• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Who eats produce? We're supposedly all F A T
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
      Who eats produce? We're supposedly all F A T
      Well, eating other peoples' prescription pain pills will make you skinny!

Comment

• cadaverdog
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        To be honest, I've drunk some very respectable Yankee beers. But what is beer if it isn't either Belgian or Czech?
        Drinkable?
        The only beer that I've tried that I really enjoyed drinking was San Miguel in the Philippines. It might have been the fact it's hotter than hell there most of the time and they serve it ice cold at most of the bars I've been to there and I've been to quite a few. I've tried it outside of the Philippines but it didn't taste the same.
        Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
          Drinkable?
          The only beer that I've tried that I really enjoyed drinking was San Miguel in the Philippines. It might have been the fact it's hotter than hell there most of the time and they serve it ice cold at most of the bars I've been to there and I've been to quite a few. I've tried it outside of the Philippines but it didn't taste the same.
          Maybe they have a better water source in the Phillipines than where ever else it's made?

Or it could just be the case of draft beer vs cans or bottles? A lot of beers taste different from the tap than from the smaller container (Guinness being one obvious example)
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Or it's just fucking a lot fresher in the Philippines?

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Could be. Beer can go bad if it's stashed in warehouses at high temperatures for any length of time. Not to mention the "skunk" factor if it's in clear or green glass and exposed to UV light
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• cadaverdog
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                My "approved policy" would be to create a "guest-worker" program where they could go back and forth legally and with some restrictions.
                They have such a program in place now. The problem is there's always someone out there working the system to line their own pockets. The growers usually pay an agency x amount of dollars per worker and the agency does everything else. Some growers work with legit agencies that do everything by the book. Some don't. I've found out the same thing goes on here with temp agencies. Some go by the book. Some don't.
                Beware of Dog

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

They have such a program in place now. The problem is there's always someone out there working the system to line their own pockets. The growers usually pay an agency x amount of dollars per worker and the agency does everything else. Some growers work with legit agencies that do everything by the book. Some don't. I've found out the same thing goes on here with temp agencies. Some go by the book. Some don't.

It's a bullshit system but politicians won't allow for actual reform...

Comment

• cadaverdog
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Aug 2007

Or it's just fucking a lot fresher in the Philippines?
                    I don't think they export the stuff they brew there. They reuse the bottles like they used to do with soda pop here years ago. Sometimes you end up with what they call a "green beer". The bottle didn't get clean enough and something inside it ends up giving you the worst case of mud butt you've ever had. I looked for San Miguel at a few of those big booze outlets like BevMo and Liquor Barn but they only sell San Miguel from Spain which is a totally different beer.
                    Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Aug 2007

It's a bullshit system but politicians won't allow for actual reform...
                      If the agencies and the growers actually obeyed the rules it wouldn't be. Just like the employment verification paper you fill out here to work. Some companies make sure all your documents are legit. Some don't.
                      Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by FORD
                        Maybe they have a better water source in the Phillipines than where ever else it's made?

Or it could just be the case of draft beer vs cans or bottles? A lot of beers taste different from the tap than from the smaller container (Guinness being one obvious example)
                        When I was there they only served San Miguel in glass bottles. From what I was told at the time they use little or no preservatives.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I don't think they export the stuff they brew there. They reuse the bottles like they used to do with soda pop here years ago. Sometimes you end up with what they call a "green beer". The bottle didn't get clean enough and something inside it ends up giving you the worst case of mud butt you've ever had. I looked for San Miguel at a few of those big booze outlets like BevMo and Liquor Barn but they only sell San Miguel from Spain which is a totally different beer.
                          Apparently the Spanish San Miguel used to be a division of the same company, but has since spun off into a completely different corporate entity, now owned by a different company entirely....

Relation with San Miguel Beer (Spain)

As part of its overseas expansion, San Miguel began its foray into the Spanish market in 1953, setting up the company which would later become San Miguel Spain. Since 1946, there has been a company engaged in the production of malt for medicinal purposes known as La Segarra. In the early 1950s, its key shareholders Enrique Suárez Rezona, Ramón Vidal and Jaime Muñiz made contact with Andres Soriano, then president of San Miguel Brewery, to allow them to produce beer under the San Miguel name in Spain. In 1953, San Miguel Brewery, Inc. signed the “Manila Agreement”, with the Philippine brewer setting up a new Spanish brewery, La Segarra, S.A.. The company would later be renamed San Miguel Fabricas de Cerveza y Malta, S.A. in 1957, an affiliate of San Miguel Brewery, Inc. which initially held 20% equity share via its Hong Kong subsidiary.

The company was acquired by Mahou, S.A. from Groupe Danone in 2000, combining to form Spain’s largest brewer, the Mahou-San Miguel Group. On 26th February 2014, San Miguel Brewing International and Mahou-San Miguel signed a co-operation agreement to promote jointly San Miguel Beer and expand its global footprint.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Nov 2004

I wish that was our Bud and once upon a time our Budweiser was pretty close until prohibition probably...

BTW, the two companies are unrelated and there has been litigation in the past...

I actually wish we had your Frenchie beer which is rated much higher than most other Euro pilsner and lagers here by beer geeks:

1664 is the one I'll have most often. It has that particular smoked taste you find in pilseners, and Northern French Ch'ti, which has the same smoked touch:

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Nov 2004

Drinkable?
                              San Miguel is a real treat in hot temperatures, I agree. I've drunk liters in the Canary Islands and the Azores. Rather tasteless, piss-beer, but so light and refreshing when you have it very cold...
                              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

I can say this with much authority although I willing to do more research. Beer in its home country is better than the shit they sell abroad .
                                See Heineken in Amsterdam or Guinness in Ireland .
                                Especially Heineken it's not great over here but in the dam it tastes like heaven in a glass :-)
                                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Working...