Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• knuckleboner
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      The fascism card is overplayed here. But under this shit legislation written by record industry and hollywood buffoons whom don't understand the 'net, sites like Wikipedia can be fined for just linking sites like Piratebay--even if they're just connecting an expository article on PB...

This bill WILL stifle free expression and cede a good deal control of the net over to corporations and gov't enterprises...
      i agree with you about SOPA, but Unchainme wasn't referring to SOPA. he was talking about an event that happened under existing law, which is what i was responding to.

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

So much for that...for now.

SOPA stopped: Chief sponsor delays action indefinitely

YAHOO/DIGITAL TRENDS

Immediately following Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-NV) decision to postpone a full vote on the “PROTECT IP Act” (PIPA), which was originally scheduled for Tuesday, Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX), chief sponsor of the “Stop Online Piracy Act” (SOPA), has announced that he will delay further consideration of the contentious anti-piracy bill in the House “until there is wider agreement on a solution.” Earlier this week, Smith said that he would resume markup hearings on SOPA by the House Judiciary Committee, of which he is chairman, in February.

The interruption of both bills follows Wednesday’s mass online blackout held in protest of the companion anti-piracy bills.

“I have heard from the critics and I take seriously their concerns regarding proposed legislation to address the problem of online piracy,” said Smith in a statement. “It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products.”

This statement stands in stark contrast to Smith’s earlier remarks about the opposition to SOPA and PIPA, in which brushed off their warnings that the bills could put and end to the free and open Internet as we know it as illegitimate, and without merit.

“The problem of online piracy is too big to ignore,” Smith added. “American intellectual property industries provide 19 million high-paying jobs and account for more than 60 percent of U.S. exports. The theft of America’s intellectual property costs the U.S. economy more than $100 billion annually and results in the loss of thousands of American jobs. Congress cannot stand by and do nothing while American innovators and job creators are under attack.”

“The online theft of American intellectual property is no different than the theft of products from a store. It is illegal and the law should be enforced both in the store and online,” he said.

Prior to Wednesday’s blackout, which saw more than 75,000 websites “go black” in protest, SOPA and PIPA enjoyed the support of 80 members of Congress, while just 31 members stood in opposition to these bills. By Thursday, the balance of power shifted dramatically, with only 63 members in both houses of Congress in support of SOPA/PIPA, and 122 opposed, according to ProPublica.

While the delay of SOPA and PIPA is testament to the power of the opposition movement to sway Congress, it is also obvious that the fight is far from over. Both Sen. Reid and Rep. Smith have vowed to continue the fight against piracy, and could revive these bills — or others like them — at any time.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Unchainme
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2005

Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Maher is right about the theft and the guests are right about the door being opened for government abuse. What the the politicians have demonstrated by their actions is they are for sale and they don't care about humanity in general. So give them more power and yes, they will abuse it. The corporations who buy the most politicians will use the new power to shut their competition down and then the politicians themselves will use the power to shut down media sources that are exposing their crimes and abuses.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

A couple of notes:

-Bill, we're in the middle of a TERRIBLE recession. If I were in your shoes, allowing someone to enjoy my stupid documentary for free were to allow them to do at no cost to their food budget and keeping their house warm. I'd keep my damn mouth shut, and thank god I'm in a warm house with food and a roof over your head, rather than bitch about the money you could have made.

-Of course you'd be for SOPA. You have nothing to lose. You're freedom of speech will be guaranteed, You have the ability to purchase music, and other media at your own free will with little to no say so against your pocket. You also don't need the internet because you've for some odd reason, have made it on the world of standup to the point of having your own show on HBO, and have access to MILLIONS of viewers. Other comedians and entertainers are not so fortunate.

-Also, for someone as left leaning as you, you sure seem to back the establishment on quite a few things.
              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I would say a guy like Bill Maher has made more money off the internet than he has lost. The Grateful Dead was one of the richest rock bands in history. They also allowed their fans to make boot leg recordings, films, and photos. Their concerts were always a really free environment with people in the parking lot even selling unlicensed Grateful Dead merchandise. The band didn't care. It didn't seem to hurt their bottom line to the point to where they couldn't pay the overhead and were starving. People still bought the band's products. I think as long as you treat your fans good and have a good quality product, enough people will purchase what you have to sell that you can make a good living. The problem is people get too hung up on wanting to get every penny. That mentality is what killed the whole enjoyment of rock and roll. It's no fun anymore.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Don't get comfortable about SOPA being dead...

If they wind up losing using the line about software piracy and theft, they'll come back with a line about protecting children. Mark my words.
                  I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• knuckleboner
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                    A couple of notes:

If I were in your shoes, allowing someone to enjoy my stupid documentary for free were to allow them to do at no cost to their food budget and keeping their house warm.
                    and if it were your documentary, there is nothing stopping you from doing that. the problem is that right now there is little to nothing that can be done to stop somebody from taking it for free if you didn't want them to do it. if it's your documentary, it should be your choice.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The SOPA bill was the equivalent of trying to get rid of real life pirates by banning parrots and eye patches.

Comment

Working...