Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

That's what surprises me about the Grandpa Paul supporters......

Deregulating is what got us in this mess and regulating or putting back the safeguards will get us out of this mess.

Make it so banks aren't too big to fail.

Stop the insider trading in Congress.

Hang the speculators by their balls.

Make and keep a law that never lets this happen again......like they had

Throwing away every regulation and letting the market correct itself has never and will never work!
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Feb 2008

Since we're spamming vids here, this was an eye opener.....

<object width = "512" height = "328" > <param name = "movie" value = "http://www-tc.pbs.org/s3/pbs.videoportal-prod.cdn/media/swf/PBSPlayer.swf" > </param><param name="flashvars" value="video=1471123509&player=viral&chapter=1" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param > <param name = "allowscriptaccess" value = "always" > </param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param ><embed src="http://www-tc.pbs.org/s3/pbs.videoportal-prod.cdn/media/swf/PBSPlayer.swf" flashvars="video=1471123509&player=viral&chapter=1 " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="328" bgcolor="#000000"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #808080; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 512px;">Watch <a style="text-decoration:none !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#4eb2fe !important;" href="http://video.pbs.org/video/1471123509" target="_blank">The Journal: Achieving Financial Reform</a> on PBS. See more from <a style="text-decoration:none !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#4eb2fe !important;" href="http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/index-flash.html" target="_blank">Bill Moyers.</a></p>
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Dr. Love
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
        That's what surprises me about the Grandpa Paul supporters......

Deregulating is what got us in this mess and regulating or putting back the safeguards will get us out of this mess.

Make it so banks aren't too big to fail.

Stop the insider trading in Congress.

Hang the speculators by their balls.

Make and keep a law that never lets this happen again......like they had

Throwing away every regulation and letting the market correct itself has never and will never work!
        Actually, most Ron Paul supporters believe that changing the system would have prevented the housing crisis in the first place, for a few reasons:

1.) Without a Federal Reserve system keep interest rates artificially low and printing money like crazy, people wouldn't have had the incentive to borrow money the way they did and banks wouldn't have had the incentive to lend it as they did (i.e. there is risk). How many times did you hear people say stupid shit like, "Interest rates will never be this low again!" and "House prices are only going to go up!" If you had a basic understanding of math you knew it couldn't possibly be true if you forecast houses prices over 10 years. It got to a point where either no one could afford a house or the value of money would crash dramatically. Every one of my coworkers bought a house for these reasons. I was the only one that didn't, because it made no sense.

2.) Without an implicit federal guarantee for programs like freddie and fannie, banks wouldn't have lended like they did because they wouldn't have had reason to believe that the government wouldn't let the system collapse (i.e. there is risk). Banks have to assess the risk of lending to a customer and set their own interest rate based on the amount of risk they believe they will be taking with the individual, and won't lend to people that don't qualify. That actually sounds a lot like today, now that risk has been re-introduced to the equation. And it should be that way -- if you can't afford a house, you shouldn't get a loan to get it.

3.) Without programs like the FDIC, people would have a reason to view banks differently. How are they being run? Can I trust them? Right now, the government guarantees your money and everyone feels safe to deposit their cash. That's great! Except you don't really care how morally corrupt the banks are or how shady their practices are (unless they are doing it to you, the consumer). Without that sort of intrusion, people have to keep an eye on their banks to make sure they are being managed in a way that protects the depositor (who is an investor). People will pull their money out of banks that they don't trust, and the banks will then have to compete to truly draw depositors by distinguishing themselves and their services.

Will it be more risky? Of course! That's the whole point ... By introducing risk you encourage people to take greater oversight in their own lives, making intelligent decisions. It encourages the PEOPLE to be involved and understand the consequences of decisions instead of ceding that power to the GOVERNMENT and trusting our elected officials to protect us while getting donations from the very groups they should be protecting us from. THAT is crazy.

In the end, will some people get burned? Probably. But I bet it will be less frequent and affect fewer people that got burned in the last blow up (the housing bubble) because those same people will be watching like a hawk to protect themselves, as they should.

To suggest that deregulation will make this problem worse I think undersells the intelligence and capacity of people and companies to inherently try to safeguard their own interests against risk. I don't need the government to stop me from making bad decisions, and I have the ability to punish companies that I think are acting in a way that I refuse to support.

So, that's what surprises me about non-RP supporters. I'm not sure if you think people are stupid, or need the government to protect them, or just haven't thought through what has happened, why it has happened, and whether or not the government has REALLY been able to protect you, and if you think it's just coincidental that they are colluding with the same groups you think they should protect you from.

The more power you give the government, they more incentive you give corporations and other groups to corrupt it to gain control of that power.
        I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Dr. Love
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Oh, and a final point -- why should my money be taken (by force) from me to protect other people from their own stupidity? What makes that right?

Why is that better than letting me choose if I want to help those people by donating to the appropriate charities (and making that tax-deductable)? Why do I not get a choice in the matter? What makes the government better able to determine where my money should go (and it goes usually to the corporations I don't want to support, because they've bought all the politicians).

Be critical thinkers. Don't believe everything you've seen on TV or read on the internet or been taught in school without thinking it through. Question things.
          Last edited by Dr. Love; 02-04-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

I think I've made that same exact post in the past...

Comment

• knuckleboner
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
              Oh, and a final point -- why should my money be taken (by force) from me to protect other people from their own stupidity? What makes that right?

Why is that better than letting me choose if I want to help those people by donating to the appropriate charities (and making that tax-deductable)? Why do I not get a choice in the matter? What makes the government better able to determine where my money should go (and it goes usually to the corporations I don't want to support, because they've bought all the politicians).

Be critical thinkers. Don't believe everything you've seen on TV or read on the internet or been taught in school without thinking it through. Question things.
              same reason my money's taken from me to pay for your highways. or why our money is taken from us to pay for the military.

i hate to tell you, but you live in a society. it's not a random collection of huts.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Wrong...

That's not what the Doc is talking about...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                  same reason my money's taken from me to pay for your highways. or why our money is taken from us to pay for the military.

i hate to tell you, but you live in a society. it's not a random collection of huts.
                  Exactly. A society that is falling apart.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Dr. Love
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner

KB, you know those things aren't anywhere near the same as what I'm talking about.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

What's up Doc ??

I've been wanting to say that...

Comment

• Dr. Love
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Seems like Dr. Paul is having an effect on the republican field... now all three of the others have started talking about the Constitution and the principles of liberty.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Actually, most Ron Paul supporters believe that changing the system would have prevented the housing crisis in the first place, for a few reasons:...
                          Mainly because everyone would have lived in "Paulvilles."

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Seems like Dr. Paul is having an effect on the republican field... now all three of the others have started talking about the Constitution and the principles of liberty.
                            By losing and becoming irrelevant?

What constitution are they talking about and specifically how does this relate to Paul?

Comment

• Dr. Love
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Ever the bastion of positivity, as always...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jul 2004

Ever the bastion of positivity, as always...
                                Yay!!!!!!

Second Place in a Third Rate State....

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Originally posted by Kristy
                                Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                                Originally posted by cadaverdog
                                I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...