X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
    If you like , maybe the puritans didnt leave because they were not happy with the English church's refusal to adopt their more radical practices.
    Dude, that's not even close to the truth...

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

The Puritans Leave England For America

Link!

We’ve seen that the English Puritans wanted to wipe out poverty, encourage private enterprise, and vigorously embrace the newly emergent capitalist system. Their religion spurred them to achieve these goals, but they did not rely on God to work a miracle for them. The Puritans had many converts from the nobility, powerful men who sat in the House of Lords, and most Puritans of common birth were politically active. The Puritans had members in both houses of Parliament and agitated constantly at court and in the popular press for the changes they desired.

Unfortunately, the Puritans would not abandon their insistence that the Anglican Church (or Church of England), the state church, be radically “purified” (hence their name) and stripped of its remaining Catholic qualities. Elizabeth I and James I after her took a firm hand in stopping such religious agitation, which invariably led to bloodshed and public turmoil, and seemed to promise eventual civil war. (These fears would be realized in the Thirty Years’ War and the English Civil War.) England had gone through extremely divisive religious conflict during the reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, and Mary, and had landed as a unique Protestant nation: the original Catholic church in England was taken over by the English government, completely separate from the Roman Catholic Church governed by Rome. The Anglican church was sort of neutral or Protestant-by-default, but it was not Lutheran or Calvinist. Anglicanism avoided both submission to Rome and affiliation with European Lutherans or Calvinists.

This policy had maintained a fragile peace in England since 1558, when Elizabeth I took the throne. Puritans who agitated for further reformation, with a Calvinist bent, were not looked upon with kindness. James I particularly loathed the Puritans and their near-relations, the Separatists, who decided Anglicanism could not be purified, and therefore separated from it, leaving the church. Puritans and Separatists were persecuted in England as traitors.

By refusing to drop their demands for religious change, the Puritans sabotaged their efforts to get their social reforms passed. By the 1620s, many Puritans were beginning to fear that God had abandoned England, and was about to punish it, perhaps destroy it. When William Laud, a pro-Catholic Puritan hater, was made Archbishop of Canterbury–head of the Anglican church–in 1630, he launched a Puritan eradication campaign that made life very dangerous for Puritans of all walks of life.

In that year, a small group of influential Puritans left England. Led by John Winthrop, a well-known royal lawyer and property owner, they left to establish a safe space in America where Puritans could wait out God’s wrath on England. While England was punished, America would thrive, regenerating a holy people to lead England back to God’s grace. They founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630, with its seat of government in Boston.

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

Which bit ?
        By the way am not picking a fight or looking to be insulted

Wiki

In England, many people came to question the organization of the Church of England by the end of the sixteenth century. One of the primary manifestations of this was the Puritan movement, which sought to "purify" the existing Church of England of its many residual Catholic rites that they believed had no mention in the Bible.
        A strong believer in the notion of rule by divine right, England's Charles I persecuted religious dissenters. Waves of repression led to the migration of about 20,000 Puritans to New England between 1629 and 1642, where they founded multiple colonies.

Basically the puritans went to America due to there being to much dancing and merry making in England under Charles the first .
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          Link!

We’ve seen that the English Puritans wanted to wipe out poverty, encourage private enterprise, and vigorously embrace the newly emergent capitalist system....

Don't forget hang witches!

What a bunch of happy horseshit! I'm a direct decent to some on the Mayflower and I don't believe they were some nostalgic American utopians! They were very intolerant and anti-democratic, and began the process of wiping out the initially friendly Native American tribes...

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

where Puritans could wait out God’s wrath on England. While England was punished, America would thrive, regenerating a holy people to lead England back to God’s grace.

Mmmmm slightly revisionist.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Whatever, Dickforbreath...

You sound much more intelligent when you use Wiki...

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Check out your new name, Wikiforbrains...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  Whatever, Dickforbreath...

You sound much more intelligent when you use Wiki...
                  I'm not doing the Gaggle searches for self-serving bullshit...

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

Have you looked on the site ?? It's not a history site it's the propaganda arm of the Puritan liberation army

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Religous Persecution

Link!

Execution of Mennonites

This engraving depicts the execution of David van der Leyen and Levina Ghyselins, described variously as Dutch Anabaptists or Mennonites, by Catholic authorities in Ghent in 1554. Strangled and burned, van der Leyen was finally dispatched with an iron fork. Bracht's Martyr's Mirror is considered by modern Mennonites as second only in importance to the Bible in perpetuating their faith.

The religious persecution that drove settlers from Europe to the British North American colonies sprang from the conviction, held by Protestants and Catholics alike, that uniformity of religion must exist in any given society. This conviction rested on the belief that there was one true religion and that it was the duty of the civil authorities to impose it, forcibly if necessary, in the interest of saving the souls of all citizens. Nonconformists could expect no mercy and might be executed as heretics. The dominance of the concept, denounced by Roger Williams as "inforced uniformity of religion," meant majority religious groups who controlled political power punished dissenters in their midst. In some areas Catholics persecuted Protestants, in others Protestants persecuted Catholics, and in still others Catholics and Protestants persecuted wayward coreligionists. Although England renounced religious persecution in 1689, it persisted on the European continent. Religious persecution, as observers in every century have commented, is often bloody and implacable and is remembered and resented for generations.

Comment

• envy_me
                        Swedish Love Pump
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Dec 2010

Yeah, between this and the chat I see how violence is a problem there, lol
                        The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• envy_me
                          Swedish Love Pump
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by nickdfresh

Edit: damn these smileys. Can't somebody just make smileys match the emotion they are supposed to show. This has been frustrating me for almost a year now.

Last edited by envy_me; 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by envy_me
                            Edit: damn these smileys

Told you

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

So E can I get a re cap here :

You think organised religion has done terrible things in the name of god .
                              Such terrible things that people have had to flee these terrible acts ?

And that both the catholic and Protestant church have things to answer for ?

Comment

• envy_me
                                Swedish Love Pump
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vandeleur
                                Told you
                                How can : + o be

HOW??? It's not right! I wish I had a gun now...

Comment

Working...