Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anonymous
    Banned
    • May 2004

I'm closer to your world than you might think. I live in Europe's Florida. Summer 9 months of the year, oranges year round & old people from every country come live here when they retire.

And yes.

Yes, there's lots of incredibly stupid people here.

Cheers!

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
      I'm closer to your world than you might think. I live in Europe's Florida. Summer 9 months of the year, oranges year round & old people from every country come live here when they retire.

And yes.

Yes, there's lots of incredibly stupid people here.

Cheers!
      You and me both...Mad Max bus drivers at the end of the Earth...connecting people between the last functioning Starbucks and Taco Bell, all holding dated copies of People magazine. "Katy Perry was hot back then...Who were these Van Harrow guys?"

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Anonymous
        Banned
        • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
        You and me both...Mad Max bus drivers at the end of the Earth...connecting people between the last functioning Starbucks and Taco Bell, all holding dated copies of People magazine. "Katy Perry was hot back then...Who were these Van Harrow guys?"
        Chef, you gotta hook me up with a job in your library. I've been meaning to emigrate anyway & I'd be more than accustomed to the climate. Both of weather & stupidity.

Then we can spend all day in our argyle sweaters, smoking our pipes & making snarky, off-topic comments about and/or with each & every person that drops by.

I suppose we could find a few minutes everyday to catalogue the books, put them back in the shelves & hire hit-men to hunt down any tardy readers.

Cheers!

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Terry, my friend. Usually, the only fault I find with your posts, is that there's not enough of them.

However, much as it pains me, I must disagree with you on this. Were it that this behaviour was confined within the borders of your frankly hilarious country, but no. All over the world, the average adult is becoming more & more infantile.

What spurred this on, I cannot say. Maybe it's the result of a couple of generations educated solely by television? The widespread usage of the internet & becoming more & more reliant on nanny states have quite probably helped.

I certainly read enough articles discussing what videogames & films are teaching the youth. Let me rephrase that. It's considered normal to discuss with a straight face, the educating aspects of ENTERTAINMENT. And THAT, in itself, is scarier than anything else.

There's no responsibility. Nobody wants to be held accountable. Everyone shifts blame & hopes it sticks.

You know. Just like children in the playground.

Cheers!
          It would certainly be short-sighted of me to assume the United States has a monopoly on infantile behavior displayed on a regular basis by a majority of adults, or to make a conclusion that this would be a uniquely American problem.

Having not, with the exception of a few vacations in the Caribbean, spent any appreciable amount of time outside of the United States since the late 1980s, I was just giving the benefit of the doubt to the rest of the world. More out of a sense of hope than anything else. You see, I consider the United States to be the Baby Huey of the world. Just a big, clueless infant which wanders around taking what it wants and doing what it likes, regardless of the cost to others. Not necessarily with an evil intent, but just out of sheer cluelessness combined with the misguided belief that we somehow know what's best for the rest of the world. And as an American to even say such a thing evokes the response from a not insignificant number of my fellow countrymen along the lines "hey, motherfucker, America - love it or leave it."

To have confirmation that this permanent state of perpetual adolescence isn't confined to the borders of the country I live in - to actually be made aware of it rather than merely suspecting it (and thus still be able to cling to an illusion that I could be wrong) - is disconcerting to say the least.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Anonymous
            Banned
            • May 2004

Originally posted by Terry
            You see, I consider the United States to be the Baby Huey of the world. Just a big, clueless infant which wanders around taking what it wants and doing what it likes, regardless of the cost to others. Not necessarily with an evil intent, but just out of sheer cluelessness combined with the misguided belief that we somehow know what's best for the rest of the world.

This may be the most beautiful thing I've ever read. And for once, I'm not taking at the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. I shouldn't even have to say this, but I don't believe invisible lines created by men - aka borders - magically transform people into different beings, so any time I make fun of Amerika or any other country is just to twist the retarded patriot's frilly, soiled panties.

It's just that it's such a brilliant metaphor for Reality that it becomes factual, wraps around on itself & achieves poetic grandeur. It's magnificent.

Cheers!

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

This may be the most beautiful thing I've ever read. And for once, I'm not taking at the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. I shouldn't even have to say this, but I don't believe invisible lines created by men - aka borders - magically transform people into different beings, so any time I make fun of Amerika or any other country is just to twist the retarded patriot's frilly, soiled panties.

It's just that it's such a brilliant metaphor for Reality that it becomes factual, wraps around on itself & achieves poetic grandeur. It's magnificent.

Cheers!
              Praise from Caesar.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                I'm seeing Mad Max this week in 3D FFS!!

Comment

Working...