Clear All
  • Satan
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

November 8, 2012
    New York Times
    Let’s Not Make a Deal
    By PAUL KRUGMAN

To say the obvious: Democrats won an amazing victory. Not only did they hold the White House despite a still-troubled economy, in a year when their Senate majority was supposed to be doomed, they actually added seats.

Nor was that all: They scored major gains in the states. Most notably, California — long a poster child for the political dysfunction that comes when nothing can get done without a legislative supermajority — not only voted for much-needed tax increases, but elected, you guessed it, a Democratic supermajority.

But one goal eluded the victors. Even though preliminary estimates suggest that Democrats received somewhat more votes than Republicans in Congressional elections, the G.O.P. retains solid control of the House thanks to extreme gerrymandering by courts and Republican-controlled state governments. And Representative John Boehner, the speaker of the House, wasted no time in declaring that his party remains as intransigent as ever, utterly opposed to any rise in tax rates even as it whines about the size of the deficit.

So President Obama has to make a decision, almost immediately, about how to deal with continuing Republican obstruction. How far should he go in accommodating the G.O.P.’s demands?

My answer is, not far at all. Mr. Obama should hang tough, declaring himself willing, if necessary, to hold his ground even at the cost of letting his opponents inflict damage on a still-shaky economy. And this is definitely no time to negotiate a “grand bargain” on the budget that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

In saying this, I don’t mean to minimize the very real economic dangers posed by the so-called fiscal cliff that is looming at the end of this year if the two parties can’t reach a deal. Both the Bush-era tax cuts and the Obama administration’s payroll tax cut are set to expire, even as automatic spending cuts in defense and elsewhere kick in thanks to the deal struck after the 2011 confrontation over the debt ceiling. And the looming combination of tax increases and spending cuts looks easily large enough to push America back into recession.

Nobody wants to see that happen. Yet it may happen all the same, and Mr. Obama has to be willing to let it happen if necessary.

Why? Because Republicans are trying, for the third time since he took office, to use economic blackmail to achieve a goal they lack the votes to achieve through the normal legislative process. In particular, they want to extend the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, even though the nation can’t afford to make those tax cuts permanent and the public believes that taxes on the rich should go up — and they’re threatening to block any deal on anything else unless they get their way. So they are, in effect, threatening to tank the economy unless their demands are met.

Mr. Obama essentially surrendered in the face of similar tactics at the end of 2010, extending low taxes on the rich for two more years. He made significant concessions again in 2011, when Republicans threatened to create financial chaos by refusing to raise the debt ceiling. And the current potential crisis is the legacy of those past concessions.

Well, this has to stop — unless we want hostage-taking, the threat of making the nation ungovernable, to become a standard part of our political process.

So what should he do? Just say no, and go over the cliff if necessary.

It’s worth pointing out that the fiscal cliff isn’t really a cliff. It’s not like the debt-ceiling confrontation, where terrible things might well have happened right away if the deadline had been missed. This time, nothing very bad will happen to the economy if agreement isn’t reached until a few weeks or even a few months into 2013. So there’s time to bargain.

More important, however, is the point that a stalemate would hurt Republican backers, corporate donors in particular, every bit as much as it hurt the rest of the country. As the risk of severe economic damage grew, Republicans would face intense pressure to cut a deal after all.

Meanwhile, the president is in a far stronger position than in previous confrontations. I don’t place much stock in talk of “mandates,” but Mr. Obama did win re-election with a populist campaign, so he can plausibly claim that Republicans are defying the will of the American people. And he just won his big election and is, therefore, far better placed than before to weather any political blowback from economic troubles — especially when it would be so obvious that these troubles were being deliberately inflicted by the G.O.P. in a last-ditch attempt to defend the privileges of the 1 percent.

Most of all, standing up to hostage-taking is the right thing to do for the health of America’s political system.

So stand your ground, Mr. President, and don’t give in to threats. No deal is better than a bad deal.
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Krugman is an idiot. Let's fuck over all of America to make a point, huh? The Middle Class stands to lose a hell of a lot more if all of this goes into effect. It's more than just tax rates.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Satan
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Comment

• Satan
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
          Krugman is an idiot. Let's fuck over all of America to make a point, huh? The Middle Class stands to lose a hell of a lot more if all of this goes into effect. It's more than just tax rates.
          Fuck over all of America??

That's what the dragonshit, Bizarro world Robin Hood, Two Santa Clauses, trickle down "supply side" fucked up Randtard economic policies of the last 32 years have done.

And now is the time to undo ALL of it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Obama needs to audit the Federal Reserve and we need to get down to the bottom of that fraud. If we don't start doing something there this nation is going to start to suffer ball breaking inflation. It will make the cost of food and energy extremely high and negatively affect everyone. That's the biggest time bomb I see in the future. The soundness of the currency.

The election is over. Obama has four more years. It's time for us citizens to put the pressure on because if we don't get this out of control money printing under control, everyone suffers.
            Last edited by Nitro Express; 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

The US Federal Government is one big huge fail train steaming hard for the edge of a cliff. Once failure hits a certain momentum, it's hard to stop and the cliff is getting closer. My plan is to get off the train and watch the spectacular crash from a safe distance.

Anyone our age that still believes in Social Security or the government will be there for you is an idiot. I will never see any of the money I paid into the system.

Obama winning might have avoided a big conflict with Iran. There is still some saber rattling going on but I think the era of the US Dollar being the world reserve currency and the US being policeman of the world is coming to an end. The downfall will be the dollar itself. That is the time bomb.
                Last edited by Nitro Express; 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I don't pay into the system...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Neither do I. I vote the candidate. I voted for Rocky Anderson. I really didn't have any beef with Mitt Romney. I kind of found the character attacks the Democrats were cooking up or blowing way out of proportion amusing. Personally but I don't like the Republican machine that was backing him or that attack Iran bit.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      I don't pay into the system...
                      We've noticed...

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

FORD, your two most recent Satan posts are in direct contrast to one another - you know that, right? The post with the article by Krugman advocates letting taxes for everyone rise, including the Middle Class, then blaming the Republicans.

The video then has Obama blabbing about extending Middle Class tax cuts.

Make up your mind...or is one opinion yours and the other your alter-ego Satan's?
                          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The Satan persona is Ford's inner Republican...
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Wait....FORD's Satan?

Wow, next thing you'll tell me is that Jesus Christ isn't a real poster here
                              Last edited by kwame k; 11-11-2012, 11:37 AM.
                              Originally posted by vandeleur
                              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Satan
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                                FORD, your two most recent Satan posts are in direct contrast to one another - you know that, right? The post with the article by Krugman advocates letting taxes for everyone rise, including the Middle Class, then blaming the Republicans.

The video then has Obama blabbing about extending Middle Class tax cuts.

Make up your mind...or is one opinion yours and the other your alter-ego Satan's?
                                Actually, they're both correct.

The best approach would actually be to let ALL of Chimpy's tax cuts expire, THEN pass new tax cuts for the middle class. Why is this the best solution?

Because the Republicans are in two camps.... You have the obstructionist douchebags who don't want to cooperate with this President on any level. Nothing that can be done about them, except expose them as the assholes they are, and then vote them out in 2014.

The other camp may be willing to work, except they signed that idiotic pledge to Grover Norquist which says they will not raise taxes. And even though it violates their oath to the Constitution, they will probably keep their loyalty to Norquist over their loyalty to the country. So then, you take that issue completely off the table. It's not raising taxes to let the Chimp tax "cuts" expire, as they were designed to be temporary to begin with. And then they vote FOR tax cuts which go to those who actually NEED them, which actually keeps their pledge to that fucking Randtard bathtub drowning imbecile.

See how easy that is? Let's hope the President does.

Comment

Working...