closer to service sustain¬ability today than it was in 1971 when the system began service.
    Amtrak annual federal bailout: 1.3 BILLION. 1970-2008
    An over used and under funded bridge collapse in Minnesota made these figures available.
    Do you want load factors to go with your OOPS?

Trains are a government handout. Take a few minutes more next time.

Fuck Limbaugh, he's another fucking drug abuser like Ubama, Gore, Clinton, Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, Staley, Bloomfield, Bolin, Farndon, and Cobain.
    A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• SunisinuS
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • May 2010

"There isn’t a train anywhere in the U.S. that makes a profit"

Lol link 2. First thing it says is that it made a profit.

Follow the bouncing ball please. I just rebutted your lack of investigation that would have backed up your statement.

You said it, I shred it. Not really my fault if you think about it. Thinking would be souper huh?

I don't have any respect for Amtrak either. But if you are going to make such a broad statement, you might want to research it.
      Last edited by SunisinuS; 03-04-2011, 06:19 PM. Reason: You are still thinking politics. I am thinking trains. Choo Choo!
      Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• fifth element
        Commando
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kristy
        So sorry but a high-speed rail in Florida makes no sense when you consider the demographic of the population there. Americans, especially older Americans are not going to let go of their cars so easily for public transportation no matter how fast it is. Plus, Miami is not a major metropolitan area such as L.A. It would make more sense to put it in Texas than Florida.
        many older Americans are forced, (bad hearing, bad eyesight, etc), to let go of their cars and would EMBRACE a decent public transportation system.....
        and that is EVERYWHERE, not just in Florida or in California,
        although I do agree that we have to start somewhere, and the chances are that that somewhere will be on one Coast or the other....
        if for no other reason than because the Mid-West usually seems to trail behind, taking a "wait and see" approach
        “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• jacksmar
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I'm pretty darn good at thinking.
          "Amtrak’s new Washington, DC-Lynchburg (VA) service" - Link 2

Amtrak = Government subsidy
          For any Amtrak line to have made a profit.....EVER......Amtrak would have paid back 30 Billion + to the U.S. coffers and THEN.... made a profit above our loss.

The story reads the line made more money than expected and the FACT is Amtrak, a government subsidy, owes everyone for trains and service since 1970.

The truth in all of the bullshit is Ubama lost again.

The REAL truth is trains are a great fucking idea just about everywhere. The unions squeezed rail out years ago for trucks.

The point is if the Fed needs high speed rail in Florida, they can build the power plants to self sustain and not use FPL, EVER. And the Fed needs to have their accounts in order first.

(Ubama's ass may blown sunshine but it doesn't have any cash shooting out. Hell, this dumb unlettered tard didn't know his own fucking credit card was bad 1992. Actually he knew, he just thought he could coast.)
          A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by fifth element
            many older Americans are forced, (bad hearing, bad eyesight, etc), to let go of their cars and would EMBRACE a decent public transportation system.....
            and that is EVERYWHERE, not just in Florida or in California,
            although I do agree that we have to start somewhere, and the chances are that that somewhere will be on one Coast or the other....
            if for no other reason than because the Mid-West usually seems to trail behind, taking a "wait and see" approach
            There is public transportation but outside of big cities, nobody uses it. I can think of a college town about 100 miles from here that has all these green and white new buses running around town with nobody on them. It's all government subsidized. They have nice new bus stops and buses but you never see anyone riding the buses. Now in Salt Lake City they built a light rail system and commuter rail system that is working very well because they tied it into the city bus system. I actually use that quite a bit when I go down there.

When I lived in New York I rarely drove into New York City. I would just get on the train in Yonkers and take the train in.

One problem in Salt Lake City is they didn't make the parking lots big enough at the train stations. Some people have to drive a car to get to the public transportation.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

SLC also needs to time their traffic lights better, so you aren't sitting on the tracks when a trains coming, and find yourself in a face to face meeting with Elohim and Joseph Smith sooner than you had planned (which is what almost happened to me last time I was there.)
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• fifth element
                Commando
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                There is public transportation but outside of big cities, nobody uses it. I can think of a college town about 100 miles from here that has all these green and white new buses running around town with nobody on them. It's all government subsidized. They have nice new bus stops and buses but you never see anyone riding the buses. Now in Salt Lake City they built a light rail system and commuter rail system that is working very well because they tied it into the city bus system. I actually use that quite a bit when I go down there.

When I lived in New York I rarely drove into New York City. I would just get on the train in Yonkers and take the train in.

One problem in Salt Lake City is they didn't make the parking lots big enough at the train stations. Some people have to drive a car to get to the public transportation.
                Kudos to the system in SLC. I have also used it, and thought how nice it would be if all major cities had a set up like that.
                now, public transportation.
                in many small areas the only stops those little busses make are the store, bank and library...(and mall if the city is big enough)
                the County transport around here sucks, and that'sthe flat out truth.
                “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• fifth element
                  Commando
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by FORD
                  SLC also needs to time their traffic lights better, so you aren't sitting on the tracks when a trains coming, and find yourself in a face to face meeting with Elohim and Joseph Smith sooner than you had planned (which is what almost happened to me last time I was there.)
                  and yet, they have one of the better transport systems around in this day and age. You'd thinkthat perhaps someone would start taking a look at the plusses and minuses of having systems similarto theirs.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Metropolitan Salt Lake City is actually liberal and Democrat. All the conservative Mormons moved to the suburbs. That's why the mormon church is spending billions of dollars buying up downtown because they don't control it politically anymore and they just can't move the Salt Lake temple to Provo. If that temple wasn't there, the mormon church would move it's headquarters down to Brigham Young University.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

They had light rail in Portland when I lived there but it was stupid because it didn't go anywhere but one suburb. What makes it work in Salt Lake City is the city runs the length of the mountains and the Union Pacific right of way was in the right place as well so they lucked out because the city was just laid out perfect for such a system. Also they have larger than normal city blocks and wide streets because Brigham Young laid his cities out that way. He wanted to be able to turn a wagon and a team of horses around in the street and have enough room on each block so each home could grow it's own food supply. When the city grew, those big roomy streets and big blocks worked for light rail. They can put four cars on a train going through the streets.
                      Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-05-2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Maybe Elohim gave old Brigham a vision of the future and told him to leave room for the trains?
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Maybe Elohim gave old Brigham a vision of the future and told him to leave room for the trains?
                          Well apparently Elohim told Brigham to put in empty shafts in the temple and later, the elevators fit perfectly. All I know is I went into a restroom in the basement of the Salt Lake temple and the urnal was placed underneath where a spiral staircase is above the restroom. A little kid could stand up and take a piss no problem but if you are six feet tall, you have to lean back while pissing. If Elohim inspired this, then the Mormon god has some flaws.
                          Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-05-2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

All this talk about trains not making money is not clear thinking. Most train systems are subsidised but not as much as cars are in the US.

Spending a trillion on oil wars is a big subsidy.

Also there are huge hidden profits from infrastructure. For example I bet a fuck of a lot of tourists would take a train down to the Keys.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, but a lot of them queers go to Key West, and Republicans wouldn't want to encourage that either.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

You would know where queers go...

Comment

Working...