• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The hits keep coming...

Dean Martin roast humor aside...

Oh yeah, pRick's toast...racist sympathizing bitch... I reeeeeeally wanna see him try to debate this shit with Obama.

Perry once defended Confederate symbols

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Eleven years ago, when the NAACP stepped up a campaign to remove the Confederate battle flag from statehouses and other government buildings across the South, it found an opponent in Rick Perry.

Texas had a pair of bronze plaques with symbols of the Confederacy displayed in its state Supreme Court building. Perry, then lieutenant governor, said they should stay put, arguing that Texans "should never forget our history."

It's a position Perry has taken consistently when the legacy of the Civil War has been raised, as have officials in many of the other former Confederate states. But while defense of Confederate symbols and Southern institutions can still be good politics below the Mason-Dixon line, the subject can appear in a different light when officials seek national office.

For Perry, now Texas governor for 11 years and in the top tier of Republican presidential candidates, a racial issue is already dogging him.

He took criticism over the weekend for a rock outside the Texas hunting camp his family once leased that had the name N****head painted on it. Perry's campaign says the governor's father painted over the rock to cover the name soon after he began leasing the site in the early 1980s and says the Perry family never controlled, owned or managed the property. But rival Herman Cain, the only black Republican in the race, says the rock symbolizes Perry's insensitivity to race.

A related issue may rise this fall when Texas decides whether to allow specialty license plates featuring the Confederate flag. The plates have been requested by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, a nonprofit organization Perry has supported over the years. A state board he appointed will decide.

The NAACP says its initiative against "glorification" of slave-state symbols remains ongoing. "The romanticism around the Old South," said Hilary Shelton, director of the NAACP's Washington Bureau. "It's a view of history that ignores how racism became a tool to maintain a system of supremacy and dominance."

Perry campaign spokesman Mark Miner did not return messages seeking comment on the matter. But Granvel Block, the Texas Division commander of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, said the organization appreciated Perry's position on such issues.

"I would give him high praise for saying it," Block said. "Honoring your ancestors, it's something that the Bible teaches."

The Confederate battle flag has been chief target for the NAACP. The organization called for a boycott of South Carolina in 2000 for flying the banner over its statehouse. The state moved the flag to a capitol memorial. In 2003, Georgia replaced its state flag, which included the Confederate battle standard, with one that combined other elements from previous state flags. Other institutions have scaled back their displays of Confederate heritage. The University of Mississippi retired Colonel Rebel as its on-field mascot.

In January 2000 the NAACP asked Texas to remove the Confederate battle flag from plaques in the entryway of a building housing the state Supreme Court and Court of Appeals, saying it undermined the notion of judicial equality. One of the 11-inch by 20-inch bronze plaques featured the seal of the Confederacy and the other the image of the battle flag and quotations from Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Perry wrote to the Sons of Confederate Veterans in March 2000 that, "although this is an emotional issue, I want you to know that I oppose efforts to remove Confederate monuments, plaques and memorials from public property."

"I also believe that communities should decide whether statues or other memorials are appropriate for their community," Perry wrote in the letter, one of several obtained by The Associated Press under a public information request. "I believe that Texans should remember the past and learn from it."

He added, "We should never forget our history, but dwelling on the 19th century takes needed attention away from our future in the 21st century."

Perry elaborated publically on the issue, saying, "I think you've got a slippery slope when you start saying we're going to start taking down every plaque or monument."

He wasn't the only prominent Texan defending the plaques. Then-Gov. George W. Bush, himself running for president, initially said they should remain but then reversed himself and authorized the state's General Services Commission to replace the plaques with new ones saying equal justice is available to all Texans "regardless of race, creed or color."

The floor of the Texas Capitol's rotunda still bears the seal of the Confederacy, and statues on the grounds memorialize Lee and Confederate soldiers. But civil rights organizations consider the battle flag the most objectionable symbol.

Public officials in Texas, as well as in the other Southern states, are called upon periodically to honor Confederate causes because related organizations observe its anniversaries. Block said the Sons of Confederate Veterans was founded in 1896 and has 2,500 members statewide. Also active is the Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

In a 2005 letter, Perry welcomed attendees of a benefit hosted by the Sons of Confederate Veterans. "By learning about the past," he wrote, "we honor our ancestors' memories and contributions, and appreciate the people and events that preceded the present." Perry's great-great-grandfather David H. Hamilton fought at Gettysburg with the First Texas Infantry.

Two years later, Perry issued a "Message from the Governor" honoring Lawrence Sullivan "Sul" Ross on what would have been his 169th birthday. He noted Ross' service as a Confederate brigadier general, two-time Texas governor and president of what became Texas A&M University, calling him "one of the greats on whose shoulders our modern day Texas rests." The Sons of Confederate Veterans maintains a college scholarship fund in Ross' honor — despite accusations that Ross was behind the murder of black prisoners of war in Mississippi.

Today, Block's organization wants to use the Confederate flag license plate to raise money to pay for markers on Confederate soldiers' graves. "I know that to some people it's an issue," he said. "But our purpose is to honor our ancestors and to educate the public on the true cause of the war."

The state Department of Motor Vehicles board tied 4-4 in an April vote because one of its members, Ramsay Gillman of Houston, was absent. Gillman then died and Perry chose a new appointee, Raymond Palacios Jr. of El Paso.

Palacios declined to comment on the issue. Members won't vote on the plate until at least Nov. 9. A similar request from the Sons of Confederate Veterans was denied two years ago, but the criteria have been expanded, opening the door for approval this time. Texas has approved 276 specialty plates.

Perry hasn't commented. "This is a matter before the board," said Lucy Nashed, a governor's office spokeswoman.

Matt Glazer, executive director of Progress, Texas, a left-leaning advocacy group, said of Block's organization: "If they want to put a sticker on their car, or fly the Confederate flag at their home or business, that's up to them. But the state itself should not associate itself with this racist relic."

Yeah, "don't forget" your history...but at the same time, don't go making symbols and glorifying the fact that you were on the WRONG SIDE OF IT and expect not to get called out as a doucebag. Those ancestors he refers to weren't doing anything honorable.
    Last edited by jhale667; 10-04-2011, 03:07 PM.
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Forget Obama, Perry has to deal with Herman Cain first and from the looks of the polls Mr. Cain seems quite popular with the Republicans. Perry is toast. Nix the racism bit and he still is hopelessly unqualified to be president. His grades in school will lash him and the biggest bomb ready to drop on him is his increasing the size of government in his state and spending like an Aryan in a Pawn shop littered with nazi collectables. LOL!
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Guitar Shark
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

I think the fact that Bush Jr. was elected twice pretty much decides the question of how important school grades and intellect are to the majority of American voters.
        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• hambon4lif
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          Forget Obama, Perry has to deal with Herman Cain first and from the looks of the polls Mr. Cain seems quite popular with the Republicans.
          Right now he is, but once they start pulling all of the skeletons out of his closet, they won't be able to sell him either.

Besides, at this point in our society, the race card has been completely exhausted. There's no way anyone can get any more mileage out of it than they already have.
          To see someone attempting to build an entire political platform on it is beyond hysterical.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Forget Obama, Perry has to deal with Herman Cain first and from the looks of the polls Mr. Cain seems quite popular with the Republicans.
            Actually - the Repukes turned on Cain as soon as he commented on the situation. He said it "showed insensitivity" on Perry's part (pretty benign statement if you think about what he COULD have said), and they immediately accused CAIN of "playing the race card" (!!) ... can't have it both ways there, Teahadists...
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
              I think the fact that Bush Jr. was elected twice pretty much decides the question of how important school grades and intellect are to the majority of American voters.
              If he had actually been elected either time, I might agree with that. Ironically, it was 5 well educated guys with law degrees who appointed Chimpy as pResident.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

What's sad is that most people in the Republican party are not happy with the choices so far........

They practically begged Chris Christie to run and he just announced he's not.

Perry doesn't have a hope in hell of winning. Mitt will get destroyed by Obama in the debates.

WTF happened to the Republican party? It's nothing but a freak show.
                Originally posted by vandeleur
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by kwame k
                  Perry doesn't have a hope in hell of winning. Mitt will get destroyed by Obama in the debates.
                  Do the debates really matter a fuck?

I remember watching the Bush Kerry debates, if it went on them then Kerry would have walked the election.

Almost 60 million people voted McCain with a heart condition after the Palin Biden debate.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Some of these idiots in the "red states" actually believe that the President of the United States should be as dumb as they are. That's why they latch on to morons like Chimp, Palin, Bachmann and Perry. Or even Reagan, for that matter, who probably wasn't an actual imbecile, but became the equivalent of one for a good chunk of his term, due to medical reasons.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I would like to take this time to remind all of you how fucking lost and cluless you are. All 25 of you minus Chef and PB. The rest of you n****** can fuck off.
                      Last edited by chefcraig; 10-06-2011, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                        I would like to take this time to remind all of you how fucking lost and cluless you are. All 25 of you minus Chef and PB. The rest of you n****** can fuck off.
                        The hamster fell out of the little wheel in your head, but you went ahead and posted anyway....

.....marvelous!
                        Last edited by chefcraig; 10-06-2011, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Some of these idiots in the "red states" actually believe that the President of the United States should be as dumb as they are. That's why they latch on to morons like Chimp, Palin, Bachmann and Perry. Or even Reagan, for that matter, who probably wasn't an actual imbecile, but became the equivalent of one for a good chunk of his term, due to medical reasons.
                          Originally posted by Jagermeister
                          I rest my case
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Inbred troll says wha?

Originally posted by Jerkoffmeister
                            I would like to take this time to remind all of you that I'm a huge piece of shit. Gotta run, late for a Klan meeting...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• ashstralia
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Feb 2004

just while we're on the subject of racist ignoramuses, did ELVIS the good christian ever come back?

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ashstralia
                                just while we're on the subject of racist ignoramuses, did ELVIS the good christian ever come back?
                                yes, he posts as clara the green carrot now
                                Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

Working...